名词:sorter 动词过去式:sorted 过去分词:sorted 现在分词:sorting 第三人称单数:sorts 形容词:sortable
1 [C] group or class of people or things (which are alike in some way); type 类; 种类; 类型
*He's the sort of person I really dislike. 他这种人我真不喜欢.
* What sort of paint are you using? 你用的是哪种颜料?
* We can't approve of this sort of thing/these sorts of things/things of this sort. 我们不能赞同这种事.
2 [C usu sing 通常作单数] (infml 口) type of character; person （某种）性格; 人
*a good/decent sort 好人[正派的人]
* He's not a bad sort really. 他其实并不坏.
3 (idm 习语) it takes all sorts (to make a world) (saying 谚) people vary very much in character and abilities (and this is a good thing) 什么人都有（才成其为世界）;人的性格、能力迥异（却是好事）. nothing of the kind/sort => kind2. of a `sort/of `sorts (infml derog 口, 贬) of a poor or inferior type 差劲的; 劣等的
*They served coffee of a sort. 他们供应的咖啡很差.
* It was a meal of sorts, but nobody enjoyed it. 那勉强算是一顿饭, 谁都没吃好. a sort of sth (infml 口) vague, unexplained or unusual type of sth 说不清的、难以解释的或不寻常的某类事物
*I had a sort of feeling he wouldn't come. 我隐约觉得他不会来. out of `sorts (infml 口)
(a) feeling unwell 身体不适
*She's been out of sorts since the birth of her baby. 她生了孩子以後身体一直不好.
(b) in a bad temper; annoyed 脾气坏的; 恼怒的
*He's always out of sorts early in the morning. 他大清早总是不痛快. sort of (infml 口) to some extent ; in some way or other 达到某种程度; 有几分; 有点
*I sort of thought this might happen. 我多少猜到了这件事会发生.
* You sort of twist the ends together. 你怎么把顶端缠绕在一起了.
* I feel sort of queasy. 我有些恶心. =>Usage at kind2 用法见 kind2.
1 [Tn, Tn.pr, Tn.p] ~ sth (out) (into sth); ~ sth (out) from sth arrange things in groups; separate things of one type, class, etc from things of other types, etc 将事物分类; 整理
*He was sorting his foreign stamps (into piles). 他正在整理外国邮票（, 都分成一摞一摞的）.
* We must sort out the good apples from the bad. 咱们得把好苹果拣出来, 同坏的分开.
2 (idm 习语) sort out the ,men from the `boys show or prove which people are truly brave, skilful, competent, etc 表明或证明谁真正勇敢、有技巧、有才能等
*Climbing that mountain will certainly sort out the men from the boys. 爬爬那座山就知道谁行谁不行了.
3 (phr v) sort sth out
(a) separate sth from a larger group 将某物拣出
*sort out the smaller plants and throw them away 把小棵的挑出来扔掉.
(b) (infml 口) put sth in good order 整理某事物
*This room needs sorting out, ie tidying. 这房间需要收拾一下. sort sth/oneself out find a solution to (a problem/one's problems, etc) 解决（某个[自己的]问题等）
*I'll leave you to sort this problem out. 我把这个问题交给你来处理.
* Let's leave them to sort themselves out, ie clear up their problems, resolve their arguments etc. 他们的事儿让他们自己解决吧.
* I need to sort my life/myself out a bit, before I start looking for a new job. 我需要先安顿一下, 然後再去找新的工作. sort sb out (sl 俚) deal with sb by punishing or attacking him 整治某人
*I'll soon sort him out. Just let me get my hands on him! 我就要收拾他了, 等我捉到他时再说! sort through sth go through (a number of things), arranging them in groups 查看（某些事物）并加以分类整理
*sort through a pile of old photographs 把一堆旧照片整理一下.
1. Even for the great mass of Germans who supported Hitler, I felt a sort of sorrow. 我甚至还为许许多多支持希特勒的德国人感到某种悲哀。
2. But what sort of parental stimulation should it be? 但是父母应该给予怎样一种激励呢？
3. We can´t have that sort of thing happening. 我们不能允许发生这样的事。
4. We sometimes imagine a desert island to be a sort of paradise where the sun always shines. 我们有时想象荒岛是阳光终日普照的天堂。
5. The city dweller never experiences anxieties of this sort. 城市居民从未经历过这种担忧。
6. This sort of business can only be transacted in private. 这种事情只能私下处理.
7. The English language possesses a vivid saying to describe this sort of situation. 英语中有一个生动的说法来形容这种情况。
8. The city dweller never experiences anxieties of this sort. 这种焦虑，城里人是从未体验过的。
9. They were visited by a large colony of ants which obtained a sort of honey from them. 蚜虫遭到一窝蚂蚁的攻击，蚂蚁从它们身上可以获得一种蜜。
10. This is the sort of thing that Jeremy loves. 这正是杰里米喜欢做的事情。