/set; sɛt/ n
1 [C] ~ (of sth) group of similar things that belong together in some way （类似物品的）一组, 一套, 一副, 一对
*a set of cutlery, golf clubs, hand tools 一套刀叉匙餐具、高尔夫球杆、手用工具
* a set of six dining chairs 六把一套的餐椅
* a set of Dickens novels 一套狄更斯的小说
* a set of false teeth 一副假牙
* a tea set, ie teapot, cups, saucers, etc 一套茶具
* a new set of rules to learn 要学的一套新规则.
2 [CGp] group of people who spend much time together socially or have similar tastes and interests 经常来往、意气相投的一些人
*the literary, racing, golfing set 爱好文学、赛马、高尔夫球的一伙人
* the smart set, ie rich fashionable people 追求时髦的一批阔人
* the fast set, eg people who gamble, spend a lot of money, etc 放荡不 的一群人（如赌博、挥霍等的）.
3 [C] group of pupils with similar ability in a particular subject 在某学科上能力相当的一批学生
*She's in the top set in maths. 她在数学成绩最好的班上.
4 [C] (mathematics 数) group of things having a shared quality 集; 集合.
5 [C] device for receiving radio or television signals 收音机; 电视机
*a transistor set 晶体管收音机
* Do not adjust your (TV) set. 请勿自行调整电视机.
6 [sing] ~ (of sth) way in which sth is placed or arranged; position or angle （某物摆放的）样子; 位置; 角度
*She admired the firm set of his shoulders. 她喜欢他的肩膀很结实.
7 [sing] way in which sth sets (set2 13) 凝结、凝固或固定的样子
*You won't get a good set if you put too much water in the jelly. 果冻搀水太多就凝固不好了.
8 [C] (in a tennis match) group of games in which one side must win the greater number of games in order to win that part of the match （网球赛中的）盘.
9 (also sett) [C] rectangular paving stone （铺路用的）长方形石板.
10 (also sett) [C] badger's burrow 獾洞.
(a) scenery being used for a play, film, etc （戏剧、电影等的）布景, 场景
*We need volunteers to help build and paint the set. 我们需要有人自愿帮忙把布景搭起、画好.
(b) stage or place where a play or (part of) a film is performed 表演戏剧或拍摄电影（片断）的舞台或场地
*The cast must all be on (the) set by
7 pm. 所有演员必须在下午7时到达拍摄场地.
12 [C] young plant, shoot, etc for planting 幼苗; 树苗
*onion sets 洋葱苗.
13 [C] act of setting (set2 15) hair 固定发型; 做头发
*A shampoo and set costs 8. 洗头、做头发共8英镑.
14 (idm 习语) the jet set => jet1.
v (-tt-, pt, pp set)
PLACING IN POSITION 摆放
1 [Tn.pr, Tn.p] put (sth) in the specified place or position; place 将（某物）放在某处或某位置; 置; 摆放
*She set a tray down on the table. 她把托盘放在桌子上了.
* He set a post in the ground. 他在地上树起了一根杆子.
* (fml 文) We set food and drink before the travellers. 我们把食物和饮料摆在旅客面前.
* The house is set (ie situated) in fifty acres of rolling parkland. 那所房子周围有五十英亩的起伏不平的草地.
* Her eyes are set very close together. 她的两只眼睛长得距离很近.
2 [Tn.pr] ~ sth to sth move or place sth so that it is near to or touching sth 将某物移至或放置在接近或接触到另一物处
*She set the glass to her lips/her lips to the glass. 她把玻璃杯送到嘴边[用嘴唇触及玻璃杯].
* He set a match to the dry timber, ie in order to burn it. 他用火柴去点燃那乾木头.
* set pen to paper, ie begin to write 动笔.
3 [Tn, Tn.pr] represent the action of (a play, novel, etc) as happening in a specified place or at a specified time 设置（戏剧、小说等）的背景
*The novel is set in pre-war London. 这部小说以战前的伦敦为背景. CAUSING TO BE IN A PARTICULAR STATE OR TO HAPPEN 使处于某状态或使发生
4 [Tn.pr, Cn.a] cause (sb/sth) to be in or reach the specified state 使（某人[某事物]）处于或达到某状态
*The revolution set the country on the road to democracy. 这场革命把国家引上了通往民主的道路.
* The firm's accounts need to be set in order. 公司的帐目需要清理.
* She untied the rope and set the boat adrift. 她把绳索解开, 放开小船.
