动词过去式:sustained 过去分词:sustained 现在分词:sustaining 第三人称单数:sustains 形容词:sustainable 名词:sustainability
tain,ten,tin＝to hold,to keep（安静）
1 (fml 文) bear (weight) without breaking or falling
*support 承受住（重量）; 支承; 支撑
*Will this shelf sustain the weight of all these books? 这个书架承受得住这些书的重量吗?
2 (a) keep (sb/sth) alive or in existence 维持（某人[某物]）的生命或存在
*You should eat good sustaining food, ie food that gives strength. 你应该吃些能增强体力的食物.
* not enough oxygen to sustain life 氧气稀少不足以维持生命
* Only the hope that the rescuers were getting nearer sustained the trapped miners, ie kept them cheerful and enabled them to stay alive. 遇难矿工盼望援救人员正在接近他们, 这是他们赖以坚持下去的唯一希望.
(b) keep (a sound, an effort, etc) going; maintain 使（声音、努力等）持续下去; 保持
*The book's weakness is the author's inability to sustain an argument. 该书的缺点在于作者未能把论证展开.
* sustain a note, ie continue to play or sing it without interruption 继续演奏（或演唱）某一音符
* make a sustained effort to finish off the work 坚持不懈以完成该项工作
* The clapping was sustained for several minutes. 掌声持续了几分钟.
3 (fml 文) undergo (sth); suffer 经受（某事物）; 遭受
*sustain a defeat, an injury, a loss 遭受失败、伤害、损失
* He sustained a severe blow on the head. 他头部受到重击.
4 (law 律) decide that (a claim, etc) is valid; uphold 确认（某项要求等）正当有效; 认可; 准许
*The court sustained his claim that the contract was illegal. 法庭确认他的要求正当, 宣布该合同不合法.
* Objection sustained! 反对有效!
1【make something continue】2【suffer】3【food/drink】4【give strength】5【weight】6【idea】
1200-1300; Language: Old French;Origin:
sustenir, from Latin
sustinere 'to hold up, sustain'
, from sub- 'up'
+ tenere 'to hold'
]【MAKE SOMETHING CONTINUE】
to make something continue to exist or happen for a period of time
= maintain She found it difficult to sustain the children's interest. He was incapable of sustaining close relationships with women. the policies necessary to sustain economic growth
to suffer damage, an injury, or loss of money Two of the fire-fighters sustained serious injuries. Some nearby buildings sustained minor damage. The company has sustained heavy financial losses this year.【FOOD/DRINK】formal
if food or drink sustains a person, animal, or plant, it makes them able to continue living They gave me barely enough food to sustain me.【GIVE STRENGTH】formal
to make someone feel strong and hopeful The thought of seeing her again was all that sustained me.【WEIGHT】formal
to hold up the weight of something
= support He leant against her so heavily that she could barely sustain his weight.【IDEA】formal
to support an idea or argument, or prove that it is right This argument is difficult to sustain.
1. Euro Disney said that although attendance levels had been high, "the company anticipates that it will sustain a net loss for the financial year ending September 30, 1992". 欧洲迪斯尼公司说尽管游客量一直相当大，"公司预计在1992年9月30日结束的财政年度里会有净亏损。"
2. Will this shelf sustain the weight of all these books? 这个书架承受得住这些书的重量吗?
3. Nor, I would venture to suggest, is love enough to sustain a marriage relationship. 我想冒昧地说，要维系婚姻关系，仅有爱也是不够的。
4. Announced Thursday that it would sustain a net financial loss of unpredictable scale in its first financial year. 该公司星期四称在首个财政年度里公司将继续蒙受难以预料的净亏损。