1 (a) cylinder made by turning flexible material over and over on itself without folding it 卷状物
*Wallpaper is bought in rolls. 壁纸是成卷买的.
* a roll of carpet, film, cloth 一卷地毯、胶 卷、布.
(b) person or thing with this shape 带有卷状物的人或物
*a man with rolls of fat around his stomach 腹部有层层肥肉的男子.
2 (a) small individual portion of bread baked in a rounded shape 小圆面包
*Six brown rolls, please. 请给我来六个黑面包. =>illus at bread 见bread插图. Cf 参看 bun 1.
(b) (with a preceding n or ns 用于名词之後) one of these containing the stated filling 有某种馅的小圆面包
*a ham roll 火腿面包
* a bacon and tomato roll 腌猪肉加西红柿馅的面包.
3 swaying movement; action of turning (over) from side to side 摇摆; 摇晃; （左右）翻滚
*The slow, steady roll of the ship made us feel sick.船老是晃晃悠悠的, 弄得我们很恶心.
* walk with a nautical roll, ie like a sailor 走路摇摇晃晃（像海员似的）
* a horse enjoying a roll in the grass 在草地上尽情打滚的马. Cf 参看 pitch3 6.
4 official list or register, esp of names 正式的表册; 登记表; （尤指）名单, 花名册
*the electoral roll, ie the list of people eligible to vote in an election 选举人名单
* call/read the roll in school, class, etc, ie read aloud a list of names to check whether everyone is present 在学校、班...里点名.
5 long steady vibrating sound 持续而平稳的振动声
*A `drum roll preceded the most dangerous part of the performance. 演出快进行到最惊险的部分时响起了咚咚的鼓声.
* the distant roll of thunder 远处传来的隆隆雷声.
6 (US infml 口) (Brit `bankroll) wad of paper money 一卷或一叠钞票.
1 [Ipr, Ip, Tn.pr, Tn.p] (cause sth to) move on wheels or rollers or by turning (over and over) （使某物）滚动
*The ball rolled down the hill. 球滚下了山.
* The hoop rolled along the pavement. 圆环沿人行道滚动.
* The coin fell and rolled away. 硬币掉下滚走了.
* men rolling barrels across a yard 滚着圆桶经过院子的人
* Roll it over and look at the other side. 把它翻滚过来看看另一面.
2 [I, Ipr, Ip, Tn, Tn.pr, Tn.p] (cause sth to) turn on an axis, over and over or round and round （使某物）转动, 旋转, 转圈
*a porpoise rolling in the water 在水中翻滚的鼠海豚
* His eyes rolled strangely/He rolled his eyes strangely. 他那双眼睛滴溜溜地转动, 甚是古怪[他滴溜溜转动着眼睛, 甚是古怪].
* rolling a pencil between his fingers 把铅笔夹在他的指头上捻.
3 [Ipr, Ip, Tn, Tn.pr, Tn.p, Dn.n] ~ (sth) (up) make (sth) or be made into the shape of a ball or cylinder; fold (sth) over on itself （将某物）卷或绕成球形或圆柱形; 卷起（某物）
*The hedgehog rolled up into a spiky ball. 刺 卷起身子成了一个刺球.
* I always roll my own (cigarettes). 我总是抽自己卷的（烟）.
* roll string, wool, etc (up) into a ball 把细绳、毛线等绕成线团
* roll up a carpet, a map, a towel 把地毯、地图、毛巾卷起来
* He rolled himself a cigarette. 他自己卷了一枝烟. Cf 参看 unroll.
4 [Tn, Tn.pr] wrap or cover (sb/sth) in sth 将（某人[某物]）包或裹在某物内
*He rolled himself (up) in his blanket. 他用毛毯裹住身体.
* roll the sausages in batter 把香肠放在蛋奶面糊里滚一下.
5 [Tn, Tn.pr, Tn.p, Cn.a] flatten (sth) with a roller(1) 用 衮子轧平（某物）; 将（某物）碾平
*roll a lawn 把草坪碾平
* roll out the dough 干面团
* roll the ground flat 把地碾平.
6 (a) [I, Ipr, Ip, Tn, Tn.pr, Tn.p] (cause sb/sth to) sway or rock (from side to side) （使某人[某物]）（左右）摇摆或摇晃
*The ship was rolling heavily to and fro. 那船晃来晃去很不平稳.
* walk with a rolling gait 走起路来摇摇晃晃
* The huge waves rolled the ship from side to side. 巨浪把船打得左右摇晃. Cf 参看pitch2 4.
(b) [I, Ipr] sway or rock helplessly 不由自主地摇摆或摇晃
*rolling with laughter 笑得前仰後合
* rolling drunk 醉得东倒西歪.
7 [I, Ipr, Ip] (appear to) rise and fall; undulate 起伏; 作起伏状; 波动
*rolling hills 绵延起伏的丘陵地带
* waves rolling in to the beach 涌向海滩的滚滚浪涛.
8 [I] make a long continuous vibrating sound 发出持续颤动的声音
*The thunder rolled. 雷声隆隆.
* rolling drums 咚咚的鼓声.
9 [I, Tn] (infml 口) (cause film cameras to) begin working （使电影摄影机或电视摄像机）开拍, 开机
*Let them roll!/Roll 'em! 开机!
10 [Tn] (US infml 口) rob (esp sb drunk or asleep) 抢劫（某人, 尤指抢喝醉的或睡觉的人）.
11 (idm 习语) be `rolling (in money/it/cash) (sl 俚) have lots (of money) 有许多（钱）
*What do you mean, he can't afford it? He's absolutely rolling (in money)! 你这是怎么说, 他负担不起? 他可有的是钱! heads will roll => head1. keep/start the ball rolling => ball1. rolled into `one combined in one person or thing 合为一体; 兼于一身
*He's an artist, a scientist and a shrewd businessman (all) rolled into one. 他既是艺术家, 又是科学家, 同时还是个精明的生意人. ,rolling in the `aisles much amused; helpless with laughter 乐不可支; 捧腹大笑
*The comedian soon had them rolling in the aisles. 那滑稽演员很快就逗得他们捧腹大笑. roll one's `r's pronounce the sound of the letter `r' with vibration of the tongue against the palate 发r的舌尖颤音. roll `up! roll `up! (used to invite passers-by to join an audience, etc 邀请过往行人进入观看等之用语). roll up one's `sleeves (fig 比喻) prepare to work or fight 卷起袖子（准备工作或战斗）.
12 (phr v) roll sth back
(a) turn or force back (eg enemy forces) 赶回或击退（如敌军）.
(b) (esp US) reduce (prices, etc) 降低（价格等）
*roll back inflation 缓解通货膨胀. roll in (infml 口)
(a) arrive in great numbers or quantities 滚滚而来; 大量涌来
*Offers of help are still rolling in. 仍不断有人提出愿予以帮助.
(b) arrive casually 不期然到达
*She rolled in for work twenty minutes late. 她懒懒散散地来上班, 迟到了二十分钟. roll (sth) on
(a) apply, spread, etc (sth) by rolling 用滚动方法敷、涂...（某物）
*This paint is easy to roll on/rolls on easily. 这种颜料用滚轴涂布很容易.
(b) (of time) pass steadily （指时间）不断地流逝
*The years rolled on. 岁月流逝.
(c) (used in the imperative 用于祈使句) come soon 赶快来到
*Roll on the holidays! 假期快来吧! roll up (infml 口) (of a person or vehicle) arrive （指人或车辆）到达
*Bill finally rolled up two hours late. 比尔终于来了, 迟到了两个小时.