cede＝to go（去），to yield（让步） 变化型 ceed，cess
/sək'ses; sək`sɛs/ n
1 [U] achievement of a desired end, or of fame, wealth or social position; succeeding 成功; 成就; 成名; 发财; 胜利; 达到目的
*achieve great success in life 在人生道路上大有成就
* make a success of sth 某事取得成功
* The race ended in success for (ie was won by) the Irish horse. 比赛的结果是爱尔兰马获胜.
* I haven't had much success in my applications for jobs. 我那些求职信都没怎么达到目的.
2 [C] person or thing that succeeds 成功者; 达到目的的人或事物
*He wasn't a success as a teacher. 他不是个好教师.
* Of her plays, three were successes and one was a failure. 她的剧作有三部成功, 一部失败.
3 (idm 习语) ,nothing suc,ceeds like suc`cess => succeed. a roaring success => roaring (roar). a suc`cess story person or thing that is very successful (esp unexpectedly or in the face of difficulties) 大获成功的人或事物（尤指意外地或面对困难时）
*Her rapid rise to the top has been one of the film industry's most remarkable success stories. 她迅速走红是电影界最杰出的一个事例.
n [U and C]
1500-1600; Language: Latin;Origin:
, past participle of succedere; SUCCEED
when you achieve what you want or intend
≠ failurebe a big/huge/great etc success The experiment was a big success.without success I tried to contact him, but without success. What's the secret of your success ? Their efforts finally met with some success (=they were successful) . I didn't think my chances of success were very good. She puts her success down to good luck (=says it is caused by good luck) .success in doing sth Did you have any success in persuading Alan to come?
when a lot of people like something, buy something, go to see something etc
≠ failurebe a big/huge/great etc success The film was a great success. Her book has enjoyed a lot of success (=it has been very successful) . The play was a box-office success (=many people went to see it) . The show was an overnight success (=it was immediately successful) .
when someone achieves a high position in their job, course, sport, in society etc
≠ failure Success isn't everything, you know.success in He has already had a lot of success in his career.be a success as a ...
(=be successful in a particular job) She wasn't much of a success as a lawyer. She's determined to make a success of (=be successful in) her career.
when a business makes a lot of money
≠ failure the success of his latest business venturebe a big/huge/great etc success The firm wasn't a great success.success story
someone or something that is successful The company has been a major success story.
1. But the very success of jukus in training youngsters to pass exams has made the competition worse: Jukus help more students pass exams, so the exams have to be made more difficult. 然而，恰恰是课外学校在训练孩子通过考试方面的成功，使得竞争更为激烈：课外学校帮助越来越多的孩子通过考试，考试就需设计得越来越难。
2. We have only a diaphanous hope of success. 我们只有隐约的成功希望。
3. We are within a measurable distance of success. 我们接近胜利了。
4. Wilmut's success didn't come easily. 威尔莫特的成功得来不易。
5. Whether or not this is true, the high success rate of arranged marriages in different cultures — 90 percent in Iran, 95 percent in India, 不管这种说法是否正确，不同文化中包办婚姻的成功率之高，却不由得使人驻足沉思：伊朗90%，印度95%，
6. While the media continues to show men of all ages alongside young, smooth-skinned women as a vision of success, women will go on investing in pots of worthless rubbish. 只要媒体继续将成功的形象表现为各年龄层的男性身边伴着皮肤光滑的年轻女性，妇女们就会继续花钱去买一瓶又一瓶毫无价值的垃圾。
7. The success was due not to one man but to corporate effort. 成功非一人之功, 而是集体努力的结果。
8. The book ensured his success. 那本书确定了他的成就.
9. The fundamental cause of his success is his hard work. 他成功的根本原因是工作努力。
10. The film was only a partial success. 这部电影仅仅是部分成功。