1 [U] quality of being resolute or firm; determination 坚决; 坚定; 坚毅
*show great resolution 表现得十分坚定
* a man lacking in resolution 缺乏毅力的人
* His speech ended on a note of resolution. 他演讲结束时语调很坚决.
2 [C] decision or mental pledge to do or not to do sth; resolve 决定;决心
*make, keep good resolutions 下定决心
* her resolution never to marry 她永远不嫁的决心
* New Year resolutions, eg not to smoke in the new year ahead 新年伊始下的决心（如来年戒烟）.
3 [C] formal statement of opinion agreed on by a committee or assembly, esp by means of a vote 正式决定; 决议
*pass, carry, adopt, reject a resolution 通过、赞同、采纳、否决一决议
* a resolution in favour of/demanding better conditions 赞成[要求]改善环境的决议
* a resolution that conditions should be improved 改善环境的决议.
4 [U] (fml 文) solution 解决; 解答
*the resolution of a problem, question, difficulty, doubt, etc 难题、问题、困难、疑问等的解决.
5 [U] ~ (into sth) process of separating sth or being separated into constituent parts 分解; 解析
*the resolution of white light into the colours of the spectrum 将白色的光分解成光谱的各种颜色.
a formal decision or statement agreed on by a group of people, especially after a votepass/adopt/approve a resolution The resolution was passed by a two-thirds majority. a resolution calling for a ban on dumping nuclear waste They have failed to comply with the resolution.【SOLUTION】 [singular,U]
when someone solves a problem, argument, or difficult situationresolution of a forum for the resolution of commercial disputes【PROMISE】[C]
a promise to yourself to do something
→resolveresolution to do sth Carol made a resolution to work harder at school.New Year's resolution
(=a resolution made on January 1st) 【DETERMINATION】[U]
strong belief and determination Then, with sudden resolution, she stood up.【CLEAR PICTURE】 [U and C]
the power of a television, camera, microscope
etc to give a clear picturehigh/low resolution
(=how clear or unclear the picture is)
1. Murrow knew that Britain's fate depended upon the resolution of the people in the shops and streets, the men in the pubs, the housewives, those watching for fire on the roofs, the people who had a thousand difficult and painful things to do. 默罗知道英国的命运取决于这些人的决心：商店里和马路上的人们、酒店里喝酒的男人们、家庭妇女们、那些在屋顶上监视着火情的人们、那些有无数困难而痛苦的事情要做的人们。
2. Many schools have started conflict resolution programs to calm tensions that otherwise can build up like a volcano preparing to explode, ultimately resulting in physical violence. 许多学校都已经启动了化解冲突的工作项目，以舒缓紧张形势，要不然它们就会像火山一样蓄势待发，最终导致侵犯人身的暴力行为。
3. Courage and resolution are the spirit and soul of virtue. 勇敢和坚决是美德的灵魂。
4. I still haven´t given up my resolution to do more reading. 但我还没有放弃多看些书的决心。