名词:renewer 动词过去式:renewed 过去分词:renewed 现在分词:renewing 第三人称单数:renews
re-=again,back 变化型 red-,ren-
/rɪ'nju:; [US] -'nu:; rɪ`nu/
1 [Tn] replace (sth) with sth new of the same kind 将（某物）换成新的; 更新（某物）
*renew worn tyres, bearings, brake-blocks, etc 更换磨损的轮胎、轴承、闸瓦等
* renew the water in the goldfish bowl 给金鱼缸换水
* renew (ie replenish) one's stock of coal 补充煤的储存量
* The light bulb needs renewing. 灯泡该换新的了.
2 [Tn esp passive 尤用于被动语态] (fig 比喻) put new life and vigour into (sb/sth); restore 赋予（某人[某事物]）新的生命和活力; 使复元
*work with renewed enthusiasm 以新的热情工作
* The brandy renewed his strength/energy. 他喝了白兰地後就又恢复了体力.
* After praying, I felt spiritually renewed. 我祷告之後觉得精神焕然一新.
* Her kindness made him regard her with renewed affection. 她十分体贴, 使他对她重生情愫.
3 (a) [Tn] take up or begin (sth) again, eg after a break or pause; resume 重新做或开始（某事物）（如中断或休止之後）; 恢复
*renew an attack 重新发起进攻
* We renewed our journey the next day. 次日我们继续旅行.
* renewed outbreaks of terrorist violence 恐怖分子的暴行又卷土重来
* renew one's efforts/attempts to break a record 为破纪录而再接再厉.
(b) [Tn, Tn.pr] ~ sth (with sb/sth) make or form sth again; re-establish sth 重新缔造或重又形成某事物; 重建
*renew a friendship, relationship, acquaintance, etc 重新建立友谊、关系等
* The pilot renewed contact with the control tower. 飞行员同指挥塔恢复了联系.
(c) [Tn] say or state (sth) again; reaffirm 再说或重述（某事物）; 重申
*renew a request, complaint, criticism, protest 再次提出要求、申诉、批评、抗议
* We renewed our marriage vows. 我们又一次重复了我们的婚誓.
* I renewed my offer of help. 我重申愿给予帮助.
4 [Tn] arrange for (sth) to be valid without a break; extend 使（某事物）延期, 续期, 延长, 延伸
*renew a passport, permit, lease, contract 延长护照、许可证、租约、合同的期限
* renew one's subscription to a journal, membership of a club, etc 续订一份刊物、办理俱乐部会员的延期手续
* renew one's library books (ie extend the period during which one can borrow them) for another week 把图书馆的书续借一周.
to arrange for an agreement or official document to continue for a further period of timerenew sb's contract/licence/membership etc I need to renew my passport this year.formal
to begin doing something again after a period of not doing it
= resume Local people have renewed their efforts to save the school. Police renewed their appeal for witnesses.renew a friendship/acquaintance etc
(=become friendly with someone again)
to remove something that is old or broken and put a new one in its place
= replace The window frames need to be renewed.renew a book
to arrange to borrow a library book for a further period of time
1. But each time you recover that valued self-worth, you renew (重新开始) a fight to keep it. 但是每当你重新找回那珍贵的自尊时，你又得开始一场新的战斗来维护它。
2. We need to renew a carpet. 我们得更换一块地毯.
3. My visa will expiration soon so I must renew it. Where should I go? 我的签证即将到期, 所以我必须换新它, 我应该到哪里呢?
4. My visa will expire soon so I must renew it. Where should I go? 我的签证即将到期, 所以我必须换新它, 我应该到哪里呢?
5. Giving her the painful facts concerning her chance to renew herself, I told her I thought the claims of such miracle cures were ridiculous. 在向她说明岁月无情，要改变现实可能性不大之后，我告诉她我认为这些灵丹妙药所宣传的都很荒谬。