动词过去式:remained 过去分词:remained 现在分词:remaining 第三人称单数:remains
v (usu not used in the continuous tenses 通常不用于进行时态)
1 [I] be left or still present after other parts have been removed or used or dealt with 剩下; 剩余; 遗留
*After the fire, very little remained of my house. 火灾过後, 寒舍所剩无几.
* If you take
3 from 8,
5 remains. 8减3剩5.
* The fact remains that she was lying. 事实表明她说的是假话.
* leave the remaining points for our next meeting 余下的各点留待下次会议再议.
2 [It] (fml 文) be left to be seen, done, said, etc 留待以後去看、去做、去说等
*It remains to be seen (ie We shall know later) whether you are right. 你是否正确, 以後可见分晓.
* Much remains to be done. 要做的事情还很多.
* Nothing remains except for me to say goodbye. 最後我该说一声再见了.
3 [I, Ipr, Ip] (esp fml 尤作庄重语) stay in the same place; stay behind 停留; 逗留; 留下
*I remain in London until May. 我在伦敦一直呆到五月.
* The aircraft remained on the ground. 那飞机仍停在地面.
* She left, but I remained (behind). 她走了, 我没走.
4 [La, Ln] continue to be; stay in the same condition 仍然是; 保持不变
*remain standing, seated, etc 一直站着、坐着等
* He remained silent. 他保持沉默.
* Let things remain as they are. 一切保持现状吧.
* In spite of their quarrel, they remained the best of friends. 他们尽管吵过架, 却仍不失为最好的朋友.
1300-1400; Language: Old French;Origin:
remaindre, from Latin
remanere, from manere 'to stay'
] [I always + adverb/preposition, linking verb]
to continue to be in the same state or condition Please remain seated until all the lights are on. We remained friends. The boy remained silent .remain as Despite the job losses, Parker remained as manager.remain unclear/unchanged/unanswered etc Many scientists remain unconvinced by the current evidence. [I]formal
to stay in the same place without moving away
= stayremain at/in/with etc She was too ill to remain at home. The refugees were allowed to remain in the UK. [I]
to continue to exist or be left after others have gone, been used, or been destroyed Little of the original building remains. The score is tied, with fifteen minutes remaining. What remains of his original art collection is now in the city museum. [I]
to be left after other things have been dealt withremain to be done Several points remain to be settled. There remained a few jobs still to be finished. The fact remains that racism is still a considerable problem.it remains to be seen
used to say that it is still uncertain whether something will happen or is true It remains to be seen whether the operation was successful.
HINT sense 2
In spoken English it is more usual to use stay
1. But the chances are against it, and there is a virtual limit on how long we can hope to remain alive, however lucky and robust we are. 但这种可能性很小。不管我们多么幸运，多么健壮，我们所希望的长寿实际上是有限度的。
2. But I did not know that the sun could shine and the air remain cold; no one had ever told me. 但我不知道阳光灿烂时，空气还会是冰冷的，从来没有人告诉过我这一点。
3. But because patients no longer remain sleeping logs, nurses get to know them sooner and help them recover, says one team member. "That's nice." 但是，由于病人不再像木头似地沉睡，护士们能很快熟悉他们，并帮助他们康复起来，一位小组成员说，"这太好了。"
4. When research into cloning is resumed, human cloning should remain a research activity for an extended period. 当克隆研究重新开始时，克隆人类应该仍然是一项历时长久的研究活动。
5. The main complicating facts of human life must remain unintelligible. 人类生活中最为主要的日趋复杂的现实就难以理解。
6. Though Verrazano is by no means considered to be a great explorer, his name will probably remain immortal, 虽然维拉萨诺绝对算不上一个伟大的探险家，但他的名字将流芳百世，
7. Though most foreign students remain in California, some are sent to Texas, Arizona, Idaho, Oklahoma or Virginia. 虽然大多数外国学生将留在加利福尼亚州，但也有人要被送往德克萨斯、亚利桑那、爱达荷、俄克拉荷马及弗吉尼亚等州去。
8. The government promises it will protect the region’s native people, but questions remain as to its true level of commitment. 巴西政府承诺，将保护该地区的土著居民，但人们对这个承诺的可信度仍心存疑虑。
9. Too many foreigners slip in as tourists and then try to remain on grounds of marriage. 以旅游者身份进入美国、然后以结婚为理由留下来的外国人太多了。
10. The French remain afraid that their language will die out. 法国人一直害怕他们的语言会消亡。