cide＝to cut（切） 变化型 cise
/'su:ɪsaɪd; also, in ɑritish use, 英式英语读作 'sju:ɪ-; `suə,saɪd/
1 (a) [U] killing oneself intentionally 自杀
*commit suicide 自杀
* four cases of suicide 四起自杀案件.
(b) [C] act of this 自杀行为
*three suicides in one week 一周中的三起自杀事件.
2 [C] person who commits suicide 自杀者.
3 [U] (fig 比喻) any action that may have serious consequences for oneself 给自己带来严重後果的行为
*political suicide, ie action by a politician that will ruin his career 政治上的自杀（政治家自毁前程）
* economic suicide, eg adopting policies that will ruin the economy 经济上的自杀（如施行导致经济崩溃的政策）.
n [U and C]
1600-1700; Language: Latin;Origin:
sui 'of oneself'
the act of killing yourself More people commit suicide at Christmas than at any other time. My mother attempted suicide on many occasions. He apparently left a suicide note (=letter explaining his reasons for killing himself) .see usage notekill1 political/economic suicide
something you do that ruins your good position in politics or the economy He said a vote for Labour would be a vote for economic suicide.suicide attack/mission/bombing etc
an attack etc in which the person who carries out the attack deliberately kills himself or herself in the process of killing other people
1. That´s nonsense.Without money, I would be so sad I would commit suicide at once. 无稽之谈,如果没有钱,我伤心的几乎要马上自杀.
2. Health insurance does not cover AIDS, abortion and suicide, nor dental and eyesight bills. 健康保险不包括艾滋病、人工流产和自杀后的治疗，也不支付治疗牙齿和配眼镜的费用。
3. Many eyebrows were raised at the news of the prince´s suicide. 王子自杀的消息让众人都很吃惊。
4. One student killed her roommate before committing suicide. 一位学生将她的室友杀害后自杀。
5. I would be so sad I would commit suicide at once. 我伤心的几乎要马上自杀.