n.烟,烟尘,烟幕 v.抽烟,吸烟 vi.冒烟
动词过去式:smoked 过去分词:smoked 现在分词:smoking 第三人称单数:smokes 形容词:smokable
1 [U] visible (usu white, grey or black) vapour coming from sth that is burning 烟
*smoke from factory chimneys 工厂烟囱冒出的烟
* The room was full of cigarette smoke. 满屋子都是香烟的烟雾.
(a) (usu sing 通常作单数) (infml 口) act or period of smoking tobacco 吸烟; 抽烟
*They stopped work to have a smoke. 他们停下工作吸口烟.
* I haven't had a smoke all day. 我一整天还没抽过烟呢.
(b) (dated sl 旧, 俚) thing (esp a cigar or cigarette) to be smoked 烟（尤指雪茄或香烟）
*Has anyone got any smokes? 哪位有烟?
3 (idm 习语) ,go up in `smoke
(a) be completely burnt 被烧光
*The whole house went up in smoke in less than an hour. 整座房子不到一个小时就烧光了.
(b) (fig 比喻) result in failure; leave nothing of value behind 以失败告终; 未剩下有价值的东西
*When he crashed his car all his travel plans went up in smoke. 他把汽车撞坏了, 他的整个旅行计画都吹了. (there is) ,no ,smoke with,out `fire (saying 谚) there is always some reason for a rumour 无火不生烟; 谣言也总是事出有因
*He's denied having an affair with his secretary, but of course there's no smoke without fire. 他不承认和他秘书发生了关系, 但自是空穴来风喽.
(a) give off smoke or other visible vapour 冒烟; 冒气
*a smoking volcano 冒着烟的火山
* smoking factory chimneys 冒着烟的工厂烟囱.
(b) (of a fire or fireplace) give off too much smoke (and send it out into the room instead of up the chimney) （指炉火或壁炉）出烟过多（未经烟囱排出而进入屋内）
*This fireplace smokes (badly). 这个壁炉烟冒得（太）厉害.
2 [I, Tn] draw in smoke from burning tobacco or other substances through the mouth and let it out again; use cigarettes, etc in this way regularly 吸烟; 抽（香烟等）
*Do you smoke? 你抽烟吗?
* She has never smoked. 她从不吸烟.
* He smokes a pipe. 他抽烟斗.
* She smokes
20 (cigarettes) a day. 她一天抽20支（香烟）.
3 [Tn esp passive 尤用于被动语态] preserve (meat, fish, etc) with smoke (from wood fires) to give a special taste 用烟熏制（肉、鱼等）
*smoked ham, salmon, mackerel, etc 熏火腿、鲑、鲭等.
4 [Tn esp passive 尤用于被动语态] darken (esp glass) with smoke 熏黑（尤指玻璃）
*He looked at the sun through a sheet of smoked glass. 他透过一片熏黑的玻璃观看太阳.
* fit smoked plastic lenses in spectacles 把烟色的塑料镜片安在眼镜上.
5 (idm 习语) put that in your pipe and smoke it => pipe1.
6 (phr v) smoke sb/sth out drive sb/sth out by means of smoke 将某人[某物]熏出
*smoke out snakes from a hole 把蛇从洞中熏出
* (fig 比喻) He was determined to smoke out the leaders of the gang, ie bring them out of hiding. 他决心要把匪首从躲藏处赶出来. smoke sth out fill sth with smoke 使某处充满烟雾
*Turn off that pan you're smoking the place out! 快把坐着锅的炉子关上--你把这儿弄得都是烟.
1. Eat more and smoke less! 多吃点，少抽点！
2. If it (whatever it may be) won't compute and you can't drink it, smoke it or spend it, then "it" holds little value. 学生们认为如果某种东西 (不管它是何物) 没有实际的经济意义，你不能把它当酒喝、当烟抽、当钱花，那么 "它" 就简直毫无价值。
3. The smoke ascends slowly to the sky. 烟袅袅升向天空。
4. There is no smoke without fire. 无风不起浪。
5. The smoke of one small fire causes no harm to the environment. Natural cleaning processes can clean the particles of smoke from the air. 小火带来的烟不会危害环境，因为自然净化作用会将空气中的烟尘清除。
6. Now, smoke still rose up from the warm ground over the desolate hills. 现在，在这光秃秃的山丘上，灼热的地面仍冒着烟。
7. Now, smoke still rose up from the warm ground over the desolate hills. 而现在，发热的地面上仍然升腾着烟雾，弥漫在荒凉的山丘上。
8. However, the collective smoke from thousands of factories, over the past two centuries, has caused enormous increases in air pollution levels worldwide. 但是，在过去的两个世纪中，从千万家工厂排放出的烟尘已大大加剧了全球大气的污染度。
9. As she emerged from her drifting cloud of gun smoke with the water churned to foam beneath her bow, her flags flying, pennants waving, sails filling in the breeze, and the red and gold of her superstructure ablaze with colour, 当"瓦萨"号从弥漫的礼炮烟云中出现时，船头下浪花四溅，舰旗迎风招展，三角旗随风飘动，微风鼓起风帆，金碧辉煌的船楼闪耀着灿烂的色彩。
10. You are requested not to smoke in the theatre. 剧院里不准吸烟。