begin (a journey, race, etc) 开始（旅行、赛跑等）
*What time are you planning to set off tomorrow? 你打算明天几点钟启程?
* They've set off on a journey round the world. 他们已经开始环游世界.
* If you want to catch that train we'd better set off for the station immediately. 你要是想赶上那班火车, 咱们就最好马上动身去火车站. set sth off
(a) cause (a bomb, mine, etc) to explode 使（炸弹、地雷等）爆炸
*Do be careful with those fireworks; the slightest spark could set them off. 这些烟火要格外小心, 稍有火星就能引起爆炸.
(b) cause or prompt sth 引起或激发某事物
*Panic on the stock market set off a wave of selling. 股票市场上人心惶惶, 掀起抛售浪潮.
(c) make sth appear more attractive by contrast （通过对比）使某事物更有吸引力
*That jumper sets off the blue of her eyes. 在这件毛衣衬托下, 她眼睛的蓝色显得更漂亮了. set sb off (doing sth) cause sb to start (doing sth) 使某人开始做（某事物）
*Don't set him off talking politics or he'll go on all evening. 可别让他谈起政治来, 要不然他一谈就得一个晚上.
* Her imitations always set me off (laughing). 她模仿别人的动作, 每次都把我逗得哈哈大笑.
1. Eliot says you can first make a list of 12 things, then cut it down to 6 and set your priorities. 埃利奥特说，你可以先列出12件事，然后把它压缩到6件，要确定轻重缓急。
2. Beautiful combs, pure tortoiseshell, with jewels set in-just the colour to wear in her beautiful hair. 多么好看的梳子,纯玳瑁做的,镶着铢宝,颜色恰好配上她那美丽的头发.
3. Business English is simply a set of English vocabulary words; it is not,as some seem to think, a language unto itself. 商用英文只是一组英文字汇,它并不是如一些人所想,本身自成一种语言.
4. Both these ships set out from Shanghai on June 18th, 1872 on an exciting race to England. 两船于1872年6月18日同时从上海启航驶往英国，途中展开了一场激烈的比赛。
5. Bonpland set up one of the electrometers to measure the electric discharge, but there was no reading. 庞普朗安装了一只电表来测量放电量，但电表上没有任何读数。
6. But as we started out, he always said, "You set the pace. I will try to adjust to you." 但每次出门时，他总说："你按你的步速走，我跟着你。"
7. Because time was short — the patient was dying — the Red Cross man and an officer set out in an army vehicle. 由于时间紧迫--病人已奄奄一息--红十字会的人和一名军官乘一辆军车出发。
8. When he smiled he exposed a set of perfect white teeth. 他笑时露出了一口漂亮的白牙.
9. While Alfred´s little army slowly began to gather at Athelney, the king himself set out to penetrate the camp of Guthrum, the commander of the Danish invaders. 阿尔弗雷德人数不多的军队开始在阿塞尔纳慢慢集结时，他亲自潜入丹麦入侵司令官古瑟罗姆的营地。
10. Water streamed in torrents over its sides with such force that it set up a huge wave in the canal. 波浪从盘子两侧急涌而出，在运河里掀起一股大浪。