动词过去式:sped/speeded 过去分词:sped/speeded 现在分词:speeding 第三人称单数:speeds
1 [U] quickness of movements; swiftness 快; 迅速
*He moves with great speed. 他动作很迅速.
* The tennis player's speed is his great asset. 那个网球运动员动作迅速, 这是他的一大优势.
2 [C, U] rate at which sb/sth moves 速度; 速率
*at a speed of fifty kilometres an hour 以每小时五十公里的速度
(a) very slow speed 以很慢的速度
* at top speed 以最高速度.
(a) sensitivity of photographic film to light 感光度
*What's the speed of the film you're using? 你用的胶卷感光度是多少?
(b) time taken by a camera shutter to open and close 快门速度
*different shutter speeds 不同的快门速度
* a photograph taken at a speed of -1-250 of a second 用-1-250秒的快门速度拍摄的照片.
4 [U] (sl 俚) amphetamine used as a drug to produce a sense of well-being and excitement 苯异丙胺, 安非他明（用以产生欣快感和兴奋感）
*He's hooked on (ie addicted to) speed. 他使用安非他明已成瘾.
5 [C] (esp in compounds 尤用以构成复合词) gear 排挡
*a ten-speed bicycle 十速自行车.
6 (idm 习语) at speed at high speed; quickly 高速地; 快地
*It's dangerous to go round corners at speed. 高速转弯很危险. full pelt/tilt/speed => full. full speed/steam ahead => full. more haste, less speed => haste. pick up speed => pick3. a turn of speed => turn2. with all `speed/`haste as quickly as possible 尽快地. with lightning speed => lightning2.
v (pt, pp sped / sped; spZd/; in senses
3 用于下述第2义和第3义时作 speeded)
1 [Ipr] move along or go quickly 快速行进; 疾行
*cars speeding past the school 从学校旁快速驶过的汽车
* He sped down the street. 他沿那条街快步走去.
2 [Tn, Tn.pr] cause (sth) to move or go quickly 使（某事物）快速移动或行进
*This medicine will help speed her recovery. 这药能加快她康复.
3 [I] (usu in the continous tenses 通常用于进行时态) drive or go faster than the speeds allowed by law 违章超速驾驶或行驶
*The police said he'd been speeding on the motorway. 警察说他在高速公路上违章超速行驶.
4 (phr v) speed (sth) up (cause sth to) increase speed （使某事物）加速
*They've speeded up production of the new car. 他们加快了新汽车的生产.
* The train soon speeded up. 火车不久就加快了速度.
1. `More haste, less speed´ is a well-known paradox. ‘欲速不达’是人所熟知的隽语.
2. Bruce engaged low gear and drove at a terrifying speed. 布鲁斯接上了低档，开车速度令人害怕；
3. Bruce went into a low gear and drove at a terrifying speed, keeping the front wheels astride the crack as he followed its zigzag course. 布鲁斯挂上慢档，把两只前轮分别搁在裂缝的两边，顺着弯弯曲曲的裂缝，以发疯的速度向前开去。
4. By working at tremendous speed, the men managed to get the dish on to dry land before the wave returned. 工人们动作迅速，终于赶在那股大浪返回之前把盘子拽到了岸上。
5. But nothing can match them for speed and comfort. 但就速度与舒适而言，飞机是无与伦比的。
6. We felt little sense of speed or motion. 几乎没有速度或飞行的感觉，
7. The speed-boat had truck a buoy, but it continued to move very quickly across the water. 快艇撞上了一只浮标，但它继续很快地穿过水面。
8. The speed limit on this road is 70 mph. 这条路的车速限制是每小时70英里.
9. The comparable speed from the Moon is only 1.5 miles per second. 而从月球出发的相应速度史是每秒1.5英里。
10. This greatly reduced the speed of the ship, 这样一来，大大降低了船的航速。