1 [usu attrib 通常作定语] of a particular or certain type; not common, usual or general 特殊的; 特别的
*goods on special offer, ie cheaper than usual 特价货
* He did it as a special favour. 他做这事算是特别照顾.
* What are your special interests? 你有些什么特别爱好?
* She's a very special friend. 她是个特殊的朋友.
2 [attrib 作定语] designed, reserved or arranged, etc for a particular purpose 专门的; 特设的
*a special train, eg for a holiday excursion 专列（如为假日出游特设的）
* a special occasion 特别安排的活动
* You'll need a special tool to do that. 干那个活儿要用专用工具.
* She has her own special way of doing things. 她做事自有一套办法.
* Newspapers send special correspondents to places where important events take place. 报社往往派遣特派记者到有重大事件的现场.
3 [attrib 作定语] exceptional in amount, degree, quality, etc 额外的; 格外的
*Take special care of it. 对这东西要特别细心.
* Why should we give you special treatment? 凭什么要我们对你特殊照顾?
* He takes no special trouble with his work. 他在工作上不特别卖力. Cf 参看 especial.
1 person or thing that is not of the usual or regular type, esp a special constable, train or edition (of a newspaper, etc) 特别的人或事物; （尤指）特种警察, 专列, 号外, 特刊
*an all night television special on the election 电视上整夜的选举专题报道
* Specials were brought in to help the regular police force. 已增派特警部队协助常规警察.
2 (US infml 口) reduced price (in a shop) given prominence through advertising, etc （通过广告等宣传的）大减价
*There's a special on coffee this week. 本周咖啡特价出售.
* Coffee is on special (ie being sold at a lower price than usual) this week. 本周咖啡大减价.
a dish or meal given prominence in e.g. a restaurant
1. Each demanded some payment that was overdue: twelve shillings for the furniture and oilcloth; one pound four and one penny for the General District and Special Rates; and one pound one and fivepence halfpenny for Poor Rate. 三封信都是催债的，而且每项款都已经过了期。家具和油布十二先令；统税和特税一镑四先令一便士；济贫税一镑一先令五个半便士。
2. Even his opponents were compelled to admit that he was a man of profound learning: and this not merely in his special field of economics, but also in history, philosophy, and the literature of all countries. 即使是他的对手们也不得不承认他是一个学识渊博的人：这不仅是指他的经济学专业领域，而且还包括历史、哲学以及各国的文学。
3. Every summer about a dozen journalists gather at a former army training camp north of London to spend the day watching the training of London's special armed police unit. 每年夏天，总有大约十几名记者聚集在伦敦北部的一个旧军训营，用一整天来观看伦敦特警部队的训练。
4. We make good use of special plastics in place of alloy. 我们充分利用特种塑料来代替合金。
5. We have special river birthday parties in the summer. 夏天，我们为这条河举办特殊的生日宴会。
6. When the fire had at last been put out, the forest authorities ordered several tons of a special type of grass-seed which would grow quickly. 在大火最后被扑灭后，森林管理当局订购了好几吨一种生长迅速的特殊类型的草籽。
7. With scarcely a glance at the items, the clerk sweeps them across an aperture, where a special marking on each item is scanned by a low-powered laser beam inside the machine, connected to a remote computer. 收款员几乎不看商品，只是把商品从机器上的孔眼处一扫而过，机器里的低能量激光对商品上的一个特殊标志进行扫描，这台扫描机与另一台电脑相联。
8. Without his leadership and special way of thinking, members of the community quickly returned to the traditional marriage of one woman and one man. 没有了他的领导，没有了他的特殊思维方式，这个社区的成员就很快地恢复了一夫一妻的传统婚姻方式。
9. They intend to bring the men up in a special capsule. 他们打算用特制容器将他们吊上来。
10. The radioactive material is stored in a special radiation-proof container. 放射性材料贮存在防辐射的特殊容器内.