名词:respecter 动词过去式:respected 过去分词:respected 现在分词:respecting 第三人称单数:respects
spec,spect＝to see,to look（看见）
1 [U] ~ (for sb/sth) admiration felt or shown for a person or thing that has good qualities or achievements; regard 尊敬; 敬重; 钦敬
*a mark, token, etc of respect 尊敬的标志、表示等
* have a deep, sincere, etc respect for sb 深深地、由衷地...敬重某人
* I have the greatest respect for you/hold you in the greatest respect. 我非常尊敬您.
* The new officer soon won/earned the respect of his men. 那新来的军官很快博得了士兵的钦敬.
2 [U] ~ (for sb/sth) politeness or consideration arising from admiration or regard 尊敬之表示; 尊重之情
*Children should show respect for their teachers. 学生要尊敬老师.
* Out of respect, he took off his hat. 他脱帽以示敬意.
* have some, little, no, etc respect for sb's feelings 相当、不太、毫不...尊重某人的感情
* With (all due) respect, sir, I disagree. 先生, 恕我直言, 我不能同意.
3 [U] ~ (for sb/sth) protection or recognition 维护; 承认; 尊重
*very little respect for human rights 极不尊重人权.
4 [C] particular aspect or detail 方面; 着眼点
*in this one respect 在这一点上
* in some/all/many/several/few respects 在某些[各个/许多/几个/极少]方面
* In what respect do you think the film is biased? 你认为影片在哪一方面失之偏颇?
5 (idm 习语) in respect of sth (fml or commerce 文或商) as regards sth; with special reference to sth 关于某事物; 就某方面而言
*The book is admirable in respect of style. 这本书风格极佳.
* price rises in respect of gas and water costs 煤气费和水费涨价. with respect to sth (fml or commerce 文或商) concerning sth 涉及、提到或关于某事物
*This is true with respect to English but not to French. 这一点在英语属实而在法语则不同.
* With respect to your enquiry, I enclose an explanatory leaflet. 关于你的询问, 兹附上有关说明资料.
1 [Tn, Tn.pr] ~ sb/sth (for sth) admire or have a high opinion of sb/sth (because of sth) （因某事物）尊敬或敬重某人[某事物]
*I respect you for your honesty. 由于你为人正直, 我对你十分敬重.
2 [Tn] show consideration for (sb/sth) 重视、考虑或尊重（某人[某事物]）
*respect sb's wishes, opinions, feelings, etc 尊重某人的意愿、意见、感情等
* respect the environment, eg by protecting it 重视环境问题（如保护环境）
* People won't respect my (desire for) privacy. 大家都不顾及我（希望享有的）个人自由.
3 [Tn, Cn.n/a] ~ sth (as sth) avoid interfering with or harming sth; agree to recognize 不干预或不损害某事物; 承认某事物
*respect sb's rights, privileges, etc 承认某人的权利、特权等
* respect a treaty, contract, etc 遵守条约、合同等
* respect diplomatic immunity (eg of foreign embassy staff to British law) as valid 承认外交豁免权有效.
4 [Tn] ~ oneself have proper respect for one's own character and behaviour 自重; 自尊
*If you don't respect yourself, how can you expect others to respect you? 自己不自重, 又怎能受到别人尊重呢?
1. But they'll eventually come to respect your decisions once they learn that nagging and arguing no longer work. 但一旦他们知道不停的抱怨和争论再也不会起作用时，他们最终是会尊重你的决定的。
2. When, for example, a customer first opens an account, he instructs the bank to debit his account only in respect of cheques drawn by himself. 比如，储户首次在银行开户时，嘱咐银行他的存款只能凭本世人签字的支票来提取。
3. It is taught to every member of the tribe so that in this respect everybody is equally equipped for life. 从这个意义上讲，人人受到的有关生活本领的教育是相等的。
4. When children are given too much, it undermines their respect for their parents. 给孩子的东西太多会逐渐削弱他们对父母的尊敬。
5. Why? "One should always respect one's ancestors," she says, "regardless of what they did to bring one into the world." 为什么呢？"不论他们用什么方式将你带到这个世界，" 她说，"人总得尊敬自己的祖先。"
6. This invariably wins them the love and respect of others, for they add colour to the dull routine of everyday life. 这种行为常常为他们赢得别人的爱戴和尊敬，因为他们给单调的日常生活增添了色彩。
7. This invariably wins them the love and respect of others, for they add colour to the dull routine of everyday life. 他们总能赢得别人的喜爱与尊敬，因为他们给平淡单一的日常生活增添了色彩。
8. This kind of variability not only loosens the parents' ability to set limits, it also sours the parent-child relationship to some degree, robbing parents and their children of some of the happiness and mutual respect that is present in healthy famili 这样的反复无定不但削弱了父母管教孩子的能力，同时也在某种程度上使父母与子女之间的关系变味 -- 使家长和子女失去存在于健康家庭里的某些幸福和相互尊重。
9. The continual source of our strength was our mutual trust and respect. 相互信任和尊重是我们俩永不枯竭的力量源泉。
10. Never had such great respect been shown to any common man. 还从来没有一个普通人受过如此礼遇。