动词过去式:shamed 过去分词:shamed 现在分词:shaming 第三人称单数:shames
1 [U] painful feeling caused by wrong, dishonourable, improper or ridiculous behaviour (by oneself, one's family, etc) 羞耻; 羞愧; 惭愧
*feel shame at having told a lie 说谎後感到羞愧
* hang one's head in shame 惭愧得低下了头
* To my shame (ie I feel shame that) I never thanked him for his kindness. 我感到惭愧的是对他的好意我从未表示过感谢.
2 [U] ability to feel shame 羞愧感
*How could you do such a thing? Have you no shame? 你怎么竟然做出这种事? 你难道不知羞耻吗?
* She is completely without shame. 她恬不知耻.
3 [U] dishonour 耻辱
*bring shame on sb/oneself, eg by doing sth wrong or unworthy 使某人[自己]丢脸
* How can we make people forget the family's shame? 我们怎么能让人忘记这一家庭耻辱呢?
4 a shame [sing] (derog infml 贬, 口)
(a) person or thing that causes shame or is unworthy 可耻的人或事物
*It's a shame to take money from those who can't afford it. 拿别人的钱使人家无以自立是十分可耻的.
(b) thing that is regrettable; a pity 遗憾的事; 可惜
*What a shame you didn't win.你没赢, 真遗憾.
* Isn't it a shame that the rain spoiled our picnic? 这场雨把我们的野餐给搅了, 可惜不可惜?
5 (idm 习语) put sb/sth to `shame be greatly superior to sb/sth 大大优越于某人[某事物]
*Your beautiful handwriting puts my untidy scrawl to shame. 你漂亮的字体把我的潦草字迹比得见不得人. `shame on you you should feel shame (about what you have done or said) 你（对做的事或说的话）应该感到羞耻
*How could you treat her so badly? Shame on you! 你怎么能待她那么坏? 真可耻!
(a) cause (sb) to feel shame(1) 使（某人）感到羞愧
*He was shamed by how much more work the others had done. 别人做得多得多, 他感到很难为情.
(b) bring shame(3) upon (sb); dishonour 给（某人）带来耻辱; 使丢脸
*You've shamed your family. 你给你们家丢脸了.
* It's quite shaming that our society cares so little for the poor. 我们这个社会对穷人很不关心, 是很难堪的事.
2 (phr v) shame sb into/out of doing sth cause sb to do/not to do sth by making him feel shame 使某人感到惭愧而做[不做]某事
*shame sb into apologizing 使某人惭愧得赔礼道歉.
1. When I think of it now, I am amazed at how much courage it must have taken for a grown man to subject himself to such shame and stress. 现在回想起来，我感到十分惊叹。像他那么一个成年人，得有多大的勇气才能经受这样的屈辱和压力，
2. To my shame I never thanked him for his kindness. 我感到惭愧的是对他的好意我从未表示过感谢.
3. They have all been put to shame by a boy who, while playing truant, travelled 1,600 miles. 而有那么一个小男孩，他在逃学期间旅行了1,600英里，从而使上述所有逃学的孩子们都相形见绌了。
4. Nothing can expunge the shame of what he did. 他行为的可耻是无法抹去的。
5. A: What a shame. We were quite lucky. A：多不凑巧。我们却很幸运。
6. You will shame on your contemptible behavior. 你会为你卑鄙的行为感到羞耻。
7. "For shame!" cried the maid. “真不像话！”侍女说,
8. It´s a shame. 太不像话了。