1 [U] belief in the existence of a god or gods, who has/have created the universe and given man a spiritual nature which continues to exist after the death of the body 宗教信仰.
2 [C] particular system of faith and worship based on such a belief 宗教
*the Christian, Buddhist and Hindu religions 基督教、佛教和印度教
* practise one's religion 用自己的宗教信仰指导行动.
3 [sing] (fig 比喻) controlling influence on one's life; sth one is devoted or committed to 支配自己生活的大事; 一心追求的或务必做到的事情
*Football is like a religion for Bill. 对比尔来说, 足球就是他天大的乐趣.
* make a religion of always being punctual 把遵守时间奉为圭臬.
[Date: 1100-1200; Language: Latin;Origin: religio, probably from religare; RELY]
a belief in one or more gods
The U.S. Constitution promises freedom of religion.
a course on philosophy and religion
a particular system of this belief and all the ceremonies and duties that are related to it
people of different religions
the Islamic religion
The tribe practised a religion that mixed native beliefs and Christianity.
to suddenly become interested in religion in a way that seems strange to other people
Miller found religion in prison.
sth is (like) a religion
used when saying that something is very important to someone and they are extremely interested in it and spend a lot of time doing it, watching it etc
Football was a religion in my family.
WORD FOCUS: religion
faith one of the world's main religions, for example Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, Judaism, or Christianity
church a Christian religious group, for example the Catholic Church
sect a religious group that is part of a larger religious group but has slightly different beliefs, for example a Buddhist sect
cult an extreme religious group that is not part of an established religion
faith community a group of people living in the same area, who have a particular religion
secular not relating to religion or any religious group
See also: religious, devout, orthodox, holy, sacred, atheist, agnostic
1. Though he was tortured to make him change his religion, the prisoner would not recant. 那囚犯虽受酷刑迫他改变他的宗教信仰，但他绝不改变。
2. He doesn´t believe in religion. 他不信教。
3. Abjure one´s religion 发誓放弃其宗教信仰。
4. "Have you ever ordered, caused, assisted, or otherwise participated in the torture of any person because of race, religion, national origin, or political opinion under the control, direct or indirect, of the Nazi Government of Germany, or of the 你是否在德国纳粹政府、或任何被纳粹德国政府占领、或与之结盟地区的政府的直接或间接控制下，因为种族、宗教、国籍或政治观点的原因，而下令、致使、帮助或以其他方式参与了对任何人的拷打吗？你曾经参与过灭绝种族的大屠杀吗？
5. Some people are surprised when they learn of this old custom because they think people of southern Germany followed the Catholic (天主教的) religion, which teach marriage is a holy right given by God in order to create children. 有些人在得知这个古老的风俗后感到很吃惊，因为他们认为德国南部的人信奉天主教，天主教教导人们: 婚姻是上帝赐给人们生育孩子的一种神圣权利。
6. One can draw examples from genius in any field, from religion, philosophy, and literature to art and music, even in mathematics, science, and technical invention, although these are often thought to depend only on logic and experiment. 无论是宗教、哲学、文学，还是艺术、音乐，甚至数学、科学，以及技术发明，在任何领域的天才人物身上，我们都能找到这样的例子，虽然人们常常认为数学、科学，以及技术发明所依赖的仅仅是逻辑和实验。
7. Indonesians have traditionally favored large families, and their major religion, Islam, frowns on birth control. 印度尼西亚人传统上偏爱大家庭，他们的主要宗教伊斯兰教不赞成节制生育。
8. It is assumed that they are of the same religion and social level. 一般认为双方都应有同一宗教信仰，属于同一社会阶层。