(also infml 口语作 short) (usu faulty) connection in an electric circuit, by which the current flows along a shorter route than the normal one 电路短路. ,short-`circuit (also infml 口语作 short) v
1 [I, Tn] (cause sth to) have a short circuit （使某用电器）短路
*The lights short-circuited when I joined up the wires. 我一接上电线, 电灯就短路了.
* You've short-circuited the washing-machine. 你把洗衣机弄短路了.
2 [Tn] (fig 比喻) avoid (sth); bypass 避开（某事物）; 绕过
*short-circuit the normal procedures to get sth done quickly 为尽快办成某事不循正常手续.
1. Except for today, prices range from $6 for a dozen short-stems to $19 for a dozen of its longest stems. 除非是当天的玫瑰，否则玫瑰的价格在短茎每打6美元和最长茎每打19美元之间。
2. Euro Disneyland's short distance to Paris is a definite attraction. 欧洲迪斯尼乐园距巴黎不远，这肯定颇具吸引力。
3. But the optimism was short-lived. 然而，人们不久就不再感到乐观了，
4. But it was still too short a period for men to base a calendar on. 但时间依然太短，人们无法以此为据制定历法。
5. But it was several days too short. 但是他们的计年方法要短好几天。
6. Because time was short — the patient was dying — the Red Cross man and an officer set out in an army vehicle. 由于时间紧迫--病人已奄奄一息--红十字会的人和一名军官乘一辆军车出发。
7. But if he'd been able to speak with an educated accent in those early short comedy movies, it's doubtful if he would have achieved world fame. 但假如他在早期那些短小喜剧电影中能操一口受过教育的人的口音，那么他是否会闻名世界就值得怀疑了，
8. In short, the individual in conflict with himself and his frontier environment. 总之，主人公是一个自相矛盾，又与他的拓荒环境相矛盾的人物。
9. In short, whether or not they wholly alienate landowners and those who live in the countryside. 总之，他们是否弄得土地的主人和乡间的居民同他们反目。
10. When it really opens, probably in October, the 31-mile Channel Tunnel (the Chunnel, for short) will be 15 months behind schedule and $7 billion over a budget set in 1987. 当隧道正式开放时(可能是在10月)，这条长31英里的英吉利海峡隧道（以下简称隧道）的开通将比预期推迟15个月，耗资将比1987年的预算多出70亿美元。