动词过去式:seated 过去分词:seated 现在分词:seating 第三人称单数:seats
1 [C] thing made or used for sitting on, eg a chair, bench or box 坐具或用作坐具之物（如椅子、凳子或箱子）
*take a seat, ie sit down 坐下
* a stone seat in the garden 花园里的石凳
* The furniture hadn't arrived so we were using crates as seats. 家具还没运来, 所以我们坐在大木箱上.
* The back seat of the car is wide enough for three people. 汽车的後座很宽, 可以坐三个人.
* She rose from her seat to protest. 她从座位上站起来提出抗议. =>illus at App
1 见附录1插图, page xii.
2 [C] that part of a chair, bench, stool, etc on which one sits (contrasted with the back, legs, etc) （椅子、凳子等的）座部
*a chair with a cane seat 藤座的椅子.
(a) (fml 文) the buttocks 臀部.
(b) part of a garment covering these 裤子的臀部
*a hole in the seat of his trousers 他的裤子臀部上的洞.
4 [C] place where one pays to sit in a vehicle or in a theatre, concert-hall, etc （车辆或戏院、音乐厅等的）坐位, 座
*There are no seats left on the flight. 班机上没有剩余的座位了.
* book two seats for the concert 订两张音乐会的票
* expensive opera seats 很贵的歌剧票. =>Usage at space 用法见space.
5 [C] place as a member of a law-making assembly, council, committee, etc （立法会、议会、委员会等的）席位
*a seat on the council, in Parliament, etc 议会等的席位
* take one's seat, ie begin one's duties, eg in the House of Commons 在议会中就职（如在下议院中）
* win a/lose one's seat, ie win/lose a place in a parliament, etc in an election 当选[未再当选]议员
* a majority of
21 seats in the Senate 在参议院中占21席位的多数.
6 [C] (esp Brit) parliamentary constituency 议会议员的选区
*a seat in Devon 德文郡选区.
7 [C] ( fml 文) place where sth is based, or where an activity is carried on （某事物或活动的）所在地, 中心
*In the US, Washington is the seat of government and New York City is the chief seat of commerce. 在美国, 华盛顿是政府所在地, 纽约是主要的商业中心.
* seats of learning, ie universities 学府.
8 [C] (also ,country `seat) (dated 旧) large house in the country, usu the centre of a large estate 宅第（通常为大片地产的中心）
*the family seat in Norfolk 在诺福克郡的祖传宅第.
9 [sing] way in which sb sits on a horse 骑马的方式或姿势
*an experienced rider with a good seat 姿势好的有经验的骑手.
10 (idm 习语) (drive/fly) by the seat of one's `pants (do sth) by instinct rather than careful thought 凭直觉而不仔细思考（做某事）
*None of us had seen an emergency like this and we were all flying by the seat of our pants. 我们谁都没有遇到过这种紧急情况, 只好凭感觉驾驶飞机. have a ringside seat =>ringside (ring1). the hot seat =>hot. in the driver's seat =>driver. take a back seat =>back2.
1 [Tn esp passive 尤用于被动语态] (fml 文) make (sb/oneself) sit 使（某人[自己]）就坐,坐下
*Seat the boy next to his brother. 让那个孩子坐在他哥哥旁边.
* a statue of a woman seated on a horse 一个女子骑着马的塑像
* Please be seated, ladies and gentlemen. 女士们、先生们, 请就座.
* She seated herself on the sofa. 她坐在长沙发上.
2 [Tn] have seats for (a specified number of people) 有（某数量的人）的座位; 可坐（某数量的人）
*a hall that seats
1. We enter chatting about any little things that we have in common and the white man would sit calmly in his seat, listening to me with interest. 我们闲谈一些平常的琐事, 白人会安静地坐着，兴味盎然地听着。
2. They are in the cage right behind your seat.Are you scared? 它们就在你座位下的笼子里,你害怕吗?
3. There is still a vacant seat in the bus. 公共汽车上还有一个空位。
4. This seat has the virtue of being adjustable. 这种座位的好处是可以调节.
5. Taking a book from a bookcase, I climbed up into the window-seat. 从书架上拿下一本书，爬上了窗座。
6. The customer gets such things as a seat on a plane, a room in a hotel, and a chance to sit on a beach in the sunshine. 顾客可以得到诸如飞机上的座位、旅馆里的房间以及在海滩晒太阳的机会。
7. The jet roared down the cement surface, slamming me against the seat. 飞机沿着水泥地面呼啸着，猛地把我压向椅背。
8. The front deck might seem a frightening place for the rest of the town, but it was a front row seat for me. 上门前平台去可能会吓坏镇上其他人，但对我来说，那儿就像前排座位一样。
9. A rocket under the seat will pop you out of the aircraft, seat and all. 你座位下的火箭会把你连同座位一起弹出机舱。
10. After winning her council seat, she declined a spot on the education and social services committee after a colleague called it "a woman's committee". 在赢得市议会席位之后，她拒绝了被同事称为"女人委员会"的教育及社会服务委员会的职位，