v.出发,开始,装饰,陈列,测定,宣布,移植,陈述 启程 展示
leave a place and begin a journey 从某地出发上路
*She set out at dawn. 她天一亮就动身了.
* They set out on the last stage of their journey. 他们开始了旅行的最後一程. set sth out
(a) arrange or display (items) 安排或摆放（物件）
*We'll need to set out chairs for the meeting. 我们要为会议摆好椅子.
* She set out the pieces on the chess-board. 她把国际象棋的棋子摆在棋盘上了.
* Her work is always very well set out. 她的工作总是很有条理.
* (fig 比喻) You haven't set out your ideas very clearly in this essay. 在你这篇文章里, 你没把意思说清楚.
(b) state or declare sth 陈述或宣布某事
*He set out his objections to the scheme. 他说他反对这项计画.
* She set out the reasons for her resignation in a long letter. 她在一封长信里阐明了辞职原因. set out to do sth begin a job, task, etc with a particular aim or goal （带着某目的）开始做某事
*She set out to break the world land speed record. 她决心要打破陆上速度的世界纪录.
* They succeeded in what they set out to do. 他们打算做的事已经做成了.
1. Eliot says you can first make a list of 12 things, then cut it down to 6 and set your priorities. 埃利奥特说，你可以先列出12件事，然后把它压缩到6件，要确定轻重缓急。
2. Beautiful combs, pure tortoiseshell, with jewels set in-just the colour to wear in her beautiful hair. 多么好看的梳子,纯玳瑁做的,镶着铢宝,颜色恰好配上她那美丽的头发.
3. Business English is simply a set of English vocabulary words; it is not,as some seem to think, a language unto itself. 商用英文只是一组英文字汇,它并不是如一些人所想,本身自成一种语言.
4. Both these ships set out from Shanghai on June 18th, 1872 on an exciting race to England. 两船于1872年6月18日同时从上海启航驶往英国，途中展开了一场激烈的比赛。
5. Bonpland set up one of the electrometers to measure the electric discharge, but there was no reading. 庞普朗安装了一只电表来测量放电量，但电表上没有任何读数。
6. But as we started out, he always said, "You set the pace. I will try to adjust to you." 但每次出门时，他总说："你按你的步速走，我跟着你。"
7. Because time was short — the patient was dying — the Red Cross man and an officer set out in an army vehicle. 由于时间紧迫--病人已奄奄一息--红十字会的人和一名军官乘一辆军车出发。
8. When he smiled he exposed a set of perfect white teeth. 他笑时露出了一口漂亮的白牙.
9. While Alfred´s little army slowly began to gather at Athelney, the king himself set out to penetrate the camp of Guthrum, the commander of the Danish invaders. 阿尔弗雷德人数不多的军队开始在阿塞尔纳慢慢集结时，他亲自潜入丹麦入侵司令官古瑟罗姆的营地。
10. Water streamed in torrents over its sides with such force that it set up a huge wave in the canal. 波浪从盘子两侧急涌而出，在运河里掀起一股大浪。