名词:retreater 动词过去式:retreated 过去分词:retreated 现在分词:retreating 第三人称单数:retreats
v [I, Ipr, In/pr]
1 (esp of an army, etc) withdraw after being defeated or when faced with danger or difficulty （尤指军队等）（战败後或面临危险或困难时）撤退, 退却
*force the enemy to retreat (behind their lines) 迫使敌人退却（至其阵线後）
* crowds retreating before police fire hoses 面对警方的消防水龙而退却的群众
* We retreated half a mile. 我们後撤了半英里. Cf 参看 advance2 2.
2 (fig 比喻) go away to a place of shelter or privacy 退避; 回避至自己的范围
*retreat into a world of fantasy 遁入幻想世界
* retreat from the public eye 避开公众的眼睛. Cf 参看 retire.
1 [C usu sing, U 作可数名词时通常作单数, 亦作不可数名词] act or instance of retreating 撤退; 退却
*The minister made an undignified retreat from his earlier position. 那部长很不光彩地背离了他原先的立场.
* an orderly retreat from the camp 秩序井然的撤营
* The army was in full retreat. 军队已全线撤退.
2 the retreat [sing] military signal for this 撤退信号
*sound the retreat, eg on a drum or bugle 发出撤退信号（如击鼓或吹号）.
3 (a) [U] withdrawal into privacy or seclusion 退避; 隐遁.
(b) [C] place suitable for this 静居处; 隐居处
*spend weekends at my country retreat 在我的乡间僻静处过周末.
(c) [U, C] (religion 宗) period of withdrawalfrom worldly activities for prayer and meditation 静修（期间）
*go into/be in retreat 去静修[于静修中]
* make an annual retreat 进行一年一度的静修.
4 (idm 习语) beat a retreat => beat1.
1. The parents agree in writing to meet monthly in one of 20 regional groups, go to a yearly three-day regional retreat, and spend at least three times a year in workshops, discussion groups and seminars at Bath. 家长签约同意每月出席一次区小组会议（共20个区小组），每年去区休养所三天，每年至少参加三次巴思市的研修班、讨论组和研讨会。
2. He was glad to get away with a mere twenty pounds and he beat a hasty retreat, clutching the precious bottle under his arm. 他庆幸自己只破费了20英镑便得以脱身。他把那宝贵的瓶子放在腋下夹着，溜之大吉。
3. My father is excited by this story, but I retreat into an even more determined silence. 我爸爸听了这个故事感到兴奋不已，而我则越发往后退缩，更加下定决心保持沉默。
4. I retreat into sleep; I sleep through the day and the night, and my parents can't shake me out of it. 我又蒙头睡觉,从早睡到晚，连父母都无法把我从睡梦中摇醒。