1 (a) (used as a polite way of addressing a man 对男子的礼貌称呼)
*Yes, sir. 是的, 先生.
* Are you ready to order, sir? 先生, 要点什么?
* Sir, it is my duty to inform you that... 先生, 我必须通知您....
(b) (used as a form of address by schoolchildren to a male teacher 中小学生对男教师的称呼). Cf 参看 miss2 2.
2 Sir (used at the beginning of a formal letter 用于正式信件的开头)
*Dear Sir/Sirs 敬启者.
3 Sir/sE(r); sL/ (title used before the first name of a knight or baronet 冠于爵士或准男爵的名字之前或名字与姓之前, 但不可只用于姓之前)
*Sir `Edward 爱德华爵士
* Sir ,John `Jackson 约翰·杰克逊爵士.
4 (idm 习语) ,no `sir! (US infml 口) certainly not 绝不
*I never smoke, no sir! 我从来不吸烟, 绝对不吸!
used when speaking to a man in order to be polite or show respect 'Report back to me in an hour, sergeant.' 'Yes, sir.' Can I help you, sir? Sir! You dropped your wallet.
, BrEma'amAmEDear Sir/Sirs
used at the beginning of a formal letter to a man or to people you do not knowSir
a title used before the first name of a knight
or baronet Sir Paul McCartney Sir JasperBrE spoken
used by children at school when speaking to or talking about a male teacher Sir, I've forgotten my homework. Look out - sir's coming back!
(4)no/yes sir!alsono/yes siree!especially AmEold-fashioned spoken
used to emphasize a statement or an answer to a question I will not have that man in my home, no sir!
1. Bob: She´s next door. She´s in her office, sir. 鲍勃:她在隔壁. 在她的办公室里, 先生.
2. Bob: Do you want to speak to her, sir? 鲍勃: 先生, 您要跟她讲话吗?
3. Big Ben takes its name from Sir Benjamin Hall who was responsible for the making of the clock when the new Houses of Parliament were being built. "大本"钟得名于本杰明.霍尔爵士，因为当建造新的国会大厦时，他负责建造大钟。
4. Who served you, sir? 是谁接待您的，先生？
5. Well, they´re trying to repair it, sir. 啊，他们正设法修呢，先生。
6. Thank you, sir. 谢谢您, 先生.
7. This way, sir. 先生, 这边请。
8. The great racing driver, Sir Malcolm Campbell, was the first man to drive at over 300 miles per hour. 杰出的赛车选手马尔科姆.坎贝尔爵士是第一个以每小时超过300英里的速度驾车的人。
9. Thank you, sir. 谢谢您，先生。
10. Thank you, sir. 谢谢，先生。