1 (a) having a meaning, esp one that is immediately obvious 有意义的（尤指直接而明显的）
*Their change of plan is strange but I don't think it's significant. 他们改变了计画十分奇怪, 我觉得没有什么用意.
(b) full of meaning 意味深长的
*a significant remark, look, smile 意味深长的话语、一瞥、微笑.
2 important; considerable 重要的; 重大的; 可观的
*a significant rise in profits 利润的巨大增长.
1500-1600; Language: Latin;Origin:
, present participle of significare; SIGNIFY
having an important effect or influence, especially on what will happen in the future
≠ insignificant His most significant political achievement was the abolition of the death penalty. Please inform us if there are any significant changes in your plans.significant for The result is highly significant for the future of the province.it is significant that It is significant that the writers of the report were all men.
large enough to be noticeable or have noticeable effects
≠ insignificant A significant number of drivers fail to keep to speed limits. A significant part of Japan's wealth is invested in the West. There is a significant difference between the number of home births now and ten years ago. The rise in temperature is not statistically significant.
a significant look, smile etc has a special meaning that is not known to everyone He gave me a significant look.
1. But the significant thing is not the behaviour of the players but the attitude of the spectators: 但是，要紧的还不是运动员的行为，而是观众的态度，
2. This is a significant piece of legislation. 这是一项重要立法。
3. The idea of colonising Mars----a world 160 times more distant than the Moon----will move decisively from the second phase to the third, when a significant number of people are living permanently in space. 如果有相当数量的人永久性地住在太空，征服火星的计划 -- 一个比月球远160倍的星球 -- 就可以明确地从第2阶段进入第3阶段。
4. The most significant implication would seem to be that while most people are in a good position to fulfill their biological potential — barring serious illnesses or a poor diet during childhood — it is far from certain that they will grow up in an en 最重要的启示似乎是：尽管大多数人都有条件很好地发挥他们的生理潜能 --即除非童年时得了严重疾病，或饮食太差，他们肯定能充分发展自己的基因遗传能力，但是，他们是否能生长在一个能开发其能力的环境中则远非一个确定因素。
5. Do you think that her silence is significant? 你认为，她保持沉默表示某种意思吗？
6. Descartes had unsuccessfully searched for certainty, first in the world of books, and then in the world of men. Then in a dream on November 10, 1619, he made the significant discovery that he could only find certainty in his own thoughts, cogito erg 在这之前，笛卡儿一直在寻找确定性，先是在书本里，然后是在人群中，但均未成功。之后，在1619年11月10日的一个睡梦中，他有了一个意义重大的发现，即确定性只存在于自己的思想中，"我思，故我在"。
7. And upsetting the natural water cycle (循环) on Earth makes significant problems for its inhabitants. 扰乱地球上水的自然循环会对它的居民造成严重问题。
8. Young brains may be especially able to boost brain power through exercise, suggested another of Greenough's experiments that showed the most significant changes in the brain occurred among rats that had been exercised when very young. 据格里诺的另一组实验显示，年轻的大脑尤其能够通过运动来增强能力。这组实验表明，从小就锻炼的老鼠，其大脑的变化最为显著。
9. Certainly industry has played a significant role in destroying natural areas, generating pollution and using up resources. 在破坏自然环境、制造污染和消耗能源方面，工业固然起了主要作用，但是我们才是授意者：
10. Until this dive, I had been ahead. But now, something else was more significant than winning. 在这一跳之前，我的成绩名列前茅。但现在，另外有一件事情比获胜更重要。