1 [Tn, Tn.pr] ~ sb/sth (from sth/doing sth) make or keep sb/sth safe (from harm, loss, etc) 救; 拯救; 援救; 保全（以免伤害、损失等）
*save sb's life 救某人的命
* save sb from drowning 救溺水的人
* save a person from himself, eg from the results of his own foolishness 使某人免于自食恶果
* It was too late to save the sick woman, and she died. 病妇未获及时抢救而死亡.
* Can the school be saved from closure? 能保全这所学校不致关闭吗?
* She saved the set (ie at tennis) by winning the next game. 她因下一局获胜从而赢了这一盘（网球）比赛.
2 (a) [I, Ipr, Ip, Tn, Tn.pr, Tn.p] ~ (sth) (up) (for sth); ~ (with sth) keep (money) for future use; not spend 储存（钱）; 贮蓄
*It's prudent to save. 储蓄是有远见的.
* save (up) for a new bike/to buy a new bike 攒钱买新自行车
* I save with (ie keep my savings in) the Brighton Building Society. 我把钱存在布赖顿房屋建筑协会里.
* save part of one's salary each month 把每月薪水存起一部分来.
(b) [Tn, Dn.n, Dn.pr] ~ sth (for sb/sth) keep sth for future use; not use up sth completely 储存某物; 不将某物用完
*Don't eat all the cake now; save some for tomorrow. 现在别把蛋糕都吃了, 留些明天吃.
* Save your strength for the hard work you'll have to do later. 留着点儿劲儿, 你一会儿还得干重活儿呢.
* save one's eyes, ie protect one's eyesight, eg by not reading too much 保护视力
* Don't drink all the wine; save me some/save some for me! 别把酒喝光了, 给我留些!
(c) [Ipr, Tn] ~ (on) sth avoid wasting sth 避免浪费某物; 节省; 节约
*save on time and money by shopping at the supermarket 到超级市场购物省时省钱
* save fuel by insulating one's house 给房子作隔热处理以节省燃料.
3 [Tn, Tg, Tsg, Dn.n] make (sth) unnecessary; make it unnecessary for sb to use sth, spend sth, etc 省去（某事物）; 使某人不必使用、花费...
*Order the goods by phone and save (yourself) a journey. 打电话购物免得（亲自）跑一趟.
* Walking to the office saves (me) spending money on bus fares. 步行上班可省（我）公共汽车费.
* The gift of money saved our having to borrow from the bank. 有了这笔赠款我们就不用向银行借钱了.
* That will save us a lot of trouble. 那就省了我们很多麻烦.
* We've been saved a lot of expense by doing the work ourselves. 我们自己做那工作, 节省了一大笔开销.
4 [I, Tn, Tn.pr] ~ sb (from sth) set sb free (from the power of sin or its bad consequences) 拯救, 挽救某人（摆脱罪愆或罪孽）; 赦罪
*Jesus saves! 耶稣拯救世人!
* Jesus Christ came into the world to save us from our sins. 基督降世拯救我们摆脱罪恶.
5 [Tn] (in football, etc) prevent an opponent from making (a scoring shot, etc) （足球等）阻碍对方得（分等）, 救球
*The goalie managed to save a shot struck at close range. 守门员救起一个近距离射的球.
6 (idm 习语) pinch and save/scrape => pinch . risk/save one's neck => neck. save sb's `bacon (infml 口) prevent sb from failing, losing, being harmed, etc 使某人免于失败或免受损失、伤害等
*I was nearly bankrupt, but your loan saved my bacon. 我已濒于破产, 是你借给我的钱使我幸免于难. save one's `breath not bother to speak when it is useless 不必白费唇舌
*You can save your breath
*you'll never persuade her. 别白费唇舌了, 你决说服不了她. save (sb's) `face preserve one's/sb's pride, reputation, etc 保全面子
*Though she'd lost her job, she saved face by saying she'd left it willingly. 她失去了工作, 却说是自愿离职以保全面子. save one's (own) `hide/`skin (infml usu derog 口, 通常作贬义) escape harm, injury, punishment, loss, etc 免受伤害、损失、惩罚等
*When the rest of the gang were arrested, he saved his own skin by giving evidence against them. 他那一伙人都已被捕, 他因提供指控他们的证据而保全了自己. save the situ`ation deal successfully with a situation which seems hopeless 挽回局势; 渡过难关
*Disagreements threatened to wreck the peace talks, but the president's intervention saved the situation. 讲和谈判因意见分歧危如累卵, 而会长从中斡旋方转危为安. scrimp and save => scrimp. a stitch in time saves nine => stitch n.
n (in football, etc) act of preventing a goal from being scored （足球等）阻碍对方得分的动作, 救球.
(also saving / 5seIvIN; `sevIN/) prep, conj (fml 文) except 除了（表示所说的不包括在内）
*all save him 除他以外所有的人
* We know nothing about her save that her surname is Jones. 我们除了知道她姓琼斯外, 对她全不了解.