1 meeting or series of meetings of a parliament, lawcourt, etc for discussing or deciding sth （议会的）会议; （法庭的）开庭
*the morning session of the Crown Court 英国地方刑事法庭的上午开庭
* the next session of arms negotiations 军备谈判的下一届会议
* the autumn session (ie sitting) of parliament 议会的秋季会议.
2 (a) school or university year 学年.
(b) (US) school term or period of study 学期.
3 single continuous period spent in one activity （进行某活动连续的）一段时间
*a re`cording session, ie one at which material is recorded on tape or discs, etc 录制时间（把材料录在磁带、唱片等上用的时间）
* After several sessions at the gym, I feel a lot fitter. 我在健身房锻炼了几次以後, 觉得身体好多了.
4 governing body of a Presbyterian church 长老会的管理机构.
5 (idm 习语) in `session
(a) assembled for business 开会; 开庭
*The court is now in session. 法院现在开庭.
(b) not on vacation 不在休假期
*Is Parliament in session during the summer? 议会在夏季是开会期吗?
1300-1400; Language: Old French;Origin:Latin
sessio 'act of sitting, session'
, from sedere 'to sit'
a period of time used for a particular activity, especially by a group of people a training session for teachers about computers question-and-answer sessionssession of a session of group therapy
a formal meeting or group of meetings, especially of a law court or parliamentsession of the first televised session of parliamentin session
(=meeting) The court is now in session. Board members met in closed session (=with nobody else present) .AmE
a part of the year when classes are given at a college or university
1. Before proceedings, Churchill and Stalin agreed that Roosevelt, the only head of state, would preside at the first formal session. 丘吉尔和斯大林会前商定，罗斯福是唯一的国家元首，将由他主持第一次正式会晤。
2. When will the court be in session? 法庭何时开庭?
3. With school in session every weekday plus Saturday morning 10 months of the year, Japanese students have almost 60 more class days annually than their American peers. 日本学校的上课时间为每周五天再加星期六上午，每年10个月，这样，日本学生每年的上课日比他们的美国同龄人几乎多60天。
4. The first plenary session of the Teheran Conference convened in the conference room at the Soviet Embassy at 4 p.m. 德黑兰会议的第一次全体会议于下午4时在苏联使馆的会议室召开。