n.浅滩,沙洲,鱼群,大量 adj.水浅的 v.(使)变浅,驶入(浅水等),(鱼等)群集
动词过去式:shoaled 过去分词:shoaled 现在分词:shoaling 第三人称单数:shoals
n great number of fish swimming together 鱼群
*a shoal of herring, cod, etc 一群鲱鱼、鳕鱼等
* swimming in shoals （鱼）成群地游着
* (fig 比喻) Shoals of tourists come here in the summer. 这里夏季游人如鲫.
v [I] (of fish) form a shoal or shoals （指鱼）成群.
; Origin:Old English
scolu 'large group'
shoal 'not deep'
(11-20 centuries), from Old English
a large group of fish swimming together
= schoolshoal of a shoal of fish
a small hill of sand just below the surface of water that makes it dangerous for boats
1. It is now possible not only to locate a shoal but to tell if it is herring, cod, or other well-known fish, by the pattern of its echo. 不仅能够确定鱼群的位置，而且可以根据鱼群回声的特点分辨出是鲱鱼、鳕鱼，这是人们所熟悉的其他鱼。
2. A shoal of fish will do this. 鱼群也反射声音。
3. So it is a comparatively simple step from locating the sea bottom to locating a shoal of fish. 从测定海深到测定鱼群，这一进展比较容易。