project upwards; be upright 向上突出; 竖起
*The branch was sticking up out of the water. 树枝直挺挺地伸出水面. stick sth up (infml 口) threaten the people in (a place) with a gun in order to rob it 用枪胁迫（某处）的人以便抢劫
*stick up a bank, post office, etc 持枪抢劫银行、邮局等. stick up for sb/oneself/sthsupport or defend sb/oneself/sth 支持或维护某人[自己/某事物]
*Don't allow those big boys to bully you; stick up for yourself! 别让那些大孩子欺负你, 要保护你自己!
* stick up for one's rights 维护自己的权利.
1. But her teammate almost dropped it. Wilma had to stop to get a good hold on the stick. 但是她的队员已经掉了, 威尔玛不得不停下来抓住接力棒。
2. When the dog attacked me, I defended myself with a stick. 那狗扑向我时, 我用棍子自卫.
3. Whenever we answered incorrectly, she pointed a long stick at us and, shaking it up and down, shouted, "No! No! No!" 每当有谁回答错了，她会用长教鞭指着我们，上下挥舞着，大喊道：“错！错！错！”
4. The rider belabored his tired horse with a stick . 骑士用鞭子重重地打了那匹疲倦的马。
5. That stick is cleft. 那根棍棒开裂了。
6. The stick of candy was striped with red. 糖果棒上有红纹。
7. The trainer stands in front of the elephant holding a long stick with a sharp metal point. 驯练员手持一根有锋利金属尖头的长棒，站在象前。
8. These movements are controlled by the trainer with the metal-pointed stick, 训练员要用有锋利金属尖的长棒控制它的这种举动，
9. The sad truth is that most of us have been brought up to eat certain foods and we stick to them all our lives. 不无遗憾的是， 我们中的大部分人，生来就只吃某几种食品，而且一辈子都这样。
10. The spots where the stick would come out we call the poles — the north and south poles. 棍子穿出的两个点我们称之为极点——南极与北极。