1 shaped like a circle or a ball 环形的; 球形的; 圆的
*a round plate, window, table圆盘、窗、桌
* round cheeks, ie plump and curved 圆而胖的脸.
2 full; complete 满的; 完全的
*a round dozen, ie not less than twelve 整整一打
* a round (ie considerable) sum of money 一笔很可观的钱.
3 (idm 习语) in round `figures/`numbers (given) in 10's, 100's, 1000's etc, without using the other digits 取整数的, 不计尾数的（仅以几十、几百、几千等表示）
*Add 2.74 to 7.23 and you get 10.00, in round figures. 7.23 英镑加上 2.74 英镑取整数为
10 英镑. a square peg in a round hole => square1.
adv part (For special uses with many vs, eg bring round, get round, see the v entries 可与许多动词连用, 如bring round、get round, 其释义见各动词词条. )
1 so as to be facing in a different (usu the opposite) direction 朝另一方向（通常指反方向）
*turn the car round 使汽车掉头
* Stop turning (your heads) round to look at people. 别再（把头）扭过去看人.2 making the completion of a full cycle 转一整圈:How long does it take the minute hand of the clock to go round once? 钟的分针转一圈要多长时间?
* Spring will soon come round again. 春天又快到了.
3 measuring or marking the circumference of sth 周长
*a young tree measuring only
18 inches round 周长仅18英寸的小树
* They've built a fence all round to stop the children falling in. 他们在四周围起一圈栅栏防止儿童掉进去.
4 to all members of a group in turn 依次、逐个轮到
*Hand the biscuits round. 把饼乾分给大家.
* The news was quickly passed round. 消息很快就传开了.
* Have we enough cups to go round? 我们的杯子够大家用吗?
5 by a route that is longer than the most direct one 绕道地; 迂回地
*It's quickest to walk across the field going round by road takes much longer. 穿过田地路途最近--绕行公路要远得多.
* We decided to come the long way round in order to see the countryside. 我们决定绕远路来, 为的是看看野外的景色.
6 (infml 口) to or at a specified place, esp where sb lives 至某处, 在某处（尤指某人的住处）
*I'll be round in an hour. 我在一小时後就到.
* We've invited the Frasers round this evening. 我们邀请了弗雷泽一家今晚来作客.
7 (idm 习语) ,round a`boutin the surrounding district 在附近; 在周围
*the countryside round about 附近的郊外
* all the villages round about 附近的所有村庄. Cf 参看 around2.
1 (a) complete slice of bread （整片的）面包片
*a round of toast 整片的烤面包片
* two rounds (ie sandwiches) of ham and one of beef 两个火腿三明治和一个牛肉三明治.
(b) (of food) sth round; a round piece/shape （指食物）圆形食物（圆片[形]）
*Cut the pastry into small rounds, one for each pie. 把油酥面团切成小圆片, 每个馅饼用一片.
2 regular series, succession, route, etc 有规律的系列、路线等
*the daily round, ie the ordinary occupations of every day 日常工作
* His life is one long round of meetings. 他的生活内容就是一个会议接着一个会议.
* the postman's round, ie the route he takes to deliver letters 邮递员的投递路线
* a doctor's rounds, ie his series of daily visits to patients or wards 医生的巡回出诊或查房.
3 stage in a game, competition, etc （游戏、比赛等的）一轮, 一局, 一场, 一回合
*a boxing-match of ten rounds 十回合的一场拳击比赛
* He was knocked out in the third round/in Round Three. 他在第三个回合就被击倒了.
* have a round of cards 玩一局牌
* play a round (ie
18 holes) of golf 打一场高尔夫球（18个穴）.
4 (any one of a) set or series 一连串, 一系列, 一套, 一组（中之一）
*a round of drinks, ie one for each person in a group 每人一份饮料
* It's my round, ie my turn to pay for the next set of drinks. 轮到我了（该由我付下一回饮料的费用）.
* a new round of pay bargaining 新的一轮增加工资的谈判.
5 burst (of applause, cheering, etc) （掌声、欢呼声等的）一阵
*Let's have a good round of applause for the next performer. 咱们为下一个表演者热烈鼓掌吧.
6 musical composition for two or more voices in which each sings the same melody but starts at a different time 轮唱曲.7 single shot or volley of shots from one or more guns; ammunition for this （枪炮的）一次射击或群射; 一发子弹或炮弹
*They fired several rounds at us. 他们向我们射击了几次.
