1 [U] ability to see; vision 视力; 视觉
*lose one's sight, ie become blind 失明
* have good, poor, etc sight, ie eyesight 视力好、差等
* Some drugs can affect your sight. 有些药物能影响视力.
2 [U] ~ of sb/sth action of seeing sb/sth 看; 看见
*Their first sight of land came after ten days at sea. 他们在海上十天之後首次看到陆地.
* We laughed at the sight of his strange clothes. 我们看到他那怪模怪样的衣服都笑了起来.
* (fml 文) When can we have sight of your new house? 我们什么时候能够看看你的新房子?
3 [U] range within which sb can see or sth can be seen 视野; 视界
*in/within/out of (sb's) sight, ie (of objects, etc) visible/invisible （指物体等）看得见[看不见]
* The train is still in sight. 还能看得见那列火车.
* The ship came into sight out of the fog. 那艘船驶出浓雾, 依稀可见.
* The plane crashed out of our sight, ie where we could not see it. 飞机出事时那个地方我们看不见.
* The house was out of sight behind a wall. 房子被墙遮住看不见了.
* We are not yet out of sight of land, ie can still see it. 我们还能看到陆地.
* You must keep out of sight, ie stay where you cannot be seen. 你要呆在别人看不见的地方.
* Get out of my sight! 滚开!
* (fig 比喻) The end of the project is almost in sight. 该计画完成之时已遥遥在望.
4 (a) [C] thing (to be) seen, or worth seeing, esp sth remarkable 情景; 景象; （尤指）奇观, 壮观
*The flowers are a lovely sight in spring. 春天百花盛开十分美丽.
* He saw some amazing sights at the zoo. 他在动物园里看到一些珍禽异兽.
* A suffering animal is a distressing sight. 看到动物受痛苦是很难受的.
(b) sights [pl] interesting buildings, places, features, etc of a place or district 某处或某地令人感兴趣的建筑物、地方、特徵; 名胜
*Come and see the sights of London. 来看看伦敦的名胜.
5 a sight [sing] (infml 口) person or thing that looks ridiculous, untidy, etc 显得滑稽可笑、不整洁等的人或物
*What a sight you look in those old clothes! 你穿上那些旧衣服样子可真怪!
* This kitchen is a sight. Clean it up at once! 这厨房太乱了. 马上整理一下吧!
6 [C usu pl 通常作复数] device that one looks through to aim a rifle, etc or to observe sth through a telescope, etc （步枪等的）瞄准器; 观测器
*the sights of a gun 枪的瞄准器.
7 (idm 习语) at first glance/sight =>glance. at/on `sight as soon as sb/sth is seen 一见到某人[某事物]立即
*play music at sight, ie when seen in printed form without previous study or practice 视奏（未经事先学习或练习, 见到乐谱即行演奏）
* They were told to shoot looters on sight. 他们奉令见到打劫者立即射击. catch sight/a glimpse of sb/sth =>catch1. hate, loathe, be sick of, etc the sight of sb/sth (infml 口) hate, etc sb/sth very much 不愿见到某人[某物]; 讨厌; 憎恶
*I can't stand the sight of you any more. 我再也不愿见到你了.
* She hates the sight of that old car. 她见到那辆旧汽车就讨厌. heave in sight =>heave. in the sight of sb/in sb's sight (fml 文) in sb's opinion; in sb's view 依某人的意见; 在某人看来
*Do what is right in your own sight. 做你认为对的事.
* All men are equal in the sight of God. 上帝对所有的人都一视同仁. keep sight of sb/sth; keep sb/sth in sight
(a) remain where one can see sb/sth 看住某人[某物]; 监视
*Follow that man and keep him in sight all the time. 要跟着那个人, 一直盯着他.
(b) remain aware of sth 了解到某事
*You must keep sight of one fact
*your life is in danger. 有一件事你必须明白, 你有生命危险. know sb by sight =>know. lose sight of sb/sth =>lose. ,out of `sight, ,out of `mind (saying 谚) we tend to forget people or things that are absent or can no longer be seen 眼不见, 心不念. raise/lower one's `sights be more/less ambitious; expect more/less 提高[降低]要求
*They had to lower their sights and buy a smaller house than they would have liked. 他们原来想买一所大房子, 後来不得不降低要求买一所较小的. set one's sights on sth decide to achieve sth 立意做成某事物
*I've set my sights on winning the championship. 我下定决心要赢得冠军. a (damn, etc) sight better, etc (than...); a (damn, etc) sight too good, etc (infml 口) very much better, etc; far too good, etc 好得多; 非常好
*My car goes a (darned) sight faster than yours. 我的汽车比你的快得多.
* That child is a damn sight too cheeky. 这孩子脸皮太厚. a ,sight for sore `eyes (infml 口) person or thing that one is relieved or pleased to see 使人悬念而想见到的人或物; 喜欢见到的人或物
*You're a sight for sore eyes I thought you'd gone for good! 见到你真高兴--我还以为你一去不复返了呢! a sight of sth (infml 口) a great amount of sth 大量; 许多
*It cost him a sight of money/trouble. 这花了他一大笔钱[这给他惹来很多麻烦]. sight un`seen without an opportunity for previous inspection 事前未得以检查
*You should never buy a car sight unseen. 买汽车时, 事先未检查可千万不要买. take a `sight aim or observe using a sight1(6) or sights 用瞄准器瞄准; 用观测器观测
*take a careful sight before firing 仔细瞄准再发射
* take a sight with a compass/quadrant 用罗盘[象限仪]观测.
1 manage to see (sb/sth), esp by coming near 看见（尤指因接近）
*After three days at sea, we sighted land. 我们在海上航行三天後见到了陆地.
2 observe (a star, etc) by using sights (sight1 6) （用仪器）观测（星等）.