v (pt, pp swept / swept; swZpt/)
1 (a) [I, Tn, Tn.pr, Tn.p] ~ sth (from, off, into, etc sth); ~ sth (away, up, etc) remove (dust, dirt, etc) with or as if with a broom or brush 扫, 掸, 打扫（灰尘、污垢等）
*Have you swept in here? 这里你打扫过了吗?
* sweep the dust from the carpets 清扫地毯上的灰尘
* sweep the crumbs under the carpet, off the table, into the dustpan 清扫地毯下面的碎屑、抹去桌子上面的面包屑、把碎屑扫入簸箕里
* sweep away bits of paper 把碎纸片扫掉
* sweep the dead leaves up 扫除枯叶.
(b) [Tn, Tn.p, Cn.a] ~ sth (out) clean sth by doing this 扫、掸或打扫某物
*sweep the carpet, floor, yard 打扫地毯、地板、院子
* sweep out the porch 把门廊打扫乾净
* sweep the chimney (free of soot) 打扫烟囱（的煤炱）
* Have the stairs been swept clean? 楼梯打扫乾净了吗?
2 [Tn.pr,Tn.p] move or remove (sb/sth) powerfully and unstoppablyby pushing, flowing, etc 藉推力、流动力等强劲而不停地带动或移走（某人[某物]）
*The current swept the logs down the river. 水流冲着原木沿河而下.
* We were almost swept off our feet by the waves. 我们几乎让浪头给打倒了.
* She got swept along by the crowd. 她被人群拥着向前走.
* Many bridges were swept away by the floods. 洪水冲毁了许多桥梁.
* (fig 比喻) Old laws were swept away by the revolution. 这场革命彻底摧毁了旧的法制.
3 [Ipr, Ip, Tn] move quickly over (an area) 扫过, 掠过（某地方）
*A huge wave swept over the deck. 一个巨浪掠过甲板.
* The fire swept rapidly across the wooded countryside. 这场大火迅速烧遍树木茂密的郊野.
* Rumours swept through the town. 城里谣言四起.
* Cold winds swept the plains. 寒风掠过平原.
* (fig 比喻) The party swept the country, ie won the election by a large majority. 该党在全国的选举中大获全胜.
4 [Ipr, Ip] move in a smooth or dignified way (in the direction specified) 平稳地或庄重地（向某方向）移动
*She swept out of the room. 她大模大样地走出了房间.
* The big car swept up the drive to the front of the house. 那辆大轿车稳稳地顺着车道驶到房子前面.
5 [Ipr, Ip] extend in an unbroken line, curve or slope (in the direction specified) 延伸; 蜿蜒; 伸展; 绵延
*The road sweeps round the lake. 这条路环绕着湖往前蜿蜒.
* The coast sweeps (away) northwards in a wide curve. 海岸呈一大弧形向北伸展.
6 [Tn] pass over (sth) in order to examine, search or survey it 扫视, 搜索（某物）
*The searchlights swept the sky. 探照灯搜寻着天空.
* Her eyes swept the room. 她的眼睛扫视了一下那个房间.
7 [Tn] move over or along (sth) touching it lightly 轻轻擦过、掠过（某物）
*His fingers swept the keys of the piano. 他的手指在钢琴键盘上轻快地移动.
* Her dress swept the ground. 她的连衣裙在地面上拖曳着.
8 (idm 习语) sweep sth under the `carpet hide sth which might cause trouble or a scandal 掩盖某事（以免造成麻烦或丑闻）
*sweep embarrassing evidence under the carpet 把令人难堪的证据掩盖起来. sweep the `board win all the prizes, money, games, etc 赢得所有的奖品、金钱、比赛等
*Switzerland swept the board in the skiing competition. 瑞士在滑雪比赛中囊括了所有的奖项. sweep sb off his feet overwhelm sb with emotion, esp with love 使某人倾心（尤指因爱情）
*I was swept off my feet by her wit and charm. 她才貌双全, 我佩服得五体投地.
1 (also `sweep-out) [C usu sing通常作单数] act of sweeping 扫; 掸; 打扫
*Give the rooma good sweep. 把这房间好好打扫一下.
2 [C] sweeping (sweep1 2) movement （藉推力、流动力等的）带动, 移走; 摆动; 挥动
*the sweep of a pendulum 摆的摆动
* with a sweep of his arm, scythe 他用臂、镰刀一挥.
3 [C usu sing 通常作单数] long unbroken (often curved) stretch of road, river, coast, etc or of sloping land 延伸的（常指弯的）路、河、岸等; 绵延的坡地
*the broad sweep of white cliffs round the bay 海湾周围一大片白色的峭壁.
4 [U] (fig 比喻) extent covered by sth; range 包括有某事物的一段; 范围
*the impressive sweep of a historical novel 一部历史小说感人的内容.
5 [C] movement over an area in order to search, attack, etc 搜索、扫荡等行动
*a sweep over the bay by a rescue helicopter 救援直升飞机在海湾进行的一次搜索活动
* The police made a thorough sweep of the field where the dead child's body was found. 警方在发现那孩子尸体的现场进行了仔细的搜查.
6 [C] = chimney-sweep (chimney).
7 [C] = sweepstake.
8 (idm 习语) a clean sweep => clean1.