* We've only three rounds (ie shells or bullets) left. 我们只剩下三发炮弹（或子弹）了.
8 (idm 习语) do/go the `rounds (of sth) (infml 口) make a tour; visit places one after another 到各处玩乐; 到一处又一处
*We did/went the rounds of all the pubs in town. 我们逐一光顾了城里所有的酒店. go the round of circulate in or among 流传; 散播
*The news quickly went the round of the village. 消息很快传遍了全村. in the `round
(a) (of a theatre, play, etc) with the audience (almost) all around the stage （指剧场、演出等）舞台设 在场地中央的.
(b) (of sculpture) made so that it can be viewed from all sides （指雕塑）圆雕的（能从各面观看的）. make one's `rounds make one's usual visits, esp of inspection 例行巡视; （尤指）巡查
*the production manager making his rounds 正在进行巡查的生产部经理.
1 having (sth) as the central point of a circular movement; circling (sth) 以（某物）为中心（作圆周运动）; 围绕, 环绕（某物）
*The earth moves round the sun. 地球环绕太阳运行.
* Drake sailed round the world. 德雷克扬帆环游世界.
* goldfish swimming round the bowl 在鱼缸里转圈游动的金鱼.
2 to or at a point on the other side of (sth) 至或在（某物）另一面的某一点; 绕过（某物）
*walk round a corner 步行绕过拐角
* There's a garage round the next bend. 在下一个转弯处有个汽车服务站.
* Go round the roundabout and take the third exit. 绕着环状交叉路, 从第三个出口出去.
3 covering or at points close to the edge of (sth) 围着（某物）的边缘或在其近处
*a scarf round his neck 他脖子上围着的围巾
* sitting round the table 围桌而坐.
4 to or at various points in (sth) 至或在（某物）中之各点
*look round the room 环视房间
* show sb round (ie all the different rooms in) the house 领某人参观房子（中的各个房间）
* There were soldiers positioned all round the town. 城里到处都驻守着士兵.
5 ~ (about) sth approximately (a time, amount, etc) 大约（某时刻、数量等）
*We're leaving round about midday. 我们要在中午前後走.
* A new roof will cost round about 1000. 换新顶篷需要
1 make (sth) into the shape of a circle, a ball, an oval, etc 使（某物）成圆形、球形、卵形等
*round the lips, eg when making the sound / u:; u/ 把嘴唇撮成圆形（如发/ u:; u/音时）
* stones rounded by the action of water 由于水的冲刷而变圆的石块.
2 go round (sth) 环绕（某物）而行; 绕过（某物）
*We rounded the corner at high speed. 我们以高速度绕过拐角.
3 (phr v) round sth off
(a) end or complete sth satisfactorily 使某事物圆满结束或完成
*round off a sentence, speech, etc 把句子、演说等修饰好
* He rounded off his career by becoming Home Secretary. 他担任内政大臣一职, 在事业上已登峰造极了.
(b) take the sharp edges off sth 将某物的棱角修钝
*She rounded off the corners of the table with sandpaper. 她用砂纸把桌角打磨光了. round on/upon sb attack sb (esp verbally) in sudden anger 突然发怒而攻击某人（尤指抨击）
*She was amazed when he rounded on her and called her a liar. 他突然怒斥她说谎, 她大吃一惊. round sth out supply sth with more explanation, detail, etc 对某事进一步解释、说明等
*John will tell you the plan in outline, and then I'll round it out. 约翰要告诉你那个计画的梗概, 然後我再详谈. round sb/sth up cause sb/sth to gather in one place 使某人[某物]集合在一起
*The guide rounded up the tourists and led them back to the coach. 导游把游客集合在一起, 领他们回到车上.
* cowboys rounding up cattle 把牛赶到一起的牛仔
* I spent the morning trying to round up the documents I needed. 我用上午的时间尽力搜集所需要的文件. round sth up/down increase/decrease (a figure, price, etc) to the nearest whole number 将（数字、价格等）调高[降低]为整数
*A charge of 1.90 will be rounded up to 2, and one of 3.10 rounded down to 3. 把 1.90 英镑的费用上调为整数
2 英镑, 把 3.10 英镑下调为整数