n.声音,语音,噪音,吵闹,海峡,听力范围,探条 adj.健全的,可靠的,合理的,有效彻底的,健康的 adv.彻底地,充分地 vi.发出声音,回响,测深,听起来 vt.使发声,宣告,听诊,测...深,试探
名词:soundness 副词:soundly 形容词比较级:sounder 最高级:soundest 动词过去式:sounded 过去分词:sounded 现在分词:sounding 第三人称单数:sounds 形容词:soundable
1 in good condition; not hurt, diseased, injured or damaged 完好的; 健康的; 健全的; 无损伤的
*have sound teeth 牙齿结实
* have a sound mind, ie not mentally ill 心智健全
* a sound constitution 强健的体质
* a house built on sound foundations 地基坚实的房子.
2 based on reason, sense or judgement; dependable 合理的; 明智的; 正确的; 稳妥的
*a sound argument, policy, etc 正确的论据、政策等
* sound advice 忠告
* a sound business firm 信誉好的公司
* Is he sound on state education? ie Are his views well founded, officially acceptable, etc? 他对国家教育的见解有道理吗?
3 [usu attrib 通常作定语] (esp fml 尤作文雅语) full and complete; thorough 充分的; 彻底的:a sound telling-off, thrashing, etc 一顿痛骂、痛打等.4 careful and accurate; competent 细心的; 严谨的; 有能力的; 稳健的
*a sound tennis player 网球技巧娴熟的人
* a sound piece of writing 好文章.
5 [usu attrib 通常作定语] (of sleep or a sleeper) deep, peaceful and uninterrupted （指睡眠）酣的, 香甜的, 不中断的; （指睡觉的人）酣睡的
*be a sound sleeper 睡得很沉
* a sound night's sleep 睡一夜好觉.
6 (idm 习语) safe and sound => safe1. (as) sound as a bell in perfect condition 健康的; 完好的
*The doctor said I was as sound as a bell. 医生说我身体很好. ,sound in ,wind and `limb (dated or joc 旧或谑) physically fit 体格强健的
*remarkably sound in wind and limb for his age 就他的年纪而言, 身体十分硬朗.
adv (idm 习语) be/fall sound a`sleep be/become deeply and peacefully asleep 酣睡着[安然入睡].
1 [U] sensation detected by the ear, caused by the vibration of the air surrounding it 声; 声音
*an experiment to measure the speed at which sound travels 测定声速的试验
* Sound travels more slowly than light. 声速低于光速.
2 [C, U] thing that produces such a sensation; thing that can be heard 声音; 声响
*the sound of the wind, sea, a car, voices, breaking glass 风、大海、汽车、人们说话、打碎玻璃的声音
* the sound of music 音乐声
* I heard a strange sound outside. 我听到外面有一种奇怪的声音.
* He crept upstairs without a sound, ie noiselessly. 他悄悄地上了楼.
* `vowel sounds, eg / u:, Q, E/ 元音（如 /u:/、/Q/、/E/）.
3 [sing] mental impression produced by a piece of news, a description, etc （对某消息、言语等的）印象, 感觉
*I don't like the sound of her husband! 我对她丈夫没有好感!
* The news has a sinister sound, ie seems to be sinister. 这消息听起来好像不妙.
4 [U] distance within which sth can be heard 可听见的范围
*A true Cockney is born within (the) sound of Bow Bells. 一个人, 要是在他出生的地方能听得到伦敦鲍教堂的钟声, 那他才算得上是真正的伦敦人.
5 (idm 习语) like, etc the 9sound of one's own 5voice (derog 贬) talk a lot or too much (usu without wanting to hear what others have to say) 滔滔不绝地说话（通常指不想听别人说话）
*She's much too fond of the sound of her own voice. 她总是说个不停.
1 (a) [La, Ln] give a specific impression when heard 听起来; 似乎
*That music sounds beautiful. 那音乐优美动听.
* His voice sounded hoarse. 他说话声音嘶哑.
* His explanation sounds reasonable. 他解释得听起来合情合理.
* His excuse sounds unconvincing. 他说的理由好像不可信.
* She sounds just the person we need for the job. 听起来她正是我们需要的人, 适合做这事儿.
(b)~ (to sb) as if.../as though... (not in the continuous tenses 不用于进行时态) give the impression that... 给（某）人的印象是...
