动词过去式:strung 过去分词:strung 现在分词:stringing 第三人称单数:strings
string,strict,strain,stress＝to draw tight（拉紧）
1 (a) [U] thin cord made of twisted threads; twine （细的）绳子; 合股的线
*a ball of string 一团线
* tie up a parcel with string 用绳子把包裹捆起来
* attach sth with a length/piece of string 用一根绳子把某物系住.
(b) [C] length of this or similar material used to fasten or pull sth, or interwoven in a frame to form the head of a racket 拴或拉某物的绳; （球拍的） 绳
*a puppet on strings, ie made to move by pulling strings attached to its joints 牵线木偶
* The key is hanging on a string by the door. 钥匙挂在门边的一根绳子上.
* She wore the medal on a string round her neck. 她脖子上戴着一个用绳子穿着的奖牌.
* I have broken several strings in my tennis racket. 我把我那网球拍上的几条 绳给弄断了.
2 [C] tightly stretched piece of catgut or wire, eg in a violin, harp or guitar, which produces a musical note when it vibrates （琴）弦. =>illus at App
1 见附录1插图, page xi.
3 the strings [pl] (players of) the stringed instruments (eg violins, cellos, etc) in an orchestra （管弦乐队的）弦乐器（如小提琴、大提琴等）; 弦乐器演奏者. =>illus at App
1 见附录1插图, page xi.
(a) set or series of things put together on a thread, cord, etc 穿在线、绳等上的一串东西
*a string of beads, pearls, etc 一串珠子、珍珠等
* a string of onions 一串洋葱.
(b) series or line of people or things 成列或成行的人; 一连串的事物
*a string of visitors 一列参观者
* a string of small lakes 一个接一个的小湖
* a string of abuse, curses, lies 一连串的辱骂、诅咒、谎言
* a string of wins 一连串的胜利.
(c) group of racehorses that are trained at one stable 在同一马房里训练的一群赛马.
5 [C] tough piece of fibrous substancethat connects the two halves of a bean-pod, etc （豆荚等的）筋.
6 (idm 习语) the first/second `string first/alternative person or thing (to be) relied on for achieving one's purpose 赖以实现目标的占首位的[可作替代的]人或事物. have/keep sb on a `string have/keep sb under one's control 操纵或支配某人
*She's had us all on a string for too long. 我们大家受她摆布已经很 长时间了. have two strings/a second, etc string to one's bow => bow1. one's mother's, etc apron strings => apron. (with) no `strings attached/without `strings (infml 口) with no special conditions or restrictions 不附带条件; 无任何限制
*a loan of3000 and no strings attached 一笔3000英镑的无条件贷款. pull strings/wires => pull2. pull the strings/wires => pull2.
v (pt, pp strung / strQN; strQN/)
1 [Tn] put a string1(3) or strings on (a bow, violin, tennis racket, etc) 给（弓、小提琴、网球拍等）装弦
*loosely/tightly strung 装弦装得松[紧].
2 [Tn] thread (pearls, beads, etc) on a string1(1b) 用线或细绳将（珍珠、珠子等）穿起来.
3 [Tn.pr, Tn.p] ~ sth (up) hang or tie (sth) in place with a string, rope, etc （用线、绳等）悬挂, 系住（某物）
*Lanterns were strung in the trees around the pool. 水池周围的树上悬挂着灯笼.
* Flags had been strung up across the street. 用绳子穿着的旗子横悬在街道上.
4 [Tn] remove the tough fibrous strip from (beans) 除去（豆荚）的筋.
5 (phr v) string sb along deliberately mislead sb, esp about one's own intentions, beliefs, etc 蓄意误导某人（尤指对于自己的意图、信念等）
*She has no intention of marrying him she's just stringing him along. 她并不想嫁给他--只是想钩住他不放. string along (with sb) stay with or accompany sb casually or as long as it is convenient; tag along 暂与某人相处或为伴; 跟随
*I don't want them stringing along as well! 我也同样不愿意让他们跟着来!
* She decided to string along with the others as she had nothing else to do. 她反正也无事可做, 所以就跟着大家去了. string (sb/sth) out (cause sb/sth to) be or become spread out at intervals in a line （使某人[某物]）有间隔地成行展开
*The players were told to string out across the field. 运动员们得到指示在场上按间隔距离站成一排.
* The horses were strung out towards the end of the race. 比赛中的马临近终点时拉开了距离.
* Warning notices were strung out along the motorway. 高速公路上隔一段距离就有一个示警牌. string sth together combine (words, phrases, etc) to form meaningful statements 将（词、词组等）连结成语句
*I can just manage to string a few words of French together. 我只能勉强把法语的几个词拼凑在一起.
* He hadn't prepared a speech but he managed to string together a few remarks at the end of the meeting. 他并没有准备讲话, 但在会议结束时现凑了几句. string sb up (infml 口) kill sb by hanging (esp not legally) 绞死或吊死某人（尤指非法地）
*If the crowd catch him, they'll string him up on the nearest tree. 那帮人要是抓住他, 准得找棵树把他吊死.
1. Expand your world. Many discoveries in science, engineering and the arts mix ideas from different fields. Consider "The Two-String Problem." 拓展你的视野。许多理工和人文科学方面的发现都融合了不同领域中的思想。以"两绳问题"为例。
2. By the time Ben was tired out, Tom had traded the next chance to Billy Fisher for a kite in good repair; and when he played out, Johnny Miller bought in for a dead rat and a string to swing it with; and so on, and so on, hour after hour. 等到本累垮了，汤姆早已把粉刷权转让给比利·费希尔，换来一只完好的风筝。比利·费希尔干不下去了，约翰尼·米勒把粉刷权买了下来，代价是一只死耗子，和一条甩着玩的绳子。于是买主一个接着一个地来了，时间也一小时又一小时地过去了。
3. Bits of broken glass, lengths of string, a key to a door long since decayed away, a rusty knife-blade, old shoes saved for a road that never was and never will be, a nail bent under the weight of things too heavy for any nail, a dried flower or two s 碎玻璃块；小线头儿；一扇早已朽败的门上的钥匙；一把锈蚀的刀；一双为某条从来没有、将来也不会有的路而准备的旧鞋；一颗弯折的钉，它所承受过的重量足以弄折任何钉子；一两支干花，仍散发出几许花香。
4. With the hand held high in the air, hold the string so that the weight nearly touches the ground. 把手高高举在空中握住绳子，让重物几乎接触地面。
5. The string is wound round a cardboard cylinder. 线缠绕在纸筒上.
6. The monk wears a string of beads. 和尚挂着一串念珠。
7. Tie a heavy weight at the end of a long piece of string. 把一个重物拴在一根长绳子的一端，
8. He jerked the string and the puppet jumped. 他把线猛地一拉, 木偶就跳动了。
9. All these he fixed together with glue , string , wax and many wires. 他用胶水、细线、洋蜡和许多电线把这些东西安装在一起。
10. Among these I would list string and brown paper, 这些东西中我想举出线绳和包装纸为例。