/'restrɒnt; [US] -tərənt; `rɛstərənt/
n public place where meals can be bought and eaten 餐馆; 饭店. Cf 参看 cafe.
[Date: 1800-1900; Language: French;Origin: restaurer 'to restore', from Latin restaurare; RESTORE]
a place where you can buy and eat a meal
Chinese/French/Mexican etc restaurant
We went to a little Italian restaurant near Leicester Square.
He took her out for a five-course dinner in a fancy restaurant.
The company runs a chain of restaurants.
A new restaurant has just opened across the road.
WORD FOCUS: restaurant
the person who serves you in a restaurant: waiter, waitress, server(AmE), waitperson(AmE)
the person who cooks your food: chef
the person who welcomes the guests: maitre d', host/hostess(AmE)
a list of the food: menualsobill of fare(formal)
a list of wines and alcoholic drinks: wine listalsodrink list(AmE)
a piece of paper that shows the amount you have to pay for your meal: bill(BrE)check(AmE)
extra money you leave for the waiter or waitress: tip/gratuity(formal)
money that the restaurant charges for service: service charge, cover charge, corkage
See also: café, cafeteria, diner, drive-in, deli, snack bar, bistro
1. But just as Soapy entered the restaurant, the head waiter´s eye fell on his shabby trousers and boots. 然而苏比刚踏进餐馆大门，领班待者的目光就落在了他的破裤子烂鞋上。
2. We went to a restaurant. 我们去了一家饭店。
3. We weren't up to trying our act at an exclusive restaurant, so we wandered around the first floor and left. 我们的演技还达不到上高档餐厅一试身手的水平，所以我们在底楼兜了一圈就走了。
4. They entertained their guests in a restaurant. 他们在饭馆里招待客人。
5. This is an ethnic restaurant. 这是一家具有民族特色的餐馆。
6. That restaurant fleeced the customer. 那家餐厅宰客极狠。
7. To run a restaurant is a lucrative business. 经营餐厅是赚钱的生意。
8. This restaurant is owned by an Italian settler. 这家餐馆由一位意大利移民所有。
9. The pleasantest was to get a good meal at some expensive restaurant, and then, after saying that he could not pay, be quietly arrested by a policeman and sent to prison by the judge. 而最令人愉快的方法莫过于在一家昂贵的餐馆里美餐一顿，然后因付不出钱让警察抓起来。以后，法官自会把他送进监狱。
10. They may miss leisurely business chats in a restaurant or coffee house. 他们也许还会想念在饭店或咖啡馆里谈生意时的那种轻松悠闲的交谈。