1 [C, U] (instanceof the) overthrow of a system of government, esp by force 革命
*He has lived through two revolutions. 他经历了两次革命.
* the French Revolution, ie in
* foment, stir up revolution 激起、鼓动革命
* In politics, evolution is better than revolution. 从政治方面来说, 演变比革命好.
2 [C] ~ (in sth) (fig 比喻) complete or drastic change of method, conditions, etc （方法、情况等的）彻底改变, 重大变革
*a revolution in the treatment of cancer 在癌症治疗上的重大突破
* a genetic, technological, etc revolution 遗传学的、技术上的飞跃
* Credit cards have brought about a revolution in people's spending habits. 信用卡的使用给人们的消费习惯带来巨大改变.
3 [C, U] ~ (on/round sth)
(a) (act of) revolving or rotating, esp of one planet round another 旋转, 运行（尤指行星绕另一行星的）
*make, describe a full revolution 旋转、转动一周
* the revolution of the earth on its axis round the sun 地球以太阳为轴的旋转.
(b) (process of making a) single complete movement or turn round a central point （围绕中心点）旋转一周
*a record designed to be played at
45 revolutions per minute 每分钟
1【change】2【political change】3【circular movement】
1300-1400; Language: Old French;Origin:Latin
revolutio, from revolvere; REVOLVE
a complete change in ways of thinking, methods of working etcrevolution in In the last ten years there has been a revolution in education.social/cultural/sexual etc revolution the biggest social revolution we have had in this country the sexual revolution of the 1960s
→industrial revolution【POLITICAL CHANGE】 [U and C]
a time when people change a ruler or political system by using force or violence
, rebellion rebellion the French Revolution of 1789 The role of women has changed since the revolution. The country seems to be heading towards revolution.
→counter-revolution【CIRCULAR MOVEMENT】a) [U and C]
a circular movement around something
→revolverevolution around the planets' revolution around the sunb)[C]
one complete circular spinning movement, made by something such as a wheel attached to a central point
→revolve a speed of 100 revolutions per minute
1. But a closer study of the evidence, supported by a deeper sense of the period, and particularly by a new consciousness of the philosophical undercurrents in the scientific revolution, has profoundly modified this view of Galileo. 但是，对那个时代的深化了解，尤其是以科学家革命中哲学潜流的新意识为依据，进一步仔细研究，就会极大地改变对伽利略的看法。
2. B. And the book shows just how that can be done — by taking an active part in the revolution. B． 书中描述了这是怎样做到的——通过积极参与革命。
3. But it was also the era of Sputnik, of nuclear power and the green revolution. 但这也是个卫星、核能和绿色革命的时代。
4. The revolution brought happiness to the people. 革命给人民带来了幸福。
5. The personal computer revolution and the invention of the Internet made the demand for skilled labor mushroom to such tremendous proportions that even if every American child were to study nothing but science from now on, we would be unable to keep p 个人电脑革命和因特网的诞生导致了对熟练劳动者的需求猛增，以至从现在起即使每个美国孩子都去自然科学，我们在今后的几十年里还是无法赶上这种需求的增长速度。
6. Negro combustion slowly built up to the revolution point. 黑人的怒火逐渐上升到采取革命行动的地步。
7. He has devoted his life to the revolution. 他把他的一生献给了革命事业。
8. Dr. Sun Yat-sen was the forerunner of the Chinese revolution. 孙中山先生是中国革命的先行者。
9. And yet, only half way through the book, she´s completely broken with the old world and become a staunch fighter in the ranks of the revolution. 但是只到了书中描写的一半，她就完全与旧世界决裂，成为了革命阶级中一名坚强的战士。
10. After the war, a character called Uncle Sam began appearing in political cartoons, his form evolving from an earlier cartoon character called Brother Jonathan that was popular during the American Revolution. 战后，政治漫画里开始出现了一个名叫"山姆大叔"的人物。他的原型是一个早期漫画人物，名叫乔纳森大哥，此人在美国独立战争时期非常出名。