副词:satisfyingly 名词:satisfier 动词过去式:satisfied 过去分词:satisfied 现在分词:satisfying 第三人称单数:satisfies
/'sætɪsfaɪ; `sætɪs,faɪ/ v (pt, pp -fied)
1 [Tn] give (sb) what he wants, demands or needs; make contented 使（某人）满意或满足
*Nothing satisfies him
*he's always complaining. 他对什么都不满意, 总是抱怨.
* She's not satisfied with anything but the best. 她事事都要最好的方才罢休.
2 [Tn] fulfil (a need, desire, etc); do enough to meet (a requirement, etc) 满足（需要、愿望等）; 达到（要求等）
*satisfy sb's hunger, demands, curiosity 解饿、符合要求、满足好奇心
* She has satisfied the conditions for entry into the college. 她已符合进入这所学院的条件.
3 [Tn, Tn.pr, Dn.f] ~ sb (as to/of sth) give sb proof, information, etc; convince sb 向某人提供证据、消息等; 使某人信服
*My assurances don't satisfy him
*he's still sceptical. 我说的确确实实他都不信, 仍有疑虑.
* satisfy the police that one is innocent/as to one's innocence 向警方证实自己是清白的.
4 (idm 习语) ,satisfy the examiners pass an exam 考及格.
v past tense and past participlesatisfiedpresent participlesatisfyingthird person singularsatisfies [T]
1400-1500; Language: Old French;Origin:
satisfier, from Latin
satisfacere, from satis 'enough'
+ facere 'to make'
to make someone feel pleased by doing what they want Nothing I did would ever satisfy my father.
if you satisfy someone's needs, demands etc, you provide what they need or wantsatisfy sb's needs/demands/desires The program is designed to satisfy the needs of adult learners.satisfy sb's hunger/appetite
(=give someone enough food to stop them from feeling hungry) A salad won't be enough to satisfy my appetite. Just to satisfy my curiosity (=find out something) , how much did it cost?formal
to make someone feel sure that something is right or true
= convincesatisfy sb of sth Jackson tried to satisfy me of his innocence.satisfy yourself (that) Having satisfied herself that no one was there, she closed the door.formal
to be good enough for a particular purpose, standard etc Have you satisfied all the requirements for the general degree?
1. But that doesn't satisfy some who still believe it is likely to be attacked and should never have been built. 但对于那些仍然相信隧道有可能受到攻击故不该兴建的人来说，这种解释并不令人满意。
2. The small ration of rice could hardly satisfy his hunger. 配给他的一点点米并不能使他免除饥饿。
3. They did not satisfy, but he knew he must eat them. 果子淡而无味, 也不耐饥，可他知道他必须把它们吞下去。
4. And I avoid treating you as an object or using you primarily to satisfy my own needs. 我不会视他为物，或利用他来满足自己的需要。
5. Riches do not always satisfy. 财富并不永远使人满足。
6. Fashion culture controlled by models leads us to offer our toes and our check books to satisfy some men's idea of sexy (性感的) shoes. 由模特儿控制的时装文化引导我们心甘情愿地把我们的脚趾和支票本奉献出来，去满足某些男人关于性感鞋子的想法。