cern＝to separate（分离） 变化型 cret
1 ~ (from sb) kept or intended to be kept from the knowledge or view of others; not known by others 秘密的; 保密的; 机密的
*a secret marriage, document, meeting 秘密结婚、文件、会议
* keep sth secret from one's family 不让家人知道某事
* She escaped through a secret door. 她通过暗道逃走了.
* The party was given secret financial support by some foreign backers. 该党得到外国一些支持者的秘密资助.
2 [attrib 作定语] not openly declared or admitted 不公开说的; 不公开承认的
*I'm a secret fan of soap operas on TV. 我从不声张我是电视连续剧迷.
3 [attrib 作定语] (of a place) secluded or quiet （指地方）人迹罕至的, 幽静的
*my secret cottage in the country 我在郊野的寂静小舍.
4 [esp pred 尤作表语] (fml 文) fond of keeping secrets; secretive 爱保密.
1 fact, decision, etc that is or must be kept secret 秘密; 机密
*keep a secret, ie not tell it to anyone else 保守秘密
* The wedding date's a big secret. 举行婚礼的日期是一大秘密.
* Are you going to let him in on (ie tell him) the secret? 你想让他知道这个秘密吗?
* He made no secret of his dislike for me, ie made it very clear.他并不讳言他不喜欢我.
2 method of doing or achieving sth that not many people know 秘诀; 诀窍; 窍门
*the secret of success 成功的秘诀
* What's your secret for this wonderful pastry? 你做的酥馅饼真好, 有什么诀窍?3 anything not properly understood or difficult to understand; mystery 奥秘; 神秘的事物
*the secrets of nature 自然界的奥秘.
4 (idm 习语) in `secret without others knowing 偷偷的; 暗地的
*meet in secret 私下会见
* leave the country in secret 秘密去国. in the `secret (dated 旧) among those who know the secret 知道秘密或内情
*Is your brother in the secret? 你哥哥知道内情吗? an open secret =>open1.
1. Even more processes are never patented at all but kept as secret processes. 更多的工艺过程根本就不会取得专利权，而是作为秘方保存着。
2. We often read in novels how a seemingly respectable person or family has some terrible secret which has been concealed from strangers for years. 在小说中，我们经常读到一个表面上受人尊重的人物或家庭，却有着某种多年不为人所知的骇人听闻的秘密。
3. When he died, however, his brothers found it impossible to keep the secret any longer. 他死后，他的弟弟们才觉得无法再保守这个秘密了。
4. The terrible secret is called ´a skeleton in the cupboard´. 惊人的秘密称作"柜中骷髅"。
5. This was worse than ´a terrible secret´; this was a real skeleton! 这是比"骇人听闻的秘密"更加惊人的东西，这是一具真正的骷髅啊！
6. The only other people who knew the secret were Joe and Bob. 除此之外，只有乔与鲍知道这个秘密。
7. The secret has always been you are the message. 而所有这一切的秘诀都在于要懂得你本人就是信息。
8. That way, any pair of shoes could have its own secret sum of money. 这样，任何一双鞋子都可以有自己的"私房钱"。
9. This same company, it was revealed, was ready to finance secret U.S. efforts to throw out the government of Chile. 后来发现，正是这家公司打算资助美国推翻智利政府的秘密行动。
10. He kept the matter secret from his family. 他把这件事瞒着家人。