*I hope I don't sound as if I'm criticizing you. 希望不要把我的话听成是含有批评你的意思.
* That cough sounds as if it's getting worse. 患的咳嗽像是更重了.
* It sounds to me as if there's (ie I think I can hear) a tap running somewhere. 听起来好像哪儿有水龙头在流水. =>Usage at feel1 用法见feel1.
2 (a) [Tn] produce a sound from (sth); make (esp a musical instrument) produce a sound 用（某物）发出声音; 使（尤指乐器）发出声音
*sound a trumpet 吹喇叭
* The bell is sounded every hour. 那个钟每小时响一次.
(b) [I] give out a sound 发出声音; 作响
*The trumpet sounded. 喇叭吹响了.
* The A key on this piano won't sound, ie No sound is produced when the key is struck. 这钢琴上的A键按下去不响.
3 [Tn] give (a signal) by making a sound; announce 用声音发（信号）; 发布
*sound a note of alarm/danger/warning 发出警报[危险信号/警告信号]
* sound the alarm, eg by ringing a bell 发警报（如按响电铃）
* sound the retreat, eg by blowing a bugle 发撤退信号（如吹撤退号）.
4 [Tn esp passive 尤用于被动语态] (fml 文) pronounce (sth) 发出（某事物）的声音
*You don't sound the `h' in `hour'. hour中的h不发音.
* The `b' in `dumb' isn't sounded. dumb中的b不发音.
5 [Tn] (fml 文) test or examine (sth) by tapping or striking to produce a sound and listening carefully 以敲击听音的方式检测（某物）; 对（某物）进行叩诊
*sound a person's chest, ie by tapping it 对某人的胸部进行叩诊
* sound the wheels of a train, ie by striking them 敲击火车车轮进行检查.
6 (idm 习语) strike/sound a false note => false. strike/sound a note (of sth) => note1.
7 (phr v) sound off (about sth) (infml derog 口, 贬) talk noisily and boastfully (about sth) （对某事物）大声吹嘘
*He's always sounding off about how he would manage the firm. 他总是大言不惭地说他能把公司经营好.
1 [I, Tn]
(a) test or measure the depth of (the sea, etc) by using a weighted line (called a sounding line) 以测深索（sounding line）检查或测定（海等）的深度.
(b) find the depth of water in a ship's hold (with a sounding rod) （以测深杆sounding rod）测定船舱内的水深.
2 (phr v) sound sb out (about/on sth) try to discover sb's views, opinions, etc (on sth), esp in a cautious or reserved way 试探某人（对某事物）的意见、观点等（尤指审慎地）
*Have you sounded him out (ie found out his opinions) yet about taking the job? 你是否探听出他对接受这项工作的意见了?
* I'll try to sound out the manager on the question of holidays. 关于放假的问题, 我要去探探经理的口风.
(also esp in place names Sound 又作Sound, 尤用于地名) n narrow passage of water joining two larger areas of water; strait 海峡
*,Plymouth `Sound 普利茅斯海峡.
1. Every solid object will reflect a sound, varying according to the size and nature of the object. 任何固体者反射声音，反射的声音因物体的大小和性质的不同而不同。
2. Even the boom that happens when the jet breaks the sound barrier went unnoticed. 也察觉不到飞机冲破声障时发出的隆隆声。
3. For their house, which had sound foundations, would have stood stoutly even if it had been almost submerged. 因为他们的房子地基牢固，即使洪水几乎灭顶也不会倒塌。
4. These words sound too literary to give them colloquial currency. 这些词文绉绉的，不能作为口语使用。
5. The animals were put to flight by the sight and sound of the hunters. 野兽一看到猎人或一听到他们的声音就逃跑。
6. The sound of martial music is always inspiring. 军乐的声音总是激动人心。
7. Though the sound could be heard clearly, it took me a long time to react. 虽然声音听得很清楚，可我过了好一会才反应过来。
8. Then the sound of rumbling thunder reached the watchers on the shore. 岸上观众听到雷鸣般的轰隆声.
9. They stayed underground for twenty minutes and waited for the siren to sound again. 他们在地下呆了二十分钟,等候警报器再一次响起.
10. The sound of a taxi is heard outside the house. 屋子外面传来出租汽车的声音.