1 mark, symbol, etc used to represent sth 记号; 符号
*mathematical signs, eg +, -, *, / 数学符号（如+、-、*、/）.
2 board, notice, etc that directs sb towards sth, gives a warning, advertises a business, etc 牌子; 牌示; 招牌; 指示牌
*traffic signs, eg for a speed limit, a bend in the road, etc 交通标志（如表示速度限制、有弯路等）
* a shop-sign, pub-sign, etc 商店招牌、酒馆招牌
* Look out for a sign to the motorway. 留意通往高速公路的路标.
3 gesture or movement made with the hand, head, etc, used to give information, a command, etc （用手、头等的）示意动作（用以传递信息、命令等）
*the sign of the cross, ie a movement made with the hand outlining a cross as a blessing, prayer, etc （用手）画十字（祝福、祈祷等）
* She gave us a sign to leave the room, eg by pointing to the door. 她示意我们离开房间（如以手指门）.
4 ~ (of sth) thing that shows that sb/sth is present or exists, or that sth may happen 痕迹; 迹象; 徵兆
*signs of suffering on his face 他面部的痛苦表情
* some signs of improvement in her work 她工作有些改进的迹象
* There wasn't a sign of life in the place, ie It appeared deserted. 那儿没有生命的迹象.
* She shows no sign of being interested. 她没有表示出有兴趣来.
* There are some signs of sales increasing. 有迹象显示销售额在增长.
5 (also ,sign of the `zodiac) (symbol representing) any of the twelve divisions of the zodiac （黄道十二宫之一的）宫, 星座
*What sign were you born under? 你是属什么星座的?
6 (idm 习语) a ,sign of the `times (often derog 常作贬义) thing that shows the nature of a particular period 某时期的标志
*The rising level of crime is a sign of the times. 犯罪率增高是这一时代的特徵.
1 [I, Tn] write (one's name) on (a document, etc), eg to show that one has written it, that it is genuine, or that one agrees with its contents 在（文件等）上签（名）; 签字
*Sign (your name) here, please. 请在这儿签（你的名）字.
* sign a letter, cheque, contract, etc 在信、支票、合同等上签字
* The painting isn't signed so we don't know who it's by. 这幅画没有签名, 不知道是谁画的.
2 [no passive 不用于被动语态
*Dpr.f, Dpr.w, Dpr.t, Dn.t] convey information or a request or an order by making a gesture 示意, 做手势（传达信息、请求或命令）
*sign to sb that it is time to go/where to go 示意某人该走了[去何处]
* The policeman signed (for) them to stop. 警察示意让他们停住.
* He signed me to be quiet. 他示意要我安静.
3 [I, Ipr, Tn] (esp sport 尤用于体育) ~ (for/with sb) be engaged or engage (sb), eg as a footballer, by signing a contract （签约）应聘或受雇, 雇用或聘请（某人）（如足球队员）
*He signed for Arsenal yesterday. 他昨天跟阿塞纳尔队签了约.
* Arsenal have just signed a new striker. 阿塞纳尔队刚雇用了一名新前锋.
4 (idm 习语) sign on the dotted `line (infml 口) sign a document, etc that legally binds one, eg to buy sth 签署文件等（如购买某物）
*Just sign on the dotted line and the car is yours. 你只需签署这份文件, 这辆汽车就是你的了. sign sb's/one's own `death-warrant do sth that will result in one's death, defeat, etc 做出可能使自己致命或失败的事
*By informing on the gang, he was signing his own death-warrant. 他告发了那帮歹徒, 自己的性命也就难保了.
5 (phr v) sign sth away give up (one's rights, property, etc) by signing a document, etc 签字放弃（权利、财产等）
*I'll never get married it's like signing your life away! 我可不结婚--结婚就像签了卖身契一样! sign for sth sign a form, etc to show that one has received sth 签收某物
*The postman asked me to sign for the parcel. 邮递员叫我签收包裹. sign (sb) in/out write one's/sb's name to show arrival or departure 签上名字以示到达或离去
*You must sign guests in when they enter the club. 客人进入俱乐部你得为他们登记.
* Soldiers sign out when they leave the barracks. 士兵离开营房得登记签字. sign off
(a) stop work 结束工作
*sign off early to go to the dentist 提前结束工作去看牙.
(b) end a letter 结束一封信
*She signed off with `Yours ever, Janet'. 她在信的结尾处写上了｀Yours ever, Janet＇.
(c) end a broadcast in some way, eg by playing a short piece of music 结束广播（如放一小段音乐）
*This is your resident DJ signing off for another week with our signature tune. 这是本台流行音乐唱片节目主持人, 现在播放信号曲来结束我们为您安排的这一星期的节目. sign on (Brit infml 口) register as an unemployed person 登记为失业的人. sign (sb) on/up (cause sb to) sign an agreement to work for sb, become a soldier, etc （使某人）签约受雇、应徵
*sign on for five years in the army 签约服兵役五年
* sign up more workers to boost production 再签约雇用工人以促进生产
* The club has signed up a new goalkeeper this season. 俱乐部这一季节已签约雇用一名新守门员. sign sth over (to sb) formally transfer the ownership of sth to sb by signing a document, etc 正式将所有权签字转让某人
*She has signed her house over to her daughter. 她已签字把房子转让给女儿了. sign up (for sth) join a club, enrol on a course, etc 参加一俱乐部、课程等
*sign up for a secretarial course 注册参加秘书课程.