n.回来,返回,来回票,利润,回答 adj.返回的,回程的,报答的,反向的,重现的 vi.回返,归还 vt.归还,回报,报告,获得,回答,返回
名词:returner 动词过去式:returned 过去分词:returned 现在分词:returning 第三人称单数:returns
re-=again,back 变化型 red-,ren-
1 [I, Ipr]
(a) ~ (to...) (from...)come or go back to a place 回; 返回
*return (home) from a holiday 度假归来
* return to Paris from London 从伦敦回巴黎
* She returned to collect her umbrella. 她回来取伞.
(b) ~ (to sb/sth) come or go back to an earlier activity or condition 恢复原先的活动或情况
*doubts, symptoms, suspicions that return constantly 经常反覆出现的疑惑、症状、怀疑
* My good humour/spirits soon returned. 我的心情[情绪]很快又好起来了.
* I shall return to this point (ie discuss it again) later. 我稍後再谈这个问题.
* return to one's old habits 恢复旧习惯
* The bus service has returned to normal after the strike. 罢工结束後公共汽车恢复了正常的运营.
2 (a) [Tn, Tn.pr, Cn.a, Dn.n, Dn.pr] ~ sth (to sth/sb) bring, give, put or send sth back 带回、归还、放回或送回某物
*Please return all empties, ie empty milk bottles. 请把空瓶全部退回.
* (fml 文) She returned the bird to its cage. 她把鸟放回笼子里.
* I returned the letter unopened. 我把那封信原封退回了.
* Please return me my 5/return my
5 to me. 请把我的5英镑还给我.
(b) [Tn] give (sth) in response; reciprocate 给予（某事物）作为报答; 回报; 回礼
*return an invitation, a visit 回请、回访
* return a greeting, stare, salute, etc 回应问候、回瞪一眼、还礼
* return a compliment/favour 回应赞语[报答恩惠]
* I cannot return your love/affection. 我无法回报你的爱[情意].
* The enemy returned our fire. 敌人向我们还击.
* He returned the blow smartly. 他狠狠地还击了一拳.
(c) [Tn] (in cricket, tennis, etc) send (a ball) back （板球、网球等）回击（球）
*return a shot, service, volley, etc 把对方的抽球、发球、凌空球击回.
3 [Tn] (fml 文) state or describe (sth) officially, esp in reply to a formal demand for information 正式宣布或表明（某事物）（尤指回应正式的询问）
*return the details of one's income, ie to a tax inspector 申报个人收入细目（报税）
* The jury returned a verdict of guilty. 陪审团宣布裁决被告有罪.
4 [Tn] give (sth) as profit 产生（利润）
*Our investment accounts return a high rate of interest. 我们的投资项目利润回报很高.
5 [esp passive 尤用于被动语态
*Tn, Tn.pr, Cn.n/a] ~sb (to sth); ~ sb (as sth) elect sb as a Member of Parliament 选举某人为议员
*He was returned to Parliament with a decreased majority. 他以有所减少的多数票当选为议员.
* Smith was returned as MP for Bath. 史密斯当选为巴斯市的议员.
6 [Tn] (dated 旧) say (sth) in answer; reply 回答说（某话）; 答覆
*`Never!' he returned curtly. ｀决不!＇他唐突地答道.
7 (idm 习语) return to the `fold (fml 文) rejoin a group of people, esp a religious or political group with similar beliefs or aims 重新加入组织（尤指具有相同之信仰或目标的宗教或政治组织）.
(a) ~ (to...) (from...)coming or going back to a place 返回
*on my return home (from Italy), ie when I got/get back 我（从意大利）回国时
* [attrib 作定语] a return trip, voyage, flight, etc 陆上、海上、空中等的回程.
(b) ~ (to sth) coming or going back to an earlier activity or condition 恢复原先的活动或情况
*a return of my doubts, symptoms, suspicions 我的疑惑、症状、怀疑再次出现
* the return of spring 春之归来
* a return to normal working hours, old habits 正常工作时间、旧习惯的恢复.