* The hijackers set the hostages free, ie released them. 劫机者释放了人质.
5 (a) [Cn.g] cause (sb/sth) to begin to do sth 使（某人[某事物]）开始做某事
*set a pendulum swinging 让摆摆动起来
* The sudden noise set the dog barking. 这突然的声响惊得狗汪汪叫起来.
* The sight of her set his heart beating faster. 他一见到她, 不由得心就怦怦直跳.
* Her remarks set me thinking. 我听了她的话不禁沉思起来.
(b) [Cn.t] cause (oneself/sb) to do the specified task 使（自己[某人]）做某事
*We set them to chop wood/set them to work chopping wood in the garden. 我们让他们在花园里劈木柴.
* I've set myself (ie resolved) to finish the job by the end of the month. 我决心月底以前把这件工作干完. ADJUSTING OR ARRANGING 调整或安排
6 [Tn, Tn.pr] adjust (sth) so that it is ready for use or in position 调整好（某事物）（使之随时可用或置于某位置）
*set the controls, eg of a machine 调整好控制装置（如机器的）
* She set the camera on automatic. 她把照相机调到自动位置.
(a) adjust the hands of (a clock or watch) to show the right time 拨动（钟或表）的指针至准确时间
*I always set my watch by the time-signal on the radio. 我一向按照收音机的报时信号对表.
(b) adjust (an alarm-clock) so that it sounds at a particular time 调好（闹钟）（使之按时响闹）
*She set her alarm for
7 o'clock. 她把闹钟调到7点钟.
8 [Tn] arrange knives, forks, etc on (a table) for a meal; lay1(1b) 在（桌子）上摆好刀叉等餐具准备开饭; 铺桌子
*Could you set the table for supper? 你铺好桌子准备吃晚饭好吗?
* The table is set for six guests. 桌子上摆好了六位客人的餐具.
9 [Tn.pr esp passive 尤用于被动语态] ~ A in B/~ B with A fix (sth, esp a precious stone) firmly into (a surface or an object) 将（某物, 尤指宝石）镶嵌到（某物）上
*She had the sapphire set in a gold ring. 她把那枚蓝宝石镶在金戒指上了.
* Her bracelet was set with emeralds. 她的手镯上镶着绿宝石.
10 [Tn, Tn.pr] arrange or fix (sth); decide on (sth) 安排、确定或决定（某事物）
*They haven't set a date for their wedding yet. 他们的婚期还没定下来.
* The government plans to set strict limits on public spending this year. 政府计画严格限制今年公费开支. CREATING 创造
11 [Tn] (used esp with the ns shown 尤与所示名词连用) establish (sth) 建立（某事物）
*Imposing a lenient sentence for such a serious crime sets a dangerous precedent. 对这样严重的罪行轻判就开了个危险的先例.
* She set a new world record for the high jump. 她创下跳高的新世界纪录.
* Rock stars often set fashions in clothes. 摇滚乐歌星往往创出时装的潮流.
* I rely on you to set a good example. 我全靠你来树立个好榜样.
12 [Tn, Dn.n, Dn.pr] ~ sth (for oneself/sb) present or impose (a task, piece of work, problem, etc) to be done, dealt with, etc (by oneself/sb) （给自己[某人]）提出或规定（任务、工作、问题等）来处理、解决等
*Who will be setting (ie writing the questions in) the French exam? 谁负责出法语试题?
* What books have been set (ie are to be studied) for the Cambridge First Certificate next year? 剑桥大学主办的明年的中学会考要读哪些书?
* She's set herself a difficult task/set a difficult task for herself. 她给自己提出一个艰巨的任务.
* The sudden drop in share prices has set the government a tricky problem. 股票价格突然下跌给政府出了一个难题.
* We must set ourselves precise sales targets for the coming year. 我们要为明年定出准确的销售指标. MAKING OR BECOMING FIRM OR FIXED （使）凝固或固定
13 [I, Tn] (cause sth to) become firm, hard or rigid from a soft or liquid state （使某物）由软变硬或由液态变成固态
*Some kinds of concrete set more quickly than others. 有些种类的混凝土凝结硬化快, 有的较慢.
* The jelly hasn't set yet. 果冻尚未凝固.
14 [Tn esp passive 尤用于被动语态] fix (one's face or part of the body) into a firm expression 使（脸或身体某部）呈呆板表情或姿势
*He set his jaw in a determined fashion. 他挺着下巴显得很坚决.
