1 [sing] stationary condition; halt or standstill 停止的状态; 中止; 停顿
*come to a stand 停下来.
2 [sing] position taken up; act or instance of standing 立脚点; 站立
*He took his stand (ie stood) near the window. 他站在窗旁.
3 [C] (period of time of) resistance to attack 抵抗; 抵御; 抵抗时期
*the rebels' last stand 叛乱者的最後抵抗
* a stand of sixty days 六十天的抵抗.
4 [C] (often in compounds 常用以构成复合词) small piece of furniture (eg a rack, pedestal, frame, etc) on or in which sth may be placed （置物的）架, 座, 台
*a `hat/an um`brella/a `coat stand 帽[伞/衣]架
* a `cake stand 糕饼架
* a `music-stand, ie for supporting sheet music while it is being played 乐谱架.
(a) structure (eg a table or kiosk) from which goods are sold; stall 货摊; 售货亭
*a `news-stand 报摊
* a market stand 集市的货摊.
(b) area or structure where things are displayed, exhibited, advertised, etc 摊位（用于陈列、展览、宣传等目的的）
*one of the stands at a book fair 书展中的一个摊位.
6 [C] place where vehicles may stand in a line in a street, etc while waiting for passengers （街道等处的）车辆候客处
*a `taxi-stand 计程车站
* a stand for six taxis 有六个车位的计程车候客处.
7 [C often pl 常作复数] large, usu sloping, structure at a sports ground, racecourse etc, with rows of seats for spectators 看台
*A cheer rose from the south stand(s). 南看台上响起一片欢呼声. =>illus at Association football (association) 见Association football (association)插图. Cf 参看 grandstand (grand).
8 [C] stop made for a performance by a touring theatrical company, pop group, etc （巡回演出的剧团、流行乐乐队等的）停留演出
*a series of ,one-night `stands 演一晚换一处的巡回演出.
9 [C usu sing 通常作单数] (US) witness-box (in a lawcourt) 证人席
*take the stand 作证.
10 (idm 习语) make a stand (against/for sth/sb) be ready to resist, fight, argue, etc 准备抵抗、格斗、争论等
*make a stand against the enemy 摆开架势迎击敌人
* make a stand for one's principles 准备为维护自己的原则而争斗. take a/one's stand (on sth) declare one's position, opinion, etc (on sth) 宣布（对某事物的）立场、意见等; 表明态度
*She took a firm stand on nuclear disarmament. 她在核裁军的问题上态度很坚决.
v (pt, pp stood / stUd; stJd/)
* UPRIGHT POSITION OR EXTENSION 直立的姿势或状态
1 [I] have, take or keep an upright position 站立; 直立; 站着
*She was too weak to stand. 她虚弱得站不起来.
* A chair will not stand on two legs. 椅子只用两条腿着地是立不住的.
* Don't stand there arguing about it. 不要站在那儿争论这件事.
* Stand still while I take your photograph. 我给你拍照时, 站着不要动.
* After the bombing only a few houses were left standing. 轰炸之後, 只剩下几所房子没倒塌.
2 [I, Ip] ~ (up) rise to one's feet 起立; 站起来
*Everyone stood (up) when the Queen entered. 女王进来时大家都站起来了.
* We stood (up) to see better. 我们站了起来, 好看得清楚些.
* Stand up, please! 请起立!
3 [Tn.pr, Tn.p] put (sth/sb) in an upright position; place 使（某物[某人]）直立; 放置
*Don't stand cans of petrol near the fire. 不要把汽油罐放在近火处.
* Stand the ladder (up/upright) against the wall. 把梯子竖起来靠在墙上.
* I stood the child on a stool so that she could reach the shelf. 我把孩子抱到凳子上, 她就能够到那架子了.
4 [In/pr] have a specified height 高度为...
*He stands six foot two. 他身高六英尺二英寸.
* The tower stands fifty metres. 这座塔高五十米.
* BEING OR REMAINING IN A PLACE OR CONDITION 处于某地方或某状况
5 [I] be in a certain place; be situated 在某处; 位于
*a clock standing on the sideboard 在餐具柜上的钟
* A tall poplar tree once stood here. 这儿曾经有过一棵高大的白杨树.
* (fig 比喻) Where do you stand (ie What is your opinion) on these issues? 对这些问题你有什么看法?
6 [I] (of a vehicle, etc) remain in the same place （指车辆等）停着
*a train standing in the station 停在车站里的火车
* The car stood at the traffic lights for a few moments, then moved off. 那辆汽车在交通灯前停了一会儿, 然後驶去了.