2 [C, U] ~ (to sb/sth) bringing, giving, putting or sending back 带回; 归还; 放回; 送回
*the return of library books, milk bottles, faulty goods 图书馆借阅书籍的归还、牛奶瓶的回收、残货的退货
* The deposit is refunded on return of the vehicle. 押金于归还车辆时退还.
* no deposit, no return, eg as a notice on a non-returnable bottle, etc 不收押金亦不退瓶等（告示用语）
* These flowers are a small return (ie token of thanks) for your kindness. 向您献花聊表谢忱.
* Her return of service (ie at tennis) was very fast. 她击回发球很快（在网球赛中）.
* [attrib 作定语] return shots 击回抽球.
3 [C] official report or statement, esp one made in reply to a formal demand 正式报告或陈述（尤指回应正式要求的）
*make one's`(income-)tax return 做所得税的申报
* the e`lection returns, ie figures of the voting at an election 选举结果报告（公布票数）.
4 [C esp pl 尤作复数] ~ (on sth) profit from a transaction, etc 赢利; 收益
*disappointing returns on capital, investment, etc 令人失望的资本、投资等的收益
* You'll get a good return on these shares. 投资这种股票可获优厚利润.
* small profits and quick returns, ie the theory behind businesses that rely on large sales and a quick turnover 薄利多销.
5 [C] (Brit) (US round trip) ticket for a journey to a place and back again 来回票; 往返票; 双程票
*weekend, period, etc returns 周末的、定期的...双程票
* a ,day-`return to London, ie valid only for the day of issue 去伦敦的当日往返票. Cf 参看 single 5.
6 [C] theatre ticket bought and then sold back to the box-office （购买後又退还票房的）退票
*queuing for returns 排队购买退票.
7 (idm 习语) by re`turn (of `post) (Brit) by the next post 由下一班邮递
*Please reply by return. 请即赐覆.
* Write now to this address and we will send you a free sample by return. 按此地址函索即免费寄奉样品. in return (for sth) as payment or reward (for sth) 作为（对某物）的付款或回报
*I bought him a drink in return for his help. 我请他喝酒以酬谢他的帮助. many happy returns => happy. the point of no return => point1. sale or return => sale.
1. But the time soon came for us to return. 但很快就到了我们要回去的时间了，
2. When the person smiles, be sure to smile back. But always make an effort to return your gaze (注视) to the person’s eyes as she speaks. 当其微笑时，你一定也要回报以微笑。但她说话的时候，你总尽量以注视她的眼睛相报。
3. The return of the echo will elapse longer time. 回声返回所耗的时间越长了.
4. The further off this solid obstruction, the longer time will elapse for the return of the echo. 固体障碍物越远。回声返回所用时间就越长。
5. There was a time when the owners of shops and businesses in Chicago had to pay large sums of money to gangsters in return for ´protection.´ 曾经有一个时期,芝加哥的店主和商行的老板们不得不拿出大笔的钱给歹徒以换取´保护´。
6. This festival is a cheerful occasion, for on this day, the dead are said to return to their homes and they are welcomed by the living. 这个节日是个欢乐的日子，因为在这一天，据说死去的人要回到他们的家里来，活着的人则对他们表示欢迎。
7. Thousands of lanterns slowly drift out to sea guiding the dead on their return journey to the other world. 成千上万只灯笼慢慢漂向大海，指引着亡灵返回另一个世界。
8. Then we´ll return home and buy a big house in the country. 然后我们返回家园，在乡下买幢大房子。
9. Two return tickets to London, please. 买两张到伦敦的往返票。
10. Those who like Victorian family houses and furniture might secretly welcome a return to more rigid social norms. 那些喜欢维多利亚式家庭住宅和家具的人也许在心底里愿意恢复更为严格的社会规范。