v (pt sank / sANk; sANk/, pp sunk / sQNk; sQNk/)
1 [I, Ipr, Ip] go down under the surface of a liquid or soft substance 下沉; 沉没
*Wood does not sink in water, it floats. 木头在水中不沉, 而是漂在水面.
* The ship sank (to the bottom of the ocean). 船沉（到海底）了.
* My feet sank (down) into the mud. 我的脚陷进了泥里.
* It fell onto the wet sand, then sank (in). 那个东西掉在潮湿的沙子上, 然後沉了下去.
(a) cause (a ship, etc) to go to the bottom of the sea 使（船等）沉到海底
*a carrier sunk by a torpedo 被鱼雷击沉的航空母舰
* They sank the barge by making a hole in the bottom. 他们在驳船底部打个洞把它弄沉了.
(b) (fig infml 比喻, 口) prevent (sb or sb's plans) from succeeding; ruin 阻止或搞垮（某人或某人的计画）; 毁灭
*The press want to sink his bid for the Presidency. 新闻界想搞垮他参选总统职位的计画.
* We'll be sunk if the car breaks down. 要是汽车坏了, 我们就糟了.
3 (a) [I, Ipr, Ip] become lower; fall slowly downwards 变低; 缓慢下陷或倒下
*The foundations sank (two feet) after the flood. 洪水退後地基下陷了（两英尺）.
* The earthquake made the wall sink and start to crumble. 这次地震把这堵墙震得下陷并开始崩塌.
* The soldier sank to the ground badly wounded. 那士兵受了重伤, 倒在地上.
* I sank (down) into an armchair. 我一下子坐在单座沙发上.
(b) [Tn, Tn.pr] cause (sth) to be lower; move (sth) downwards 使（某物）变低; 将（某物）下降
*sink the cable into position on the sea bed 把电缆沉到海底的位置
* (fig 比喻) sink one's voice to a whisper 把自己的声音减小变成耳语.
4 (a) [I, Ipr] (of the sun) go down below the horizon （指太阳）落下
*the sun sinking in the west 西下的太阳
* The sun sank slowly behind the hills. 太阳慢慢落山了.
(b) [I, Ipr] lose value, strength, etc gradually; decline 逐渐贬值、变弱等; 衰退
*Stocks and shares are sinking. 股票正在逐渐贬值.
* The value of our currency has sunk to almost nothing. 我们货币已经毛得简直分文不值了.
* He is sinking fast, ie will soon die. 他快死了.
* (fig 比喻) sink in the estimation of one's friends 在朋友中人缘越来越差
* (fig 比喻) His voice sank to a whisper. 他的声音逐渐小得成了耳语.
5 (a) place (sth) in a hole made by digging 将（某物）置于掘的洞中
*sink two posts (into the ground) here 把两根杆子埋到这里（的地上）.
(b) [Tn, Tn.pr] make (sth) by digging 掘, 挖, 凿（某物）
*sink a well, shaft, etc 掘井、矿井等
* sink a tunnel into the side of the mountain 在山腰挖隧道.
6 [Tn, Tn.pr] send (a ball) into a pocket or hole (in billiards, golf, etc) 将（球）击入袋中或洞中（台球、高尔夫球等）
*sink the red (into the top pocket) 把红球打入顶头的袋中.
7 [Tn] (infml 口) drink (esp a large amount of alcohol) 喝（尤指大量的酒）
*They sank a bottle of gin between them. 他们俩喝了一瓶杜松子酒.
8 (idm 习语) be sunk in sth be in such a state of (esp despair or deep thought) 陷入或堕入（某状态）（尤指绝望或沉思）
*She just sat there, sunk in depression. 她就坐在那里, 情绪十分低落. one's heart sinks =>heart. sink one's `differences agree to forget what one disagrees about 同意放弃不同意见
*We must sink our differences and save the firm. 我们必须消除分歧以挽救公司. a/that `sinking feeling (infml 口) feeling that sth bad is about to happen 感到要出事
*When they didn't get back by midnight, I got that sinking feeling. 他们到半夜时还没回来, 我感到心神不定. sink like a `stone sink straight down immediately 急速下降或下落. ,sink or `swim (saying 谚) (used of a situation where one will either fail totally or survive by one's own efforts 用以指或完全失败或自力更生的情况)
*The refugees had lost their homes and their possessions, and it was now (a case of) sink or swim. 这些难民失去了家园和财产, 若不自救别无生路.
9 (phr v) sink in/sink into sth
(a) (of liquids) go down into another substance; be absorbed （指液体）渗入（某一物质）, 被吸收
*Rub the cream on your skin and let it sink in. 把这种软膏搽在皮肤上, 让它渗进去.
* The rain sank into the dry ground. 雨水渗入乾燥的土地.
(b) (of words, etc) be fully understood （指话语等）完全理解
*The scale of the tragedy gradually sank in. 这一悲惨事件涉及的范围已逐渐完全清楚了.
* My warning obviously hasn't sunk into your thick skull. 我对你的警告, 你显然全不理解. sink into sth (no passive 不用于被动语态) go into (a less active or happy state) 陷入（消极、不活跃或不愉快的状态）
*sink into sleep, a coma, etc 入睡、陷入昏迷
* Don't let yourself sink into despair. 别让自己陷入绝望的境地. sink sth into sth
(a) make sth go into sth 使某物进入另一物中
*sink one's teeth into a bun, ie bite it 咬面包
* sink a knife into butter 把刀插进黄油里.
(b) invest (money) in a business, etc 将（钱）投资到某生意等中
*They sank all their profits into (ie used them to buy) property. 他们用全部赢利购买了房地产.
1 fixed basin, usu of steel, porcelain, etc, with a water supply and a drain for waste water to flow away, used for washing dishes, cleaning vegetables, etc 洗涤槽（通常由钢、瓷等制成, 配有水源和排水管, 用于洗涤碗碟、蔬菜等）
*[attrib 作定语] a sink unit, ie a sink with drawers and cupboards underneath 洗涤槽组合台（洗涤槽下面有抽屉和柜橱）.
2 (US) wash-basin 洗脸盆.
3 cesspool 污水坑.
4 (idm 习语) everything but the kitchen sink =>kitchen.