名词:responder 动词过去式:responded 过去分词:responded 现在分词:responding 第三人称单数:responds
v [I, Ipr]
1 ~ (to sb/sth) (with sth) give a verbal or written answer （以口头或书面方式）回答
*She asked where he'd been, but he didn't respond. 她问他到什么地方去了, 他却不回答.
* She responded to my letter with a phone call. 她收到我的信, 给我回了个电话.
2 ~ (to sth) (with sth) act in answer to (sth) or because of the action of another; behave in a similar way （对某事物或对他人的行动）反应, 回应, 响应
*He responded to my volley with a backhand, ie in tennis. 他反手一击把我截击的空中球打了回来（网球中）.
* I kicked the dog, which responded by growling/with a growl. 我踢了那条狗, 它便狂吠起来.
3 ~ (to sb/sth) react quickly or favourably (to or because of sb/sth); be easily controlled (by sb/sth) （对某人[某事物]）反应灵敏; 易（为某人[某事物]）控制
*The car responds well to the controls. 这辆汽车操纵灵敏.
* The patient did not respond to treatment. 病人经治疗後未见起色.
* Animals respond to kindness. 动物受到善待能做出反应.
4 ~ (to sb/sth) (of people at a churchservice) make the responses （指在教堂做礼拜的人）应答.
1500-1600; Language: Latin;Origin:
respondere 'to promise in return, answer'
, from spondere; SPONSOR1
to do something as a reaction to something that has been said or done
= reactrespond to Responding to the news, Mr Watt appealed for calm.respond by doing sth The US responded by sending troops into Laos.respond with Villagers responded with offers of help. [I and T]
to say or write something as a replyrespond that He responded that he didn't want to see anyone.respond to Dave didn't respond to any of her emails. [I]
to improve as a result of a particular kind of treatmentrespond to She has responded well to treatment. Colds do not respond to antibiotics.
1. Appreciation of sculpture depends upon the ability to respond to form in three dimensions. 对雕塑的鉴赏力取决于对立体的反应能力。
2. And even after you are handling these decisions in a firmer and more confident manner, you can't expect your children to respond immediately. 还有，即使你以更坚定、更自信的方式实施着你的决定，也不能指望你的孩子会马上作出反应。
3. Arriving from work, he might announce, "Wife, I am home!" And she, restraining the desire to complain about housework, would respond, "Husband, I am glad!" 丈夫下班回家会说，“老婆，我回来了。”而妻子呢，也会克制自己，从不因家务辛苦而向丈夫发牢骚，只说“我真高兴，老公！”
4. "With their new post-surgery process, they have given themselves a greater ability to respond to health care reform." "有了新的术后疗程，他们具备了更强的对医疗改革作出反应的能力。"
5. She asked where he´d been, but he didn´t respond. 她问他到什么地方去了, 他却不回答.
6. If I love you, I respond to most of your major needs as a person. 爱一个人，就要对他作为独立个体的需求做出回应。
7. I struggled uselessly to respond to the instructions of my coach, who was shouting above the roar of the fan to tell me how to ride the wind funnel up and down, left and right, by bending various limbs. 教练的喊声盖过风扇的轰鸣，告诉我如何屈折各肢体来乘着风柱上下左右地飘动，我照着他说的毫无结果地折腾了一番。