15 [Tn] fix (hair) while it is wet so that it will dry in the desired style 固定发型; 做头发
*She's having her hair set for the party this evening. 她正在为参加今晚的聚会做头发.
16 [Tn] put (a broken bone) into a fixed position so that it will mend 将（断骨）接好或复位
*The surgeon set her broken arm. 外科医生为她接好断臂. PRESENTING IN THE RIGHT FORM 以适当的形式表现
17 [Tn] choose a specific type2 for printing (a book, etc) 选用某字体为（书等）排版
*This dictionary is set in Press Roman. 本词典的英文排版用的是Press Roman字体.
18 [Tn, Tn.pr] ~ sth (to sth) provide music for (words, a poem, etc) so that it can be sung 为（词句、诗等）谱曲, 配乐
*Schubert set many of Goethe's poems (to music). 舒伯特为歌德的许多诗谱了曲. MOVING OR FLOWING 移动或流动
19 [I] (of the sun, moon or stars) go down below the horizon （指日、月或星）落到地平线以下
*In Britain the sun sets much later in summer than in winter. 在英国, 夏季日落时间比冬季晚得多.
* We sat and watched the sun setting. 我们坐在那里看日落. Cf 参看 rise2 7.
20 [Ipr, Ip] (of the tide, a current, etc) move or flow in the specified direction （指潮水、潮流等）流动
*The current sets strongly eastwards. 急流迅猛东去.
* The current sets in towards the shore. 潮水向岸边涌来.
* (fig 比喻) The tide of public opinion has set in his favour, ie He has the support and approval of the public. 舆论的倾向是支持他的.
* (fig 比喻) Opinion seems to be setting against (ie People are not in favour of) the proposal. 人们似乎不赞成这个建议.
21 (idm 习语) be all `set (for sth/to do sth); be set for sth/to do sth be ready or prepared for sth/to do sth 准备好某事[做某事]
*Are we all set? 我们都准备好了吗?
* We were all set to go when the telephone rang. 我们都准备好要走时电话铃响了.
* The socialists look set for victory in/set to win the general election. 社会党人似已决意要在大选中获胜. (For other idioms containing set, see entries for ns, adjs, etc 查阅与set搭配的其他习语, 见有关名词、形容词等的词条, 如 set the pace =>pace1; set fair =>fair1.)
22 (phr v) set about sb (infml 口) attack sb with blows or words 攻击或抨击某人
*He set about the intruders with a stick. 他用棍子打那些私闯进来的人. set about sth/doing sth (no passive 不用于被动语态) begin (a task); start doing sth 开始（某工作）; 着手做某事
*I must set about my packing. 我得开始收拾行李了.
* I don't know how to set about this job. 这工作我不知如何入手.
* The new government must set about finding solutions to the country's economic problems. 新政府必须立即找出解决国家经济问题的办法.
1 [usu pred 通常作表语] having the specified position 处于某位置
*a house set on a wooded hillside 在树木丛生的山坡上的房子
* She has deep-set eyes. 她的眼窝很深.
2 [usu attrib 通常作定语] (of a person's expression) fixed; stiff （指人的表情）凝滞的, 呆板的
*Her face wore a grim, set look. 她脸上显出严厉、木然的神情.
* a set (ie insincere) smile 假笑.
3 [usu attrib 通常作定语] fixed or arranged in advance 固定的; 事先安排的
*The meals in this hotel are at set times. 这家旅馆的用餐时间是固定的.
* There is a set procedure for making formal complaints. 要正式提出投诉是有固定程序的.
* Are there set hours of work in your company? 你们公司有固定的办公时间吗?
4 fixed and unchanging 固定不变的
*He's a man of set opinions. 他是个有固定见解的人.
* She has very set ideas about politics. 她在政治问题上有自己的固定看法.
* As people get older they become more set in their ways. 人越老越有一定之规.
5 [attrib 作定语] deliberate; specific 故意的; 具体的
*We've come here for a set purpose. 我们来到这里是有目的的.
6 (idm 习语) be (dead) `set against sth/doing sth be (firmly) opposed to sth （坚决）反对某事
*The government are set against (the idea of) raising taxes. 内阁坚决反对增加税收（的意见）. be set on sth/doing sth be determined to do sth 决定做某事
*He's set on going to university. 他决心要上大学.
* She's absolutely set on publishing as a career. 她决意从事出版事业.