1 in a short time; not long; soon 马上; 立刻; 不久
*shortly afterwards 不久以後
* coming shortly 很快就来
* shortly before noon 中午前不久
* I'll be with you shortly. 我马上就来.
2 in a cross way; curtly 无礼地; 唐突地
*spoke to me rather shortly 很不客气地和我说话.
Ms Jones will be back shortly.
shortly before/after sth
The accident happened shortly before midday.
written speaking in an impatient and unfriendly way
'I've explained that already,' Rod said shortly.
1. Shortly afterwards, the police stopped the car and both men were arrested. 不一会，警察就截住了他们的车，把这两个贼都逮捕了。
2. Shortly after the crime, the malefactor was apprehended and turned over to the police. 犯罪后不久，那个罪犯就被逮捕而且移交警方。
3. Shortly after this the famous H. M. S. Challenger expedition established the study of the sea-floor as a subject worthy of the most qualified physicists and geologists. 此后不久，英国著名的"挑战者"号舰艇对海底的那次考察，把对海床的研究确立为一个值得一流物理学家和地质学家从事的研究课题，
4. Shortly afterwards, four more policemen arrived and remonstrated with the workmen. 一会儿工夫，又来了4个警察，规劝工人离开。
5. Shortly after it was launched, the pie committee went to a local inn to celebrate. 盘子下水后不久，馅饼委员会成员们来到当地一家小酒店庆贺。
6. Shortly afterwards, the police stopped the car and both men were arrested. 没过多久，警察就截住了那辆车，两个小偷都被抓住了。
7. Shortly after our wedding, we decided to spend a couple of months in the States. 婚后不久我们决定去美国住一、二个月。
8. Leonov and his companion, Beliaiev, began making preparations for the historic walk shortly after their flight began. 列昂诺夫和他的同伴别利亚耶夫在起飞之后不久, 就开始为这次历史性的漫步进行工作了.
9. I´ll be with you shortly. 我马上就来.