v (pt, pp shot / FCt; FBt/)
1 (a) [I, Ipr, Tn, Tn.pr, Tn.p] ~ (sth) (at sb/sth); ~ sth (from sth); ~ sth (off) fire (a gun or some other weapon); fire (a bullet, an arrow, etc) at sb/sth 开（枪或其他武器）; 向某人[某物]发射（子弹、箭等）
*Aim carefully before shooting. 仔细瞄准後再射击.
* Don't shoot I surrender. 别开枪--我投降.
* What are you shooting (your gun) at? 你（用枪）射击什么呢?
* He shot an arrow from his bow. 他拉弓放了一箭.
* The police only rarely shoot to kill, ie try to kill the people they shoot at. 警察开枪很少打死人.
* The missiles were shot at the aircraft from a ship. 从军舰上向飞机发射导弹.
* He shot (off) several bullets before hitting the target. 他射出好几发子弹才击中目标.
(b) [I] use a gun, etc; hunt with a gun, etc 使用枪等; 用枪等打猎
*Can you shoot (well)? 你会放枪吗（你枪打得准吗）?
* learn to shoot straight 练习枪法
* I need more practice at shooting. 我需要多练习射击.
* He enjoys riding, fishing and shooting, ie as sport. 他喜欢骑马、钓鱼和射击.
(c) [Tn, Cn.a] kill or wound (sb/sth) with a bullet, an arrow, etc （用子弹、箭等）击毙或射伤（某人[某物]）
*She went out shooting rabbits. 她打兔子去了.
* The soldier was shot (ie executed by shooting) for desertion. 那士兵因开小差儿而被处死.
* She was shot in the leg. 她腿上中了一枪.
* The hunter shot the stag dead. 猎人把雄鹿射死了.
(d) [I] (of a gun, bow, etc) fire bullets, arrows, etc （指枪、弓等）发射子弹、箭等
*This is just a toy gun
*it doesn't shoot. 这只是玩具枪, 不能发射子弹.
* Get a rifle that shoots straight. 找一杆射得准的步枪来.
(e) [Tn.pr] make (sth) by shooting 由射击造成（某现象）
*The gun/gunman shot a hole in the door. 这枪[持枪歹徒]在门上射出一个洞.
2 [Tn] go over (an area) shooting game animals 去（某地）打猎
*shoot a covert, an estate, etc 去丛林、庄园等打猎. =>Usage at hunt1 用法见hunt1.
3 (a) [Ipr, Ip, Tn.pr, Tn.p] (cause sth to) move suddenly or quickly in the specified direction （使某物）沿某方向突然或迅速运动
*The sports car shot past us. 赛车从我们前面飞驰而过.
* A meteor shot across the sky. 流星划过天空.
* He shot out of the door after her. 他冲出门去追赶她.
* The runner shot ahead (of the rest). 那个赛跑的人向前飞奔而去（把其他人抛在後面）.
* Flames were shooting (up) from the burning house. 从燃烧着的房子里喷射出火舌.
* The snake's tongue shot out. 蛇飞快地吐出芯子.
* The driver was shot out of the open car as it crashed. 那辆敞篷汽车撞车时把司机抛出车外. =>Usage at whiz 用法见whiz.
(b) [I, Ipr] ~ (down, up, etc sth) (of pain) move suddenly and quickly with a stabbing sensation （指疼痛）刺痛, 剧痛
*a shooting pain in my back 我背部的刺痛感
* The pain shot up her arm. 她手臂一阵剧痛.
(c) [no passive 不用于被动语态
*Tn.pr, Dn.n] ~ sth at sb direct sth at sb suddenly or quickly 突然或迅速向某人抛出某物
*journalists shooting questions at the minister 向部长发出连珠炮般问题的记者
* She shot an angry glance at him/shot him an angry glance. 她愤怒地扫了他一眼.
4 [I] (of plants and bushes) put forth new twigs or branches from a stem; sprout （指花草或灌木）发芽, 生枝
*Rose bushes shoot again after being cut back. 玫瑰丛修剪後还能再长出新枝.
5 [I, Tn, Tng no passive 不用于被动语态] (esp cinema 尤用于电影) photograph (an object, a scene, etc) 拍摄（物、景等）
*Cameras ready? OK, shoot! 摄影机准备好了吗? 好, 开拍!
* We're ready to shoot (the ballroom sequence). 我们已经准备好拍摄（舞厅的连续镜头）.
* The film was shot in black and white. 这部电影拍成了黑白片.
* shoot a woman riding a horse 拍摄一个骑着马的女子.
