n.土壤,土地,国土,国家,温床,粪便,务农 vt.弄脏,污辱 vi.变脏
动词过去式:soiled 过去分词:soiled 现在分词:soiling 第三人称单数:soils
n [C, U]
1 upper layer of earth in which plants, trees, etc grow; ground 土壤; 泥土; 土地; 地面
*good, poor, sandy, etc soil 良土、瘠土、沙土
* heavy soil 难耕的土地
* clay soil 黏土
* (rhet 修辞) a man of the soil, ie one who works on the land 庄稼人. =>Usage at earth 用法见earth.
2 (fml 文) country; territory 国家; 国土; 领土
*one's native soil 祖国
* born on British soil 在英国出生.
v [I, Tn] (fml 文) (cause sth to) become dirty （使某物）变脏
*This material soils easily. 这种料子不禁脏.
* a basket for soiled sheets, ie used ones that are waiting to be washed 盛放待洗被单的篮子
* He refused to soil his hands, ie refused to do dirty work. 他不愿把手弄脏（即拒绝干脏活）.
1. For heavy rain would not only wash away the soil but would cause serious floods as well. 因为大雨不仅会冲走土壤，而且还会引起严重的水灾。
2. Water the plant regularly to keep the soil moist. 按时给植物浇水以保持土壤湿润.
3. When farmer spray poison to kill plant pests, poison is sent into the air the water and the soil. 农民为了杀死害虫而喷撒农药的时候,有毒物就被排放到空气中, 水里和土壤里.
4. The soil in that county is very poor. 那个县的土壤十分贫瘠。
5. Transplant the seedlings into peaty soil. 把幼苗移栽到含泥炭的土壤里.
6. There are a lot of worms in the soil. 泥土中有许多蠕虫.
7. The leader of the party was examining the soil near the entrance to the cave when the machine showed that there was gold under the ground. 当这个队的队长正在检查洞口附近的土壤时，那台机器显示出它的下面埋有金子。
8. Trees and bushes have been planted; the roots of these plants will hold the soil, too, and the green leaves make the area beautiful. 已经种上了树和灌木，树根会保护住这些泥土，绿油油的叶子使这个地区变得漂亮起来。
9. This soil has been dumped along the sides of rivers, and strong walls have been erected to hold it there. 这些泥土被卸在河边，人们还砌起了坚固的墙来围住这些泥土。
10. Humid soil helps plants to grow. 潮湿的土壤有助于植物生长。