动词过去式:spirited 过去分词:spirited 现在分词:spiriting 第三人称单数:spirits
1 [U, C] person's mind or feelings as distinct from his body; soul 精神; 心灵
*He is troubled in spirit/His spirit is troubled. 他内心苦恼.
2 [C] soul thought of as separate from the body; soul without a body; ghost 魂; 灵魂; 鬼魂; 鬼
*the spirits of the dead 亡灵
* raise spirits, ie communicate with dead people 招魂
* It was believed that people could be possessed by evil spirits. 据说人能中邪.
* [attrib 作定语] the spirit world 阴界.
3 [C] (dated 旧) supernatural creature; elf, fairy, etc 超自然的生物（精灵、仙子等）.
4 [U, C] life and consciousness not associated with a body 神灵
*tribal beliefs that spirit is everywhere and in everything 认为神灵无所不在、无事不有的部落信仰
* God is pure spirit. 上帝纯粹是灵.
* the Holy Spirit 圣灵.
5 [C] (always with an adj 必须与形容词连用) person (of a specified type, emotion, temper, etc) （某类型的或有某种情感、脾气等的）人
*a brave, proud, generous, mean, etc spirit 勇敢的、骄傲的、慷慨的、小气的...人
* He was one of the leading spirits of the reform movement. 他是改革运动的先行者.
* She's an independent spirit. 她是有独立性的人.
6 [U] willingness to assert oneself; courage; liveliness 志气; 勇气; 活力; 精神
*He answered with spirit. 他回答得很带劲儿.
* break sb's spirit, ie destroy sb's will, sense of independence, etc 挫败某人的锐气
* Although they lost, the team played with tremendous spirit. 那队输是输了, 但却表现了极其顽强的精神.
7 [sing] state of mind or mood; attitude 心态; 心理; 态度
*do sth in a spirit of mischief 以恶作剧的心理做某事
* approach sth in the wrong/right spirit 以错误的[正确的]态度对待某事物
* Whether it was unwise or not depends upon the spirit in which it was done. 这件事可取与否全在于做这件事的态度.
* The party was successful because everyone entered into the spirit of the thing. 这次聚会因大家积极参与所以很成功.
8 (a) [sing] characteristic quality or mood of sth 某事物的特点或气氛
*the spirit of the times 时代气息
* the 16th-century spirit of exploration 16世纪的探险风.
(b) [U] real or intended meaning or purpose 实质的含义或宗旨
*obey the spirit, not the letter (ie the apparent meaning of the words) of the law 遵循法律的宗旨, 而不拘泥其中的文字.
9 (a) [C usu pl 通常作复数] strong distilled alcoholic drink 烈酒
*I don't drink spirits. 我不喝烈酒.
* Whisky, brandy, gin and rum are all spirits. 威士忌、白兰地、杜松子酒、朗姆酒都是烈酒.
(b) [U] distilled alcohol for industrial, etc use 酒精; 乙醇
*white spirit 石油溶剂
* surgical spirit 消毒酒精
* methylated spirit(s) 甲基化酒精.
10 spirits [pl] person's feelings or state of mind 精神状态; 情绪; 心境
*in high spirits, ie cheerful 情绪高
* in low/poor spirits, ie depressed, gloomy 情绪低
* raise sb's spirits, ie make sb more cheerful 鼓舞某人的情绪
* Have a glass of brandy to keep your spirits up. 来杯白兰地提提神吧.
11 (idm 习语) in spirit in one's thoughts 在内心; 在精神上
*I shall be with you in spirit, ie thinking about you though not with you physically. 我的心和你在一起. a kindred spirit => kindred. the ,spirit is `willing (but the ,flesh is `weak) (saying 谚) one's intentions and wishes are good but laziness, love of pleasure, etc prevent one from acting according to them 心余力绌.
v (phr v) spirit sb/sth away/off take or carry sb/sth away quickly, secretly or mysteriously (as if magic) 迅速地、偷偷地或神秘地带走某人[某物]; 诱拐; 诱带
*The pop-star was spirited away at the end of the concert before her fans could get near her. 音乐会一结束, 那位流行乐曲歌手没等歌迷接近她就没影儿了.
1. 'We kind of like that spirit. We don't like it with the negative attitudes. We want to turn that spirit positive.'" '我们有几分喜欢这种活力，但并不喜欢它消极的一面，而是要将它转化成积极的一面。'"
2. We had survived the Nazi horror (恐怖) and its mindless (无知的) suppression (镇压) of the human spirit. 我们挺过了纳粹的恐怖和它对人类精神的愚蠢镇压。
3. We agree with the idea that love is a spirit that changes life. 我们一致认为爱是一种精神，它能改变人生。
4. What qualities of the mind or spirit, in short, determine who succeeds? 一句话，心智或精神的何种素质决定了人的成功？
5. They were playing the game in a friendly spirit. 他们本着友好的精神比赛。
6. Kaz's father had been born to a family of some wealth and social position in Hiroshima, and had emigrated to America in the early 1920s in the spirit of adventure, not of need or flight; he never intended to stay. 和子的父亲出生在广岛一个殷实、有一定社会地位的家庭，20世纪20年代初移居美国，不是因为贫穷或者逃亡，而是冒险精神使然。但他从来没打算留在那里。
7. She continued to work in a blithe spirit in spite of all difficulties. 虽然有许多困难，但她仍继续愉快地工作。
8. Make no mistake, her hard life had not knocked the spirit out of her. 别搞错了，那艰辛的生活并没有将她的精神摧垮。
9. Courage and resolution are the spirit and soul of virtue. 勇敢和坚决是美德的灵魂。
10. Love is meant to be a spirit that works in painful situations. 爱应该是一种能缓解痛苦的精神力量。