(a) ability of a person to spell 拼写的能力
*His spelling is terrible. 他的拼字功底极差.
* [attrib 作定语] They were given a spelling test. 对他们进行了拼写测验.
(b) action or process of forming words correctlyfrom letters 拼写.
2 [C] way a word is spelt 拼法
*Which is the better spelling
*Tokio or Tokyo? Tokio 和 Tokyo 哪种拼法好呢?
* English and American spelling(s) 英式拼法和美式拼法.
the act of spelling words correctly, or the ability to do this
Her spelling has improved.
an essay full of spelling mistakes
the way in which a word is spelled
She quickly gave the correct spelling.
1. He is poor at spelling. 他不善于拼字。
2. An English teacher usually divides her time among three subjects: language (grammar, punctuation, spelling, etc.), composition, and literature. 英语教师一般都分三种课程来安排时间，即语言(语法、标点、拼写等)，作文和文学。
3. All this makes me see that besides a good training in pronunciation, spelling, handwriting and basic grammar, one has to pay close attention to English idioms in order to learn the language faster and use it better. 所有这些使我认识到，要想更快地学会英语，更好地使用英语，除在语音、拼写、书写和基本语法方面进行良好的训练外，还要密切注意英语习惯用法。
4. "I challenge that. You didn't do either your grammar or your spelling homework." "我有意见，你没做语法作业，也没有做拼写练习。"
5. One of them was holding an old spelling book on his knee; and they all looked sadly at the master. 有个人还在膝上放着一本旧拼写书。他们个个都忧郁地望着老师。