(a) power or act of speaking 说话的能力; 说话
*Man is the only animal that has the faculty of speech. 人类是唯一有说话能力的动物.
* We can express our thoughts by speech. 我们能以说话的方式表达思想.
* His illness left him without the power of speech. 他病後丧失了说话能力.
* freedom of speech, ie freedom to say openly in public what one thinks, eg on social and political questions 言论自由.
(b) manner or way of speaking 说话的方式
*His indistinct speech made it impossible to understand him. 他口齿不清, 无法听懂他的意思.
* She's doing a study of children's speech. 她正在研究儿童说话现象.
* His speech was slurred
*he'd clearly been drinking. 他说话含混不清, 显然喝了酒了.
(a) ~ (on/about sth) formal talk given to an audience 讲话; 发言; 演说
*make/deliver/give a speech 发言
* a speech on/about racism 关于种族主义的讲话
* He made a very boring after-dinner speech. 他在宴会後的讲话很枯燥.
(b) (usu long) group of lines to be spoken by an actor in a play （通常指长的）台词
*I've got some very long speeches to learn in Act 2. 第2幕中我有些大段台词要记.
[Language: Old English;Origin:
a talk, especially a formal one about a particular subject, given to a group of people a campaign speechgive/make/deliver a speech Each child had to give a short speech to the rest of the class.speech on/about a major speech on relations with China a conference including meals and after-dinner speeches Collins gave the keynote speech (=most important speech) .[U]
the ability to speak Only humans are capable of speech.[U]
spoken language rather than written language In speech we use a smaller vocabulary than in writing.[U]
the particular way in which someone speaks Bob's speech was slurred, and he sounded drunk.[C]
a set of lines that an actor must say in a play Hamlet's longest speech
→direct speech, figure of speech, indirect speech, part of speech, reported speech
→freedom of speechatfreedom
1. We were greatly moved by his affectionate speech. 他感情真挚的讲演使我们深受感动。
2. When we make a speech , we often use a microphone. 我们讲演时经常使用麦克风。
3. We sneered at his speech. 我们讥笑他的发言。
4. The newspaper published a condensation of the President´s speech. 报纸刊登了总统演说的节录。
5. This is only the draft of my speech, but what do you think of it? 这仅仅是我演讲的草稿, 你认为怎样?
6. The chairman was asked to make an impromptu speech. 主席被邀请作即席演讲。
7. The President gave an inaugural speech when he took office. 总统上任时发表了就职演说。
8. The speech was interesting and instructive. 报告很有意思，很有教育意义。
9. The audience was bored by the president´s interminable speech. 主席那冗长的讲话令听众们厌烦。
10. To Annie I owe thanks for this priceless gift of speech. It has helped me to serve others. 我得感激安妮给了我说话能力这个无价之宝，她帮助我为别人服务。