6 [Tn] (of a boat or a person in a boat) move quickly through, past, etc (sth) （指船或船中人）迅速穿过（某物）
*shooting the rapids 迅速穿过激流
* shoot the bridge, ie pass quickly underneath it 迅速从桥下穿过.
7 [Tn] push (the bolt of a door) into or out of its slot 插上或打开（门闩）.
8 [Tn] (infml 口) (in golf) achieve (a specified number of strokes) in a game （高尔夫球）击出（杆数）
75 in the first round 第一场击出75捍.
9 [Tn] (esp US) play (certain games) 玩（某些游戏）
*shoot craps/pool/dice 玩双色子[台球/掷色子]游戏.
10 (a) [I, Ipr] ~ (at sth) (in football, hockey, etc) try to kick, hit, etc the ball directly into the goal （足球、曲棍球等中）射门
*She's looking for an opportunity to shoot (at goal). 她正在寻找机会射门.
(b) [Tn no passive 不用于被动语态] score (a goal) 射中（一球）得分
*He shot a goal from twenty yards out. 他从二十码外射门得分.
11 [I] (US infml 口) (only imperative 只用于祈使句) say what one has to say 说出（要说的话）
*You want to tell me something? Well, shoot! 你有事告诉我吗? 那好, 说吧!
12 [Tn no passive 不用于被动语态] (sl 俚) inject (a drug) into one's bloodstream 注射（毒品）
*shoot heroin 注射海洛因.
13 (idm 习语) be/get shot of sth/sb (infml 口) be/get rid of sth/sb 摆脱某事物[某人]. shoot one's `bolt (infml 口) make one's final effort, so that there is nothing further one can do to achieve one's aim 竭尽全力. shoot the `breeze (US infml 口) talk casually; gossip 聊天; 闲聊
*We sat around in the bar, shooting the breeze. 我们坐在酒吧里谈天说地. shoot it out (with sb) (infml 口) settle a contest, dispute, etc, using guns 用枪来解决竞争、争端等
*(fig 比喻) rival politicians shooting it out in a television debate 在电视辩论中决一雌雄的政界敌手. shoot a `line (infml 口) exaggerate; tell lies 夸张; 说谎
*She said she was an expert skier but I think she was just shooting a line. 她说自己是滑雪行家, 但我认为她说大话. shoot one's `mouth off (about sth) (infml 口)
(a) exaggerate; boast 夸张; 吹牛
*He's always shooting his mouth off about his success with women. 他总是瞎吹他如何能赢得女子芳心.
(b) talk indiscreetly 轻率地谈话
*It's a secret, so don't go shooting your mouth off about it. 这是秘密, 别随便乱说. shoot pool (US) play pool2(4) 打台球. shoot one's way in/into sth; shoot one's way out/out of sth get into/out of sth by shooting 开枪杀进[杀出]某处
*The gangster stole a gun and shot his way out of prison. 歹徒偷到一枝枪一路杀出监狱. shoot the `works (US infml 口) gamble or use up all one's money, resources, effort, etc 孤注一掷; 竭尽钱财; 不遗余力.
14 (phr v) shoot sb down kill sb, esp cruelly, by shooting 击毙某人; （尤指）残酷枪杀某人
*His victims were all shot down in cold blood. 他杀害的那些人都是遭他疯狂枪杀的. shoot sth/sb down cause (an aircraft or its pilot) to fall to the ground by shooting eg a missile 击落（飞机或其驾驶员）（如用导弹）
*ships shooting down fighter planes 把战斗机击落的舰艇
* (fig 比喻) His latest theories have been shot down in flames by the experts. 他的最新理论遭 专家们批驳得一无是处. shoot sth off
(a) sever sth by shooting it with a gun, etc （用枪等）射断（某物）
*His arm was shot off in the war. 他的手臂在战争中打断了.
(b) shoot (a gun, fireworks, etc) into the air 朝天放（枪、焰火等）
*People were shooting off pistols in the streets to celebrate the victory. 人们在街上朝天鸣枪庆祝胜利. shoot sth up terrorize (a place) by going through it firing guns 在（某地）胡乱放枪制造恐怖
*The gangsters ran into the bar and started shooting it up. 歹徒们冲进酒吧胡乱扫射一通.
1 new young growth on a plant or bush, eg a bud （花草或灌木的）嫩芽, 幼苗, 新枝
*train the new shoots of a vine 修整藤蔓的新枝.
(a) (expedition made by a) group of people shooting game animals for sport 狩猎队; 狩猎
*members of a grouse shoot 狩猎松鸡的队员.
(b) area of land over which game animals are shot in this way 狩猎场.
3 (idm 习语) the whole (bang) `shoot (infml 口) everything 一切; 全体.