名词:restorer 动词过去式:restored 过去分词:restored 现在分词:restoring 第三人称单数:restores
1 [Tn, Tn.pr] ~ sth (to sb/sth) (fml 文) give back (sth lost, etc) to its owner 将（某失物等）归还原主
*Police restored the stolen jewels to the showroom. 警方将被盗的珠宝交还给了陈列室.
2 (a) [Tn.pr] ~ sb/sth to sth bring sb/sth back to a former place or position 使某人[某物]回复到原处或原位
*restore sacked workers to their old jobs 使被解雇的工人复工
* restore an officer to his command 恢复一军官的指挥权
* (fml 文) He restored the dictionary to the shelf. 他把词典放回到书架上.
(b) [Tn, Tn.pr] ~ sb (to sth); ~ sth (to sb) bring sb/sth back to a former condition 使某人[某物]恢复原先的状况
*restore my health/me to health 使我恢复健康
* restore sb's beauty, sight, confidence, etc 恢复某人的姿色、视力、信心等
* The brandy fully/completely restored him. 他喝了白兰地酒以後完全恢复了体力.
* Law and order were quickly restored after the riots. 骚乱过後很快恢复了治安.
* The deposed chief was restored (to power/to his throne). 废黜的酋长重新掌了权.
3 [Tn, Tn.pr] ~ sth (to sb) bring sth back into use, eg after it has lapsed or been withdrawn 重新采用某事物（如终止或取消後）
*restore ancient traditions, rights, ceremonies, etc 恢复古已有之的传统、权利、礼仪等
* restore old laws, taxes, charges, etc 恢复旧时的法律、税制、收费等
* Our Christmas bonus should be restored. 我们发圣诞节赠金的做法应予恢复.
4 [Tn, Tn.pr] ~ sth (to sth) rebuild or repair (a ruined building, work of art, etc) so that it is like the original 重建或修复（被毁之建筑物、艺术品等）
*restore a Roman fort, a vintage car, an oil painting, a china vase, etc 修复罗马的要塞、老式汽车、油画、瓷花瓶等
* The mill was restored to full working order. 这工厂已完全恢复生产. Cf 参看 renovate.
1【former situation】2【positive feeling】3【repair】4【give something back】5【bring back a law】6 restore somebody to power/the throne
1200-1300; Language: Old French;Origin:
restorer, from Latin
restaurare 'to renew, rebuild'
to make something return to its former state or conditionrestore sth to sth The government promises to restore the economy to full strength. She was hoping that the Mediterranean climate would restore her to full health. The National Guard was called in to restore order (=make people stop fighting and breaking the law) when riots broke out. initiatives to restore peace in the Middle Eastrestore (diplomatic) relations with sb Vietnam restored diplomatic relations with South Korea on December 22.restore sb's sight/hearing
(=make someone who cannot hear or who is blind, hear or see again) 【POSITIVE FEELING】
to bring back a positive feeling that a person or a group of people felt before measures aimed at restoring public confidence in the education system a man whose kindness and sincerity really restored my faith in human nature (=helped me to believe that people can be good)【REPAIR】
to repair an old building, piece of furniture, or painting etc so that it is in its original condition The church was carefully restored after the war. a Victorian fireplace restored to its former glory【GIVE SOMETHING BACK】formal
to give back to someone something that was lost or taken from them
= returnrestore sth to sb The treaty restored Okinawa to Japan.【BRING BACK A LAW】
to bring back a law, tax, right etc a campaign to restore the death penaltyrestore sb to power/the throneformal
make someone king, queen, or president again, after a period when they have not been in power
1. Drastic measures will have to be taken to restore order. 为恢复秩序必须采取严厉措施.
2. Gunners using science to shatter men´s bodies while, close at hand, surgeons use it to restore them? 炮手们用科学来毁坏人体, 而外科医生就在近旁用科学使其恢复健康.
3. Goleman is looking for methods to restore "politeness to our streets and caring in our community life". 戈尔曼在寻找方法恢复"大街上的彬彬有礼，社区生活中的互相关心"。
4. Could any spectacle, for instance, be more grimly whimsical than that of gunners using science to shatter men´s bodies while, close at hand, surgeons use it to restore them? 例如：炮兵利用科学毁坏人的身体、而外科医生就在附近用科学抢救被炮兵毁坏的人体，还有什么情景比这更可怕、更怪诞的吗？
5. Once waves have been generated, gravity is the force that drives them in a continual attempt to restore the ocean surface to a flat plain. 一旦波浪形成，地球引力是持续不断企图使海面复原为平面的力量。