动词过去式:schooled 过去分词:schooled 现在分词:schooling 第三人称单数:schools
(a) institution for educating children 学校
*`primary and `secondary schools 小学和中学
* `Sunday schools 主日学校
* attend a good school 上一所好学校
* the use of computers in schools 学校中计算机的使用
* [attrib 作定语] a school bus, building, report 校车、校舍、学生成绩报告单.
(b) institution for teaching a particular subject 专科学校
*`art school 艺术学校
* secre`tarial school 秘书专科学校.
2 [C] (US) college or university 学院; 大学
*famous schools like Yale and Harvard 像耶鲁、哈佛这样的着名大学.
3 [U] (used without the 不与冠词the连用)
(a) process of being educated in a school1(1a) 上学
*I hate school! 我讨厌上学!
* two more years of school 再上两年学
* old enough for/to go to school 到了上学年龄
* the school-`leaving age, ie the age until which children must attend school 中学毕业的年龄
* Are you still at school? 你还在上学吗?
* He left school when he was sixteen. 他十六岁时中学毕业了.
(b) time when teaching is done in a school; lessons 上课时间; 上课
*meet friends before school 上课前会见朋友
* School begins at
9 am. 上午9点钟上课.
* There will be no school (ie no lessons) tomorrow. 明天不上课.
* Will you come for a walk after school? 放学後你愿意来散散步吗? =>Usage 见所附用法.
4 the school [sing] all the pupils or all the pupils and teachers in a school 全校学生; 全校师生
*The head teacher told the school at assembly. 校长在全校学生大会上讲话.
* Soon, the whole school knew about her win. 不久, 全校师生都知道她获胜了.
5 [C] department of a university concerned with a particular branch of study 大学的院、系
*the `law, `medical, `history school 法学院、医学院、历史系
* the School of `Dentistry 牙医学系.
6 [C] course, usu for adults, on a particular subject 专门学科课程（通常指为成人设的）
*a `summer school for music lovers 音乐爱好者暑期班.
7 [C usu sing 通常作单数] (infml 口) experience or activity that provides discipline or instruction 锻炼; 磨炼
*the hard school of adversity 逆境的磨炼.
8 [C] group of writers, thinkers, etc sharing the same principles or methods, or of artists having a similar style 学派; 流派
*the Dutch, Venetian, etc school of painting 荷兰、威尼斯等绘画流派
* the Hegelian school, ie of philosophers influenced by Hegel 黑格尔学派.
9 [C] group of card-players, gamblers, etc 一伙玩纸牌的人、赌徒等
*a `poker school 一伙打扑克的人.
10 (idm 习语) one of the old school => old. a school of `thought group of people with similar views 有类似观点的一批人; 学派
*I don't belong to the school of thought that favours radical change. 我不属于激进派. teach school => teach.
v [Tn, Tn.pr, Cn.t] ~ sb/sth (in sth) train, discipline or control sb/oneself/an animal 训练、磨练或控制某人[自己/动物]
*school a horse 训练马
* school oneself in patience/to be patient 培养自己的忍耐力
* a child who is well-schooled in good manners 有教养懂礼貌的孩子. schooling n [U] education 教育
*He had very little schooling. 他没受过什么教育.
* Who's paying for her schooling? 谁在供她读书?
NOTE ON USAGE
*When a school, hospital, etc is being referred to as an institution, we do not use the definite article after a preposition 当school、hospital等词指机构时, 在介词後不加定冠词
*She went to school/university/college in York. 她在约克上学.
* He's coming out of hospital on Friday. 他星期五要出院了.
* She's been sent to prison for a year. 她入狱已经一年了. When we are talking about the place as a building, the definite article is used 这类词若用以指建筑物所在地, 前面就要加定冠词
*We went to the school to discuss our daughter's progress. 我们去学校谈谈女儿的进步情况.
* I saw her coming out of the hospital/the church. 我看见她从医院[教堂]出来.
n large number of fish, whales, etc swimming together; shoal （鱼、鲸等的）群.
1. Even young students who plan on staying in the United States just long enough to finish two semesters of high school have difficulty finding a host family. 甚至那些计划在美国完成两个学期中学课程的年轻学生也很难找到接待家庭。
2. Every year the United States is host to an average of 78,000 foreign high school level students, of which 3,000 are Brazilian. 美国平均每年要接待78,000名中学学历程度的外国学生，其中3,000个来自巴西。
3. Every other school was, 'Get out, we don't want to deal with you. 'I came here and they said, 其他每所学校都会说：'滚出去！我们这儿不要你。'我来到这儿，他们却说：
4. Boys who live at school sleep in a dormitory. 住校的男生在宿舍里睡觉。
5. Because he doesn´t like school! 因为他不喜欢上学。
6. By comparison, nearly half of male high-school students express their preference for a traditional, male-headed, one provider, nuclear family, where the wife stays home as mother and housewife. 与此相比, 几乎有一半男中学生表达了他们对传统的、以男人为家长的、只有一个人养家糊口的核心家庭的偏爱，在这种家庭里妻子作为母亲和家庭主妇呆在家里。
7. Believe me, all the girls at school wear makeup. 给您说实话吧，学校的女孩子都化妆，
8. Because of my dark skin, kids at school called me names; I often got mugged coming home from school. My diving made me feel good about myself when my peers made me feel stupid. 由于我肤色黑，常常遭到学校里孩子们的辱骂。放学回家时常常遭到欺负。尽管同龄孩子们让我觉得自己不如别人，但跳水却使我对自己有了信心。
9. But changes came to the family when I was thirteen, and I was sent to school in Jacksonville. 但我13岁时，家里发生了变故，我被送到杰克逊维尔的学校去了。
10. By the time the children reach high school, something remarkable has happened. 到这些孩子上高中时，引人注目的事发生了。