7 [I] remain unchanged; remain valid 维持原状; 保持效力
*Let the words stand. 不要改动这些字.
* The agreement must stand, ie cannot be altered or cancelled. 这合约决不能动.
* My offer still stands. 我提出的愿效劳的想法仍然未变.
8 (a) [La, Ln, I] be in a certain condition or situation 处于某种状态或情形
*The house has stood empty for months. 那所房子空了几个月了.
* The emergency services stand (ie are) ready to help if necessary. 紧急救难处随时可以驰援.
* She stood convicted of fraud. 她被判犯有诈骗罪.
* I stand corrected, ie accept that I was mistaken and that the person who corrected me is right. 我接受指正.
* She stands high in the esteem of (ie is greatly respected by) her colleagues. 她深受同事的尊敬.
* (fml 文) Will you stand (ie be) godmother to the child? 你愿意做这个孩子的教母吗?
* As things stand, there is little chance of a settlement in the dispute. 就目前情况看, 解决这一纠纷的希望不大.
(b) [Ipr] ~ at sth be at a certain level, point of a scale, etc 处于某水平; 指向某一点
*The clock stands at ten to four. 那个钟上的时间是三点五十分.
* The fund stands at 500, ie there is
500 in it. 这项基金有500英镑.
9 [It] be in a situation where one is likely to do sth 看情形很可能做某事
*stand to win, lose, gain, etc 很可能赢、输、获利等
* You stand to make a lot of money from this deal. 你做这笔交易准能赚很多钱.
10 [I] (of a liquid, mixture, etc) remain still; not flow or be disturbed （指液体、混合料等）处于静止状态, 不流动
*standing pools of rainwater 一汪汪下雨积的水
* Mix the batter and let it stand for twenty minutes. 和好面糊, 搁二十分钟.
* OTHER MEANINGS 其他意义
11 [no passive 不用于被动语态
*Tn, Tt, Tg, Tsg] (esp in negative sentences and in questions, with can/could; not in the continuous tenses 尤用于否定句和疑问句中, 与can/could连用, 不用于进行时态) endure sth/sb; bear 忍受某事物; 容忍某人的行为; 经受得起
*He can't stand hot weather. 他受不住炎热的天气.
* My nerves won't stand the strain much longer. 这么紧张, 我的神经快吃不消了.
* She says she will stand no nonsense, ie will not put up with foolish behaviour. 她说她决不容忍荒唐的行为.
* I can't stand (ie I strongly dislike) him. 我对他忍无可忍.
* She couldn't stand to be told what to do. 她不容别人指使她.
* He can't stand being kept waiting. 让他等着, 他可不干.
* I can't stand him interrupting all the time. 他老是插嘴, 真让我受不了.
12 [Tn no passive 不用于被动语态, Dn.n] provide (sth) for sb at one's own expense 自己付钱向某人提供（某物）
*stand drinks all round, ie pay for drinks for everyone 请大家喝饮料
* She was kind enough to stand us a meal. 她慷慨地请我们吃了顿饭.
13 (esp Brit) (also esp US run) [I, Ipr] ~ (for sth) be a candidate in an election 任候选人
*She stood unsuccessfully in the local elections. 她在地方选举中落选了.
* stand for parliament 为议会议员候选人
* stand for President 参加总统竞选.
14 [I, Ipr, Ip] (nautical 海) steer a specified course in a ship （船航行时）取某航向
*stand westward (for the island) 向西（朝着那个岛）航行.
15 (idm 习语) stand well, etc with sb have a specified type of relationship with sb 与某人相处得...
*Do you stand well with your boss? 你同上司相处得好吗?
* I don't know how I stand with her. 我不知道她对我有什么看法. (For other idioms containing stand, see entries for ns, adjs, etc 查阅与stand搭配的其他习语见有关名词、形容词等的词条, 如 stand trial (for sth) => trial; stand fast => fast2.)
16 (phr v) stand a`side
(a) move to one side 站到一边去; 让开
*stand aside to let sb pass 站在一边让某人通过.
(b) take no part in events; do nothing 不参与; 不行动; 不做事
*Don't stand aside and let others do all the work. 不要什么都不干, 事情都让别人做.
(c) withdraw, eg as a candidate in an election 退出（如竞选中）
*stand aside in favour of another applicant 退出而有利于另一候选人.