n.秒,片刻,第二者,第二人,助手,次货,二等品 adj.另一个,又一个 num.第二 vt.赞成,支持
动词过去式:seconded 过去分词:seconded 现在分词:seconding 第三人称单数:seconds
1 2nd; next after first in time, order, importance, etc 第二的
*February is the second month of the year. 二月是一年的第二个月份.
* Tom is the second son he has an elder brother. 汤姆是次子--他有一个哥哥.
* Osaka is the second largest city in Japan. 大阪是日本的第二大城市.
* Who was second in the race? 赛跑谁得了第二名? =>App
4 见附录4. Cf 参看 two.
2 another after the first; additional; extra （除第一个外）再一个的; 加上的; 额外的
*a second helping of soup 又一份汤
* You will need a second pair of shoes. 你需要再有一双鞋.
3 of an inferior or a less important kind 次等的; 次要的
*We never use second quality ingredients. 我们决不使用次等配料.
* (sport 体) the second eleven, ie a team of reserves 後补队.
4 of the same quality, merit, etc as a previous one （与前一个）同样好的
*He thinks he's a second Churchill! ie believes he has Churchill's abilities. 他认为他是第二个丘吉尔（自信有丘吉尔的才能）.
5 (idm 习语) ,second `only to sb/sth having only one person or thing that is better, more important, etc 仅次于某人或某事物
*He is second only to my own son in my affections. 我除了爱我的儿子, 最爱他. ,second to `none as good as the best 不亚于任何人或事物
*As a dancer, he is second to none. 他的舞艺无出其右. (For other idioms containing second, see the other major words in each idiom 查阅其他含有second一词的习语, 见该习语中含有其他主要词的词条, 如 get one's second wind =>wind1.)
adv in second place; second in order or importance 以第二位
*The English swimmer came second. 英国游泳选手得了第二名.
* I agreed to speak second. 我同意让我第二个发言. secondly adv in the second place; furthermore 第二; 其次
*First(ly), it's too expensive; and secondly, it's very ugly. 一来太贵, 二来很难看. =>Usage at first2 用法见first2.
1 the second [sing] person or thing that comes next after the first 第二个人或事物
*the second of May 五月二日
* George the Second, ie King George II 乔治二世
* I was the first to arrive, and she was the second. 我是第一个到的, 她是第二个.
2 [sing] person or thing additional to one already mentioned 另一个人或事物
*She published her first book last year, and has now written a second. 她去年出版了第一本书, 现在写了第二本.
* You're the second to ask me that. 你是第二个问我这件事的人.
3 [C] ~ (in sth) (Brit) second-class university degree 大学的乙等荣誉学位
*get an upper, a lower second (in economics) 获得（经济学的）乙等一级、乙等二级荣誉学位.
4 [U] second gear on a car, bicycle, etc （汽车、自行车等的）二挡
*Are you in first or second? 你用的是一挡还是二挡?
* Change from second to third. 从二挡换到三挡.
5 [C usu pl 通常作复数] manufactured article that has a fault and is therefore sold cheaper 剔装货
*These plates are seconds. 这些盘子是剔装货.
6 seconds [pl] second helping of food 第二份食物
*I'm going to ask for seconds. 我想再要一份吃的.
7 [C] person who assists a boxer or sb fighting a duel （拳击者或决斗者的）助手.
1 (symb 符号为 ) 60th part of a minute of time or of angular measurement （时间或角度计量单位的）秒
*The winning time was
5 seconds. 获胜的时间是1分零5秒.
* 1610, ie one degree, six minutes, and ten seconds （1度6分10秒）. =>App 4, 5,
2 (also Brit infml 英式口语作 sec) short time; moment 一会儿; 片刻
*I'll be ready in a sec(ond). 我马上就准备好.
* The food was on the table in seconds. 吃的东西一转眼就摆在桌上了.
1 support or assist (sb), esp in a boxing-match or duel 支持或协助（某人）（尤指拳击比赛或决斗中）
*I was ably seconded in this research by my son. 在这项研究中, 我儿子帮了我很大忙.
5 formally support (a motion, resolution, etc already proposed by sb else) to show that he is not the only person in favour of it 附议（某动议、决议等）
*Mrs Smith proposed the vote of thanks, and Mr Jones seconded (it). 史密斯夫人提议大家鼓掌表示感谢, 琼斯先生附议.
* (joc 谑) `Let's go away this weekend.' `I'll secondthat.' ｀咱们本周末离开吧.＇｀我同意.＇ Cf 参看 propose1.
v [Tn, Tn.pr] ~ sb (from sth) (to sth) (esp Brit) transfer (sb) from his normal duties to other duties 调任, 调派（某人）做其他工作
*an officer seconded from the Marines to staff headquarters 从海军陆战队调往总参谋部的军官.