n.相反,背面,反面,倒退 adj.相反的,倒转的,颠倒的 vt.颠倒,倒转
名词:reverser 副词:reversely 动词过去式:reversed 过去分词:reversed 现在分词:reversing 第三人称单数:reverses
1 [attrib 作定语] ~ (of/to sth) contrary or opposite to what is expected （与预期的事）相反的; 未料到的
*reverse tendencies, processes 相反的趋势、过程
* Statistics showed a reverse trend to that recorded in other countries. 统计数字表明这种趋向与其他国家所示情况迥异.
2 (idm 习语) in/into reverse `order from the end towards the start; backwards 顺序相反; 反向
*Count down in reverse order 10, 9, 8... 倒数--10、9、8...
* Put the letters in `madam' into reverse order and they still read `madam'. 把madam这个字的字母排列顺序颠倒过来, 仍读作madam.
1 [sing] the ~ (of sth) thing that is the contrary or opposite to what is expected （与预期的事）相反的事物; 未料到的情况
*In hot weather, the reverse happens/applies. 在热天, 情况相反.
* Children's shoes aren't cheap quite the reverse. 儿童的鞋并不便宜--反而更贵.
* (fml 文) You were the (very) reverse of polite, ie You were rude. 你（非常）无礼貌.
(a) (design on the) underside or back of a coin, medal, etc （钱币、徽章等的）反面, 背面（的图案）
*The 50p coin has a crowned lion on its reverse. 50便士硬币反面的图案是个戴皇冠的狮子. Cf 参看 obverse.
(b) underside or back of sth 底面; 反面; 背部
*flaws on the reverse of the silk 这丝织品背面的瑕疵
* a maker's mark on the reverse of a plate 盘子底部的厂家标记.
3 [C] (fml 文)
(a) change for the worse; misfortune 逆转; 挫折; 不幸; 灾难
*We suffered some serious (financial) reverses. 我们（在财务上）受到一些严重挫折.
(b) defeat 失败; 失利
*a sudden reverse in the guerrilla campaign 游击战的突然失败
* a reverse at the polls, ie a poor election result 选举中的失利.
4 (a) [U, C usu sing作不可数名词或可数名词, 後者通常作单数] (also reverse `gear) control used to make a vehicle travel backwards （机动车的）倒挡
*Put the car into reverse. 汽车挂上倒挡.
* cars with five forward gears and a reverse 有五个前进挡和一个倒挡的汽车.
(b) [C] (also reverse `turn) turn made while driving backwards 倒车转弯
*I can't do reverses. 我不会倒车转弯.
5 [C] device that reverses sth 换向装置; 回动装置; 反向齿轮
*an automatic ribbon reverse, ie on a typewriter 色带自动换向装置（打字机上的）.
6 (idm 习语) in/into re`verse from the end towards the start; backwards 顺序相反; 反向
*Ambulances have `AMBULANCE' printed in reverse on their bonnets. 救护车发动机罩盖上标有逆序反向字母的AMBULANCE字样.
* (fig 比喻) The superpowers are putting the arms race into reverse. 超级大国正在把军备竞赛转换成相继裁军.
1 [Tn] turn (sth) the other way round or up, or inside out 使（某物）反转; 将（某物）翻转
*Writing is reversed in a mirror. 写出来的字在镜子里是倒着的.
* reverse the collar and cuffs on a shirt, ie to hide frayed edges 把衬衫的领子和袖口翻过来（以遮盖破边）.
2 (a) [I, Ipr, Ip, Tn, Tn.pr, Tn.p] (cause a vehicle to) travel backwards （使车辆）倒退行驶
*reverse round a corner, up a hill, across a side street,etc 开车倒退转弯、上山、穿过小街等
* He reversed (the car) into a tree. 他开倒车撞到了树上.
* The garage is open, so you can reverse in. 车房的门开着呢, 你可以倒着开进去.
(b) [I, Tn] (make an engine, etc) work in the opposite direction （使发动机等）逆向运转
*reverse the thrust of the rocket motors 使火箭发动机产生逆向推力
* brake (eg a fixed-wheel cycle) by reversing the pedalling action 倒蹬踏板制动（如脚蹬闸自行车）.
(a) make (sth) the opposite of what it was; change around completely 使（某物）转化为其自身的对立面; 彻底转变
*reverse a procedure, process, trend, etc 使程序、过程、趋向等完全相反.
(b) exchange (two functions, positions,etc) 互换（功能、位置等）
*Husband and wife have reversed roles. 丈夫和妻子互换了责任.
* Their situations are now reversed as employee has become employer. 他们双方的地位转换了, 雇员成了雇主.
4 [Tn] revoke or annul (a decree, etc) 撤消或废除（法令等）
*reverse the decision of a lower court 撤消下级法院的判决
* reverse a decree, judgement, verdict, etc 撤消法令、判决、裁决等.
5 (idm 习语) reverse (the) `charge(s) (US call `collect) make a telephone call that will be charged to the person receiving it, not the caller 由接电话一方付费
*reverse the charges on/for a call 电话费转由受话人支付
* make a reversed-`charge call to New York 打电话至纽约, 由受话人付费.
1. Reverse your jacket. It started to rain. 把你的外衣翻过来穿, 